Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Is Sussex a county?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Country and State are synonymous terms that both apply to self-governing political entities. A nation, however, is a group of people who share the same culture but do not have sovereignty.

close, a nation can have sovereignty where it matches the geography of a state/country. Australia, Japan for example. and many states are not entirely self governing, part of federal systems. simpler definition is country/state is geopolitical, nation is cultural group. also i've read the nuanced point that a country is geographical and a state political, if we want to split that hair. its a feature of our glorious language we have many terms for similar things then mix them up in common vernacular, bluring definitions.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The same argument could be used about Yorkshire, which is covered by three separate administrations and up to 1974 had ' Ridings ' ( x 3 ) and enjoys more than one county town. Like Sussex, though, it only has one cricket team.

There are either four or nine depending how you look at it north, west, south, east plus Hull, Middlesbrough, York, Redcar & Cleveland, Stockton-on-Tees.

Sussex of course has three.

Marlton and Hove Albion

Oct 11, 2018
Sarasota FL
There is a clear, obvious and eternal tie breaker. "Good Old Sussex By The Sea". It isn't, and never will be "Good Old East/West Sussex By The Sea". The Kingdom of Sussex should NEVER have been partitioned and that goes for Rutland as well. There seems to be a global trend of peoples wanting to re-tribalize. You see it damn near everywhere in Europe in it's recent history. Post-Brexit, you'll clearly see Scotland having another go and possibly Wales at some point. Are we ready for the emergence of SIP?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
If Sussex achieves Independence as a Kingdom, there is a suitable Royal Palace for the Monarch.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
There is a clear, obvious and eternal tie breaker. "Good Old Sussex By The Sea". It isn't, and never will be "Good Old East/West Sussex By The Sea". The Kingdom of Sussex should NEVER have been partitioned and that goes for Rutland as well. There seems to be a global trend of peoples wanting to re-tribalize. You see it damn near everywhere in Europe in it's recent history. Post-Brexit, you'll clearly see Scotland having another go and possibly Wales at some point. Are we ready for the emergence of SIP?

I have a friend that referred to the post-coalition rump of the Lib-Dems as the SNP -- Somerset Nationalist Party....

They are a bit Bath-and-Wells-ish, aren't they.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
How about those of us on the south side of Tunbridge Wells. Geographically we are in Sussex - the border runs along the River Grom splits the Pantiles in two, reaches the bottom of Chapel Place and then shoots off up Frant Rd. Politically though we’re in Kent - the signs being on the Eridge Rd just outside TW. When the revolution comes I expect to see the rest of you outside my house with your pitchforks and hammers, we’ll smash those signs and move them to their rightful place. We could then have a pint in The Sussex Arms - well we could if it weren’t so rubbish.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
When you write down your address, do you put East/West Sussex or just Sussex?

I don't write anything for the county, because the postal system works off the postcode so it saves time and ink :moo:

When sending anything by post to my relatives I always include 'Sussex' in the address, just to remind those unelected bureaucrats at Royal Mail Group Ltd. that large chunks of Sussex around Bognor are still part of Sussex, despite having a Hampshire (PO) postcode scurrilously imposed on them!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here