Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Is Sussex a county?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I thought that was just a few wannabe toffs with ideas above their station in WIvlesfield ? It is recognized as a district.

Wivelsfield Station isn't in Wivelsfield

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This is one area where I used to profoundly disagree with the late and much-missed Ed Bassford (Lord Bracknell). He could quote chapter and verse about how the various local government acts had established East and West Sussex as totally separate entities, and yes administratively we are, but socially and culturally we are one county, proud member of the Saxon Heptarchy, indivisible under God with Banofee pie and trug baskets for all.

"Wunt be druv"
It gets very messy near Crawley though, some of the back roads near there are cris- crossing the border every 200 yards or so.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It gets very messy near Crawley though, some of the back roads near there are cris- crossing the border every 200 yards or so.

It is definitely one county. The administration part of it split it into three, ie West Sussex, East Sussex and Brighton & Hove.
I was born in West Sussex, my Dad came from West Sussex, my Mum from East Sussex and I live in East Sussex, but that's all administration paperwork.

I am Sussex born and bred.

1280px-Flag_of_Sussex.svg.png

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Like most things it depends. Sport yes. Politics no. Socially? I think we’d all let Surrey have Crawley...;)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I have lived in both East Sussex and West Sussex without moving house.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A country comprising 4 nations.

Country and State are synonymous terms that both apply to self-governing political entities. A nation, however, is a group of people who share the same culture but do not have sovereignty.

AND

West Sussex is a county in the south of England, bordering East Sussex (with Brighton and Hove) to the east, Hampshire to the west and Surrey to the north, and to the south the English Channel.

BUT

Sussex (/ˈsʌsɪks/), from the Old English Sūþsēaxe (South Saxons), is a historic county in South East England corresponding roughly in area to the ancient Kingdom of Sussex. It is bounded to the west by Hampshire, north by Surrey, northeast by Kent, south by the English Channel, and divided for many purposes into the ceremonial counties of West Sussex and East Sussex

I can see why the OP started this thread. Sussex is a bit like Brexit - whatever you claim it to be.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Next you'd be telling me we want a poll to determine whether Scotland is a country or not. That's not how facts work!

True, if you wanted facts, but you didn't specify. That allows for opinions. And opinions need polls.

Albeit....you do realise that when I say 'this thread is useless without a poll' I'm being facetious . . . . ???

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It is definitely one county. The administration part of it split it into three, ie West Sussex, East Sussex and Brighton & Hove.
I was born in West Sussex, my Dad came from West Sussex, my Mum from East Sussex and I live in East Sussex, but that's all administration paperwork.

I am Sussex born and bred.

View attachment 115659

Why don't those birds have any feet?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here