Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it now all about Spurs ?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
With the form that Villa are in and Liverpool now picking up points, should our focus now be on finishing above Spurs first and foremost to secure a Europa Conference place, and anything better is a bonus ? I know we have games in hand of everyone but let’s be real, those games are against Man U, Newcastle and Citeh. Is a realistic haul from those 3 games 3 points ?

Spurs have got 6 games left which includes playing Man U, Liverpool, Villa & Brentford and away at Leeds last game won’t be straightforward if Leeds need a result to stay up

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Europa Conference is what I was aiming for when the season began, although I'll admit that I'd be disappointed with a 7th place finish, now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
Europa Conference is what I was aiming for when the season began, although I'll admit that I'd be disappointed with a 7th place finish, now.

I thought that too, but actually when you see the teams West Ham have played to get to the semi, I suddenly feel confident it’s a competition we have the potential to go far in so could be a decent ride !

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
No, they're only four points ahead and we have FOUR games in hand, one of which is tonight against Forest. Win that and we're one point behind with three in hand.

Villa's remaining games are:

Man utd (a)
Wolves(a)
Spurs(h)
Liverpool(a)
Brighton(h)

I think it's unlikely that we'll go into that final game of the season 4 points or more behind Villa - we have 8 games to pick up one more point than they will in their next four - so they should be in play.

Nicks

Personally I think losing on Sunday will have done us a big favour as we now have to go all out to get into Europe whereas before at the back of the players mind may have been the thought that if we blow the league we always have a chance in the Final against City.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
No, they're only four points ahead and we have FOUR games in hand, one of which is tonight against Forest. Win that and we're one point behind with three in hand.

Villa's remaining games are:

Man utd (a)
Wolves(a)
Spurs(h)
Liverpool(a)
Brighton(h)

I think it's unlikely that we'll go into that final game of the season 4 points or more behind Villa - we have 8 games to pick up one more point than they will in their next four - so they should be in play.
Spurs is clearly the easiest fixture from that list which could help us. It’s annoying because I’m not keen on Manure and Liverpool beating Villa. But we can certainly take 3 points off them. We are due a lucky match (or a match devoid of bad luck) and the Villa game could be the one.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, Villa are more than catchable, I will be disappointed if we finish behind them and Liverpool god knows they could be crap again next week.

With games in hand it's all about us and our form.
Ours to lose?

(We could form a suicide pact with Arsenal.

But I'd rather not :wink: )

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With the form that Villa are in and Liverpool now picking up points, should our focus now be on finishing above Spurs first and foremost to secure a Europa Conference place, and anything better is a bonus ? I know we have games in hand of everyone but let’s be real, those games are against Man U, Newcastle and Citeh. Is a realistic haul from those 3 games 3 points ?

Spurs have got 6 games left which includes playing Man U, Liverpool, Villa & Brentford and away at Leeds last game won’t be straightforward if Leeds need a result to stay up
I presume we're not focussed on anyone other than Forest then Wolves then ManUtd.

We could be above Villa with 2 games in hand still ahead of their trip to Old Trafford on Sunday. We could do with ManUtd winning their next 2 then being a bit worn out this time next week...

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
With the form that Villa are in and Liverpool now picking up points, should our focus now be on finishing above Spurs first and foremost to secure a Europa Conference place, and anything better is a bonus ?

Nah, definitely not.

Villa could drop points in all their remaining five games - they look tough. We have nine left to play... Liverpool are also incredibly inconsistent, they still look awful defensively and their away record is shocking. All to play for.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I think we'll do enough to be top 7 on merit and finish above at least one in our group of 4.

But if it comes down to GD, we're still in a very handy position

Liverpool +21
Brighton +17
Tottenham +7
Aston Villa +5

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What I will add about Aston Villa, is they have had a run of 10 fixtures, 6 of whom were against relegation strugglers with the fixture dates falling very nicely in terms of form and sackings, 3 midtable, and Newcastle at home. I'm not going to belittle their run because 8 wins in any 10 PL fixtures is amazing, BUT they now face 5 teams in very good form, 3 of which are away including Sunday at OT and Anfield.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
How did Spurs do under Mason when he was in temporary charge previously? Will they get a caretaker manager bounce?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here