It's all about Derby!

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Firstly, you're confusing our options:
1) Play for a draw
2) Play to win, but if it's looking like a draw, take it
3) We have to win. If it's level with a couple of minutes to go, send Stockdale up.

We don't want to do 1, because it could backfire and we could still lose.
We don't want to do 3, which is what you're (maybe accidentally) suggesting, because it's daft.
We want to go for 2. If we score, great, let's see if we can get another. Who knows, we could get several and help our GD. But let's not be silly - if we finish with a draw (after Middlesbrough have won) that will be ok.

Secondly, regarding Burnley: if Middlesbrough win and we draw against Derby, I'd be happy enough (even though I'd prefer a win). It means we've got 1 game left and we're promoted if we win. The chances of Burnley getting less than 4 points is not good.

I don't think the reality of needing to win the game on Monday would involve Stockdale coming up for a corner, unless we were losing. You seem to be looking at this mathematically rather than in a focused football way. Monday is not a must not lose game it is a must win game and the club and the fans need to look at it that way. The Derby game is as must win as the Charlton, QPR, Fulham or any other match. If we going to be thinking a draw is enough, likelihood is we will get beat by a good Derby team. My reason for starting the thread was that too much focus is on the Middlesbrough match. When we have a really hard game on Monday that we, in my opinion need to win. One Game at a time.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I really don't think what we, the fans,think matters a jot. We are all emotionally involved in the club,more,possibly than nearly all of the players. We worry about what could go wrong, what if the key players are injured, what if Derby players read this and think we are ripe for plucking, as we are over confident, what if we have incurred the wrath of the football Gods, by wearing the wrong underpants, what if the players dont fancy the weather, or the ref, or being on the telly, or the kick- off time?
It's all completely understandable, I do it myself, but in reality, it means nothing, the only peoples opinions who matter, are the 18 players in the squad and the manager, and I think they are professional enough to focus only on whats important, and ignore the fluff and fuss. I hope,and trust that all they are concentrated on just beating a good Derby side, and then moving on to beatig Boro

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't think the reality of needing to win the game on Monday would involve Stockdale coming up for a corner, unless we were losing. You seem to be looking at this mathematically rather than in a focused football way. Monday is not a must not lose game it is a must win game
We were discussing this on the basis that Middlesbrough win their game on Friday, and if that happens, you've got it completely wrong. There's no point me being diplomatic and saying my opinion is different, you've just got it wrong.

If Middlesbrough win their game and we:
1) Lose against Derby - our auto promotion push is practically over. We'd have to beat Middlesbrough by at least 2 goals, and even 2 might not be enough.
2) Draw against Derby - we have to win our last game for promotion
3) Win against Derby - we probably have to win our last game for promotion, it's practically the same as if we drew against Derby.

The Derby game is as must win as the Charlton, QPR, Fulham or any other match.
That's not the case, as Middlesbrough just lost points in their last game and we now know that a draw or win against Derby would be about the same, whereas a loss would be a nightmare.

If we going to be thinking a draw is enough, likelihood is we will get beat by a good Derby team.
As I already said, I think the team should play attacking football to win, ideally by a lot, not approach it looking for a draw. If it's level with 5 minutes to go, we're more likely to lose if we're cavalier about it.

My reason for starting the thread was that too much focus is on the Middlesbrough match. When we have a really hard game on Monday that we, in my opinion need to win. One Game at a time.
Everyone knows that. The team will only be thinking about Derby, and the fans in the stadium will only be cheering the team on for that game.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Derby now have Hughes back and he is a massive plus for them. That said neither Derby or 'Boro have played us with Knockhaert and Skalak - in fact 'Boro have only played our reserves this season - so all to play for methinks!!

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
We were discussing this on the basis that Middlesbrough win their game on Friday, and if that happens, you've got it completely wrong. There's no point me being diplomatic and saying my opinion is different, you've just got it wrong.

If Middlesbrough win their game and we:
1) Lose against Derby - our auto promotion push is practically over. We'd have to beat Middlesbrough by at least 2 goals, and even 2 might not be enough.
2) Draw against Derby - we have to win our last game for promotion
3) Win against Derby - we probably have to win our last game for promotion, it's practically the same as if we drew against Derby.

That's not the case, as Middlesbrough just lost points in their last game and we now know that a draw or win against Derby would be about the same, whereas a loss would be a nightmare.

As I already said, I think the team should play attacking football to win, ideally by a lot, not approach it looking for a draw. If it's level with 5 minutes to go, we're more likely to lose if we're cavalier about it.

Everyone knows that. The team will only be thinking about Derby, and the fans in the stadium will only be cheering the team on for that game.

Ah, but your 1, 2, 3 above works on the principle that Boro beat Brum, if they draw it changes things with option 3 being we would only need a draw against Boro.

Think it should be accepted that unless Burnley suddenly implode over the next two games the likelihood is that they will win the league (not guaranteed, funnier things happen). The bookies appear to agree with me on that too, however the bookies also seem to believe we are rank outsiders of the three as they obviously don't believe we can go to Boro and win. Here's hoping Brum do us a massive massive favour!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah, but your 1, 2, 3 above works on the principle that Boro beat Brum
Yes, that is the scenario we were discussing.

if they draw it changes things with option 3 being we would only need a draw against Boro.
Yes, if they draw I'd say we need to go all out for the win. If we're still level with a few minutes left, caution to the wind, attack attack attack, and if we then lose, no worries, nothing's changed.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
4-0 v Derby would do quite nicely if Boro win by the odd goal at Birmingham. That would mean a draw at Boro would we be enough for promotion.
Unlikely but not impossible see- 5-0, 4-0 Fulham, QPR.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry to state the obvious, but I feel that some of us are jumping ahead one game to the Middlesbrough match, without realising what a tough game we have on Monday. Derby are a very very good side and could easily upset us and come away with the three points. This is the game I have been most concerned about in the last couple of weeks. Derby have the pressure off, play-off place assured and psychologically to beat us before the play-offs will be a huge boost to them, especially if we are in the play-offs with them. A win would put huge pressure on to Burnley. Regardless of what's going on in any of the matches we must to win this game. Some have said that we can still go up with a draw, but we just can't think that way, nor can the team. We have no room for complacency on Monday. It needs to be all-out concentration to win this game and 90 minutes of the AMEX rocking! So forget about Middlesbrough on the last day, and concentrate hundred percent on Monday against Derby nothing else matters!

Best thing going in our favour by a country mile is that the Derby chairman just very recently sacked a manager for setting his sights on promotion this season. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the caretaker manager just followed team orders and sent out their reserve side.

lordlush1972

Aug 15, 2006
Newhaven
I think a few of the players that were here will rember the battering we got in the play offs last time and will be desperate to put that right Monday

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Best thing going in our favour by a country mile is that the Derby chairman just very recently sacked a manager for setting his sights on promotion this season. Wouldn't be surprised at all if the caretaker manager just followed team orders and sent out their reserve side.

Strangely since sacking Clement Derby have found decent form, averaging 2pts a game over the last 10 games. Think that whole "we not want to go up" was a smokescreen and took the pressure off them!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
4-0 v Derby would do quite nicely if Boro win by the odd goal at Birmingham. That would mean a draw at Boro would we be enough for promotion.
Unlikely but not impossible see- 5-0, 4-0 Fulham, QPR.

3-0 v Derby would be enough in the scenario surely? Albion would be promoted on goals scored with a draw at Boro.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Some have said that we can still go up with a draw, but we just can't think that way, nor can the team.

Pointing out the fact that we can go up with a draw (and then a win), is really not the same as wanting/playing for a draw.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
That's a 6 goal swing in Brighton's favour, how many do you anticipate us losing to Derby by?
Losing by 1 the smallest margin. If Boro win their match at Birmingham by 1 goal the goal difference will be +29 / +34. So a 3-0 win for the Albion would be required to go up on goal difference.

This is why I'm saying Monday is must win, forget about the Boro game until after Monday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports