Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Mr Potter, Chris Hughton II...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No because under Potter I can relax that we won't be relegated when half the season had passed. We're building a great team and whilst winning and places are nice, we're safe and can plan our next season.

“Great”

I’ll try some of that too :whisky::whisky::whisky::whisky::whisky:

In 12 months we’ve gone from THE team that misses shed loads of chances/half-chances/hits the woodwork, to a toothless soft touch with gaps at the back.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Because we’ve improved by nearly every stat every season. This season trajectory may not see as much improvement as we had hoped, but probably will still see an improvement

Granted in a lower Division but the levels progress were far greater and far more rapid under CH.

He built a successful side far quicker and achieved something tangible within a season and a half at a lesser outlay in funds.

The opening post isn't really something which can be gaged but using you're logic you have in essence affirmed the OPs suggestion and backed up his summary

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
“Great”

In 12 months we’ve gone from THE team that misses shed loads of chances/half-chances/hits the woodwork, to a toothless soft touch with gaps at the back.

This is quite reminiscent of a conversation a group of us were having after the match.

My son (unprompted by me) stated we'd regressed massively since the Chelsea game and overall since lockdown. A friend respectfully disagreed and pointed out our start this season and that he thinks that overall "the club" is making progress.

I'm in between but marginally closer to my son. Another game where we looked nice at times but never like scoring. Another game not jumping up, except to call Mike Dean names.

I was messaging with an old mate in Canada who's a Liverpool fan and had got up at 5am to watch the game (for anyone who's read the stories of playing football thread he was the guy in my ex pat team who two footed an ex Bayren Munich trainee) who initiated the conversation with an admiration for our kit choice. His parting shot? "You play nice football with the right philosophy but have nothing up front". He must be the 30th or so opposition fan to say that to me, yet it appears to be beyond Potter, the recruitment team and, yes, ultimately, the board.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
“Great”

I think that's true, and is it because our players/tactics/confidence have gone backwards, or because the opposition have figured out how to play us? Maybe both.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This is quite reminiscent of a conversation a group of us were having after the match.

My son (unprompted by me) stated we'd regressed massively since the Chelsea game and overall since lockdown. A friend respectfully disagreed and pointed out our start this season and that he thinks that overall "the club" is making progress.

Big part of that is our lack of recruitment in attacking areas. We pretty much went into the season with the same attacking players we had last. Even Liverpool have had to freshen up their attacking line from their trust 3 or 4 to be competitive this season and it’s paying off

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
CH never had a £16m full back.
(Probably now former) Belgium international.
Spanish international tall keeper, (see above)
Argentinian international attacking midfielder (see above the above)
Champions League finalist defender.
A mobile striker.

Sure they both have Solly - bless him.

Who is the current Champions League final defender?

Hughton had Montoya, who has a Champions League medal.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
No. Some of the football we have played this season has been sublime. I don't remember ever saying that under CH in the PL.
That evening against Manure & the glorious Saturday home to West Ham was far better than anything Potter has served up IMO but then we all appreciate different things in football it would seem.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
What do people expect from a club that's history has been spent mainly in the lower divisions.
This is the most successful period in the clubs history in probably having 6 consecutive seasons in the top flight.

This is the reality of reaching for the stars. Maybe people will be more happy being relegated to the championship again, and stuffing Rotherham and Preston in the quest to reach for where we are now:shrug:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What do people expect from a club that's history has been spent mainly in the lower divisions.
This is the most successful period in the clubs history in probably having 6 consecutive seasons in the top flight.

This is the reality of reaching for the stars. Maybe people will be more happy being relegated to the championship again, and stuffing Rotherham and Preston in the quest to reach for where we are now:shrug:

16 years without a relegation!!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I see it's the annual "With this one weird trick -- THAT DOCTORS DON"T WANT YOU TO KNOW -- you could be in Europe!" season again.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
IMO, Home games during first season in the Prem under Hughton were generally far more enjoyable than now. Some thrashings, but plenty of games I still remember fondly (WBA, West Ham, Swansea, Arsenal, Man U etc 7 wins and only 4 defeats. Away games however (except) W Ham were dire.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
We have played some great football under Potter. Younger players have been developed. But if we finish this season as we all suspect it will, then no progress has been made after 3 years under Potter. Finishing on 36-42 points and safe in the Premier league is no mean feet, and you’d assume once younger players gain experience the picture may look better next season, but I’d argue the progress isn’t enough. How the club solve that is another issue, sitting on what we’ve got and having a similar season next season won’t be terrible?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Errr - read his comments when we came back from 2-0 down to draw 2-2…

This. And I can't read any more of this otherwise pissy sneery thread.

Liverpool looked a bit m'eh today because we made them so. If we had bombed on, hoofing it to an imaginary Callum Wilson, Ashley Barnes or any of those other great strikers so many covet, Liverpool, playing to hit on the break, would have had five or six.

We played Liverpool's best eleven today, plus minus Jota, and they ground out a 2-0 (one being a pen).

But, yeah, Brighton, what a bunch of soft shites; three points for any half awake team. Too nice. Manager a dreary EL Wisty type. Clueless. Bring back Hughton. At least we had Murrayoffside.

If I want to read a load of partial and peevish old bollocks I can go and grab myself half a neuron's worth of das reich in the pit.

FFS.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
And Ben White in a micro second instinctively turned defence into attack, his huge strength. The ‘transition’.

We've lost two "transitional" CBs in White (to transfer) and Webster (to injury) and an "attritional" one in BDB with no obvious replacement.

Considering the number of centre backs we had was a running NSC joke not so long ago this is appalling.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We've lost two "transitional" CBs in White (to transfer) and Webster (to injury) and an "attritional" one in BDB with no obvious replacement.

Considering the number of centre backs we had was a running NSC joke not so long ago this is appalling.

Injuries happen (Dunk, then Webster).

The sale of Burn was too smart by half imho, I’ll never be swayed from that, he did not demand or engineer his departure (borne out in a Dunk interview last week). The intervention of a bloody spreadsheet pointing to “bank that £13m”.

EPL merit money drops by £2m a final position.

Yep, too smart by half.

The retort then dragged out is to point out that Burn was shit, his nsc critics laugh at his Wolves/Traore efforts. Playing a giant CB as a LB was non sensical. As a CB he’s highly effective …. Newcastle have improved immeasurably in defence.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMO, Home games during first season in the Prem under Hughton were generally far more enjoyable than now. Some thrashings, but plenty of games I still remember fondly (WBA, West Ham, Swansea, Arsenal, Man U etc 7 wins and only 4 defeats. Away games however (except) W Ham were dire.

West Ham, Arsenal and Manure - we made them suffer.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here