Buckley
Ulloa

Which of the above can't score?

Bridge
Calderon
Hammond
Bruno

We don't need a loan striker, reminds me of the story of Diamonds in your own field. Look at what we have already, its in our own squad!

I see your point but Gus says he really wants a loan striker.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I've heard we are homing in on a premiership player as we speak.

It had better be a Premiership player if the negotiating terms Gus alluded to in the Argus are correct. Guaranteed starting place in the team = Massive Ego. I wonder who we're talking to?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Where is this £100 figure from, who is this top class striker we can sign for less than £10k a week, with no loan fee, who's club will let us have him definetely until after the play-off final
I think I said the £100k amount, I just feel that if the average Premier player is on say £20K per week and we agree a 50 / 50 that equates to £10k per week.

We have to be realistic we aren't going to get in top class but we are going to get experience and better than we already have in reserve. Maybe even a player like Upson who is going to be out of contract at the end of the season and out of the current team and wants to be seen in the shop window again, Darren Bent (just an idea).

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
I see your point but Gus says he really wants a loan striker.

Trouble is, its not Gus s style to play two strikers, the last time we had that many on the pitch we scored thrre goals in ten minutes, so I can't see that happening again, ha ha. Loan market, doesn't bring commitment, i'd be concerned, seen to many average strikers down here this season and they're first team choices. The manager will manage and the directors will direct, we will watch and the squad between them will socre the goals, WE WILL REACH THE PLAYOFFS.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So are you saying leave it as it is and gamble on the Developement Squad players being thrown in at the deep end to finish our season.

Sorry but that would end of season and Play Off chances.

In the grand scheme of the Albion what is £100K.

No, what I am saying is that we could fork out the money which is wasted. There's no guarantee that spending money will bring success. Obviously, I hope that we try.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
h'm ok then...!! so he's not playing.i'll get off my milk crate then..!!

He is playing, but he is not on loan, he is part of the coaching staff. He is also rubbish, when the Blackburn game got cancelled we went to watch Stanley, i did not even know he was playing until he got a two yard tap in. He has 6 goals this season in League 2, I do not see you suggesting we sign Padraig Amond who has scored 7 goals for the same Accy side.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is the business end of the season. Why would ANY team want to get rid of a quality striker now, particularly when players are beginning to tire? I find it hard to imagine a more difficult time to bring someone in than now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think break the bank is a figure of speech. If we can get in a striker who can score maybe 5 goals in the last nine games this could be the difference between sixth or seventh place. May not guarantee the future but would show the fans that the intention is there to push on for a Play Off spot and not just roll over and blame current events. Let's see the club try to become the master of our own destiny.

How much would a loan striker cost for two months, surely no more than £100K and we will get some of that back by fining Barnes.

You are right of course it is a figure of speech ..but I'd never rely on one player ..he gets injured first game and back to square one ..it's a gamble ..but I think we all agree ..certainly Poyet does we need one maybe two ..who tht is we will have to wait n c

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think I said the £100k amount, I just feel that if the average Premier player is on say £20K per week and we agree a 50 / 50 that equates to £10k per week.

Well, if you made up the 100K figure, why don't you make up a 50K one and save us 50K ? :facepalm:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Poyet has said, comes down to money or players wanting a 'guaranteed start' - do you think we should be breaking the bank, or guarantee loan players starts?

For me, IF it is te right player, then yes to both of those questions.

We need someone better than the Argie (he needs to develop still), so who else would start? Given our league position, the chance of promotion must be worth something over and above the original Budget, given our other options - i.e. kids.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that Simeon Jackson ticks a lot of boxes - out of contract at the end of the season, bench player for Norwich, they're a club with whom we've done recent business, he probably won't be part of their plans for next season, he's got plenty to prove.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, what I am saying is that we could fork out the money which is wasted. There's no guarantee that spending money will bring success. Obviously, I hope that we try.

If you hope we try, then you're point is, well, pointless.

Its a calculated gamble to spend a decent amount on a good striker to attempt to make the play-offs and, maybe, the Prem... the risk IS there, but far, far outweighed by the potential rewards.

I'm sure Gus and Tony realise this, but a failure to sign a striker is a big failure.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
This is the business end of the season. Why would ANY team want to get rid of a quality striker now, particularly when players are beginning to tire? I find it hard to imagine a more difficult time to bring someone in than now.

Which is why we should have started looking for a replacement after Hoskins was crocked: we would not now be in such a HUGE ****ING MESS with respect to our strikers if we had. P1ss-poor management.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Which is why we should have started looking for a replacement after Hoskins was crocked: we would not now be in such a HUGE ****ING MESS with respect to our strikers if we had. P1ss-poor management.

We may have started looking at that point but more reasonably, at that stage, we still had 3 strikers available. Would we have qualified for an emergency loan? When does the loan window close?

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
If you hope we try, then you're point is, well, pointless.

Its a calculated gamble to spend a decent amount on a good striker to attempt to make the play-offs and, maybe, the Prem... the risk IS there, but far, far outweighed by the potential rewards.

I'm sure Gus and Tony realise this, but a failure to sign a striker is a big failure.

on the other hand they might fail to bring in a striker and that he would have to be a striker who can score goals, they might also think to bring one of the DS squad in and just squeak into the play-offs and we might by then have a refreshed grown-up Barnes back to get us through the finals

just a thought

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Orlandi
Dave
Vicente
Buckley
Ulloa

Bridge
Calderon
Hammond
Bruno

We don't need a loan striker, reminds me of the story of Diamonds in your own field. Look at what we have already, its in our own squad!

Apart from Ulloa where the jury is still out, none of those players find it easy to score. They all need loads of chances before they get one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here