Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is vicente the next to return?

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I'm still not convinced he's worth another deal.

Fabulously talented player, and I know he said Poyet treated him badly, which some are willing to believe was the reason he didn't play much.

But Vicente has barely played much for any team in recent years, and it can't be all down to bad managers.

I wouldn't complain if he came back, but I don't think he really contributed last season, so I'm hardly crossing everything in the hope of his return.
Based on the amount of good performances against the amount of time he was here I'd have to agree with the above.

Of course, if he did come back and started running rings around the opposition regularly I might re-evaluate my position :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Can't see him returning on a pay per play deal when his mindset is wrong on staying injury free for the whole season.

ole ole ole vicente

Aug 6, 2012
That ship has sailed. As talented as he was orthe return was not enough. I would rather we use thw addition as much as I hrated the dagger. That is rated not hated

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
on the plus side soggy he wouldnt cost you much :thumbsup:

He didn't anyway, he was always on some kind of deal as per above, I believe.

Maximus

Jul 24, 2007
Brighton
If he did come back, I wonder how the team would react. There are still the Gus lovers (presumably Bridcutt, Barnes, Greer etc), and I presume they wouldn't have liked his dig at Gus in The Argus.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's a difference between Spanish Dave & Vicente. Dave was offered a contract at the end of the season whereas Vicente was released (by the club, not the manager)

scooter1

How soon is now?
Whilst he was a great talent, the team played differently when he was on the pitch, it seemed to be a case of "give it to Vicente" all the time and we never seemed to play as well. A bit like in the final years Shearer played for England, it was just hoofed to Shearer and hoped he'd score. We don't need Vicente, as a team we'll play better. I reckon anyway

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nah, not a chance. That Spanish Doris said so.

Oh....

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Whilst he was a great talent, the team played differently when he was on the pitch, it seemed to be a case of "give it to Vicente" all the time and we never seemed to play as well. A bit like in the final years Shearer played for England, it was just hoofed to Shearer and hoped he'd score. We don't need Vicente, as a team we'll play better. I reckon anyway

Spot on

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Was about to post pretty much the same thing. In the few games he did appear last season, the team just seemed to completely forget our modus operandi, and went into keep calm and pass to Vicente mode. For that reason, thanks, but no thanks.

paul pring

Aug 11, 2011
tonbridge
good call but i do love watching vicente and jfc is a great young player that has got what it takes,just needs a god run in the team
With the players we have, I would be keen for JFC to be given a chance. I know he isn't in the class of Vicente, whom I think is the best player I have seen in 35 years to wear the stripes but he is never going to get a chance if there are all these midfielders ahead of him in the pecking order.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk

Sadly this is very true of several of Vicente's appearances last season. I would love have to have seen a fit and on form Vicente at The Amex for one more season. I'm sure if he had shown some sort of form we might have signed him again but the magic wasn't there. For all his talents it seemed to upset the balance of the side and he lacked sharpness, both physically and mentally. He was playing in slow motion (by his standards) and often moves that were building up nicely at pace fizzled out because everyone was looking to pass the ball sideways to Vicente. He started at Bolton where we played quite well (until Barnes had his red mist) and probably deserved a draw but it was rather sad to see Vicente looking rather lost and struggling to make an impact as the playmaker. Bolton sussed him out. and gave him no time on the ball or room to play a killer pass.

We took a spectacular punt on Vicente 2 years ago and his cameos were amazing but I don't think the percentages now add up especially with money having to be spent very prudently under FFP so it is time to move on. Thanks for the memories.

It would have been fabulous to see Vicente run out at Wembley in a play off final, I think he would have risen to the occasion.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
this this this

With the players we have, I would be keen for JFC to be given a chance. I know he isn't in the class of Vicente, whom I think is the best player I have seen in 35 years to wear the stripes but he is never going to get a chance if there are all these midfielders ahead of him in the pecking order.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I honestly don't get the "Vicente was the best player I've ever seen at the Albion" mob. He wasn't even the best player in the squad whilst he was here IMHO. Bit of a personality cult going on with him if you ask me. He has a fantastic history, and he played at the highest level, sure, but for me he was just a waste of money. Wouldn't play when it was too cold, injuries that perhaps may or may not have existed in his own head..... Wouldn't touch with a barge pole. Let's move on.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I think we are at the stage now where we dont need a player like Vicente, I mean we didnt have him much last season and we finished 4th.

That and with Oscar in charge, youth will be given more of a chance - JFC could make a huge impact this season.

That is indeed fair comment but, depending upon available budget and fitness, to have Vicente available to come on as a sub. would be something else !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here