Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] It's a dark wintery Fridat

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Waiting to get the train to Victoria to get the overnighter to Manchester
image.jpg

Midget

Concourse Kabe. *Posts may be affected by alcohol.
Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Kaliber! :lolol:

My word that was terrible. I vaguely remember it tasted like dust.

Got a mate who's gone mostly sober these days who swears Guinness Zero is pretty much as good as the real thing but I'm not convinced, mostly because I'm the sort of throwback who thinks decaff coffee is pointless, alcohol free beer is an oxymoron and vegan bacon needs to be buried in a very deep hole.

One day it'll catch up with me and I'll start having all of those things, no doubt.
My better (taller!) half has been teetotal for some years now, favours Heineken Zero and Becks Blue. They're both pretty ok IMO. You can even get zero ale now, I keep meaning to try Adnams Ghost Ship one day.

I've never found a nice zero wine, all too sweet or "grape juice-y", although some of the sparkling is tolerable.

Zero gin is all pants. May as well drink tonic water and save the money.

The red Aecorn is nice with tonic when you can find it.

Sorry to go off topic on a thread which should be all about THE BOOZE :lolol:

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
I have rocked this Fridat night with a Twinings Herbal Tea, and am at significant risk of falling asleep before my primary school age son does.

He’s on the scotch.*

* he is not on the scotch.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
My fridats have been somewhat curtailed by high blood pressure, high cholesterol and being overweight(fat):(
Mix that in with feeling lousy since last weeks flu jab and ricking my neck just by looking in the bottom cupboard PLUS extreme cramp in my upper calves early this morning....my zest for living the dream has taken a bit of a nose dive! I'm only sixty three for flips sake:facepalm:
Since I gave up smoking eight odd years ago, I've never felt so knackered out
It's quite ok not to be boozing when you don't fancy it or need to ease off for your health.

Had both jabs yesterday and yeah, it's crap. Hope you feel better soon.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lidl and Aldi do some really good value wines imo. Can’t generally go wrong with a bottle of wine from Lidl for £5/6. Much better value than Tescos who seem to charge almost double the price for something very bland.
Strategy with Tesco is only buy wine when what you want is on special offer, at a clubcard price and they’re offering their 25% discount for 6 bottles or more. Always manage to get some good bargains at close to half price to top up the wine rack.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Just found out that the bottle of tequila I was given is George Clooney tequila so I'm going to use it to make a pudding.

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
I have rocked this Fridat night with a Twinings Herbal Tea, and am at significant risk of falling asleep before my primary school age son does.

He’s on the scotch.*

* he is not on the scotch.
Have to admit, once I'm done on the wine, I'll be taking a cup of "Calm" up to bed.

#RockAndRoll punk:

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
Few cans of Leffe. :drink:

Anyone noticed this is now brewed in the UK and only 6%, not 6.6% as it should be :rolleyes:. Is this another Brexit dividend?
Yes, the cans are.. and disappointing I've made that mistake. Sacrilege. Bottles still 6.6% for now I think

Midget

Aug 16, 2015
Lurking
Strategy with Tesco is only buy wine when what you want is on special offer, at a clubcard price and they’re offering their 25% discount for 6 bottles or more. Always manage to get some good bargains at close to half price to top up the wine rack.
Yes.

Also they do some ok ones on the £12 "finest" meal deal tbf. Mine tonight was one of those and pretty good considering it was effectively free.

I quite like their picpoul de pinet too, nice with mussels and crusty bread in the summer.

Marty McFly

Seagulls Over Canada
Aug 19, 2006
La Pêche, Quebec
Kaliber! :lolol:

My word that was terrible. I vaguely remember it tasted like dust.

Got a mate who's gone mostly sober these days who swears Guinness Zero is pretty much as good as the real thing but I'm not convinced, mostly because I'm the sort of throwback who thinks decaff coffee is pointless, alcohol free beer is an oxymoron and vegan bacon needs to be buried in a very deep hole.

One day it'll catch up with me and I'll start having all of those things, no doubt.
Would like to echo your mate's sentiment on Guinness Zero - Pretty damn good!

Disagree on Decaf - Sometimes you want the flavour, but not the caffeine buzz.

Vegan bacon - I rarely eat meat, but also wouldn't go near veggie bacon with a 10ft barge pole. Loada shit!

Drinks wise this evening? A local milk stout for me!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Would like to echo your mate's sentiment on Guinness Zero - Pretty damn good!

Disagree on Decaf - Sometimes you want the flavour, but not the caffeine buzz.

Vegan bacon - I rarely eat meat, but also wouldn't go near veggie bacon with a 10ft barge pole. Loada shit!

Drinks wise this evening? A local milk stout for me!
i think the Guinness Zero might well be my saviour when the time comes to give up.

Otherwise I'm still the kind of bloke who believes a hangover is best cured by a fry up, a large, strong coffee, two Ibuprofen. a Marlboro Light and more booze at lunchtime.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Yes, the cans are.. and disappointing I've made that mistake. Sacrilege. Bottles still 6.6% for now I think
Nah, unfortunately they’ve dialled them down to 6% as well. The blonde ones at least; the brun still appear to be 6.5%. It only occurred to me a couple of weeks ago when I was drinking a bottle and something seemed slightly off. Tax reasons or not, it only serves to undermine the experience.

So many have done this now. Used to enjoy a Cobra with a currry, but it’s not the same at 4.5%. They even dialled King Cobra down from 8.5% to 5.2%, something more like the original. Sierra Nevada now 5% instead of 5.6%. They’ve started doing Cruzcampo over here recently, but it’s just a label - only 4.4% vs 5.6% in Spain. It’s owned by Heineken now, so it’s just another generic low alcohol beer churned out under an established name.

Stella has to be the worse. The old “wife beater” used to be 5.2% - 4.6% nowadays. I can barely muster the strength to throw her down the stairs.

Whatever the reason, tax, Brexit, I don’t like it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Wintery? It's about a zillion degrees out there. For mid-October anyway.

Approaching seven weeks dry, enforced by my dodgy heart thing.

But, but, BUT - at 3:15 today I had a call from Worthing Hospital who had a cancellation they were trying to fill.

"I don't suppose you'd be able to be here at 7:30 on Sunday morning, would you?"
"Absolutely, yes - I can come at any time you can see me."
"I wish all our patients were like you - it would make all this a lot easier."

So, I've got an imminent echocardiogram, and maybe a step closer to figuring all this nonsense out and being able to get back to running and drinking!

TL;DR - I may go crazy and have a couple of cans of Heineken Zero.
Best wishes with the old ticker, mate :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
1697834543618.png

This is always popular, in my face hole.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

Yep, got a pack of 440 ml cans, won't be making this mistake again. Seems very flat all round compared to normal. Hopefully the bottles are still imported, will be a real shame to not be able to get the genuine article anymore.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
People...never take Lemsip if you have an enlarged prostate (probably most of us over a certain age 😬)... it's the decongestant bit that's the problem I think (the paracetamol is ok). Probably shouldn't touch Sudafed, Sinutab either.
Anyways, it's what I read on the Lemsip info sheet. Why the hospital doesn't tell one this after a diagnosis...🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️.
Have a glass of warm water instead 👍.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here