Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Is Sussex a county?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Administratively/politically separate counties.

Geographically and historically one county.
Thanks, that's what I thought, but then when there's a general reference to a county (eg, what's the largest county), does that refer to the poxy political ones, or the geographic and historical ones?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who said anything about it post?

Fair point, but most of the time someone needs my address it's because something is being delivered to my house – or someone is planning to send me something (like a letter from the hospital, for example).

I don't use it for sat-navs either :shrug:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The same argument could be used about Yorkshire, which is covered by three separate administrations and up to 1974 had ' Ridings ' ( x 3 ) and enjoys more than one county town. Like Sussex, though, it only has one cricket team.

Sussex has one sizeable football club, Yorkshire has nothing even registering on the massive scale

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Now been in Shrops 18 years and when folk round her ask where I'm from, I say "Sussex".
When they say whereabouts, I say "Brighton".

Now, I thought when Brighton became a city it was considered as neither East nor West Sussex?

I can see a new cold war emerging East Vs West ....
We will fight them on the beaches ....

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Now been in Shrops 18 years and when folk round her ask where I'm from, I say "Sussex".
When they say whereabouts, I say "Brighton".

Now, I thought when Brighton became a city it was considered as neither East nor West Sussex?

I can see a new cold war emerging East Vs West ....
We will fight them on the beaches ....

I'm in the DMZ.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Administratively/politically separate counties.

Geographically and historically one county.
Also, what does 'historically' mean? Is it meant as in 'former'? In which case, we could be talking about something that no longer exists. Or is it only meant to be 'historic', as in old, but still here?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Is Sussex a county, or are East and West Sussex separate counties?

I know my basic England and Wales geography from football teams, and away games.
I know my basic "County" knowledge from Cricket. Therefore Sussex is a county, as is Middlesex. Anything else is just white noise.

Also, my years tend to run August to May, with some summer, maybe an "International Summer", in the middle.

Not saying I'm right, it's just how I see the World.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
When you write down your address, do you put East/West Sussex or just Sussex?

Me, I’m a Sussex man, born in the East lived most of my life in the West. The division of Sussex by the charlatans in Westminster, is just a ploy to keep the great county of Sussex from dominating the lesser counties of this sceptered Isle.

You be glad you be Sussex born.

:clap2:

Always just "Sussex"

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I’ve lived in Brazil, the US, London, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire, and Scotland.
However, I am and will forever be a man of Sussex.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
Sussex by the Sea.jpg

My grandfather sent us a letter in this envelope. The letter arrived first post on October 1st.
Well done the GPO!
They obviously knew it was "Sussex by the Sea"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here