Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is football more entertaining with VAR?

Is football more entertaining with VAR?

• No

Votes: 211 99.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It’s not more entertaining it’s shit for the fans who attend, although in this modern age the few days after and the few days before each weekend is big business for outlets. These outlets crave the bad calls, managers under pressure etc. what else would perma tan Jordan and that Scottish gimp have to talk about if it all went swimmingly. Unfortunately the refs pander to these idiots each week.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No it’s dreadful. Anyone who wanted this should be horrified by what they have turned the game into

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly… let’s dig out the Cardiff away game where Sol Bamba scored that ridiculous offside goal against us and see what people were saying then…
So because people used to get pissed off with decisions in the past they should/must be in favour of VAR? How can you possibly reach that conclusion?

We used to discuss it. We all agreed that technology has aided decision-making in sports like cricket, so wouldn't it be great if we could do it for football. Yes, we agreed, it would be. But how would you implement it? Rather than answering that question the authorities just charged ahead and lumbered us with this curent fiasco.

It's shit - and far from making sure the match officials reach the correct decisions it's simply added another level of poor decision-making. How could it be otherwise given the way it's been implemented? They need to go back to the drawing board.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
It’s not more entertaining it’s shit for the fans who attend, although in this modern age the few days after and the few days before each weekend is big business for outlets. These outlets crave the bad calls, managers under pressure etc. what else would perma tan Jordan and that Scottish gimp have to talk about if it all went swimmingly. Unfortunately the refs pander to these idiots each week.
Agreed. It’s the chaos and drama VAR causes which helps sell the TV subscription fees and meaningless football talk shows. Football seems way more focused on the market of viewers who don’t attend the matches and can’t and never did play the game.

The more football becomes all about the off-field drama and controversy, the more it can be sold to those who probably can’t even do more than 10 kick ups. And sadly with the growing number of people now stuck staring into screens for huge chunks of their days, that market is obviously growing and growing.

Annoyingly VAR is here to stay

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
So because people used to get pissed off with decisions in the past they should/must be in favour of VAR? How can you possibly reach that conclusion?

We used to discuss it. We all agreed that technology has aided decision-making in sports like cricket, so wouldn't it be great if we could do it for football. Yes, we agreed, it would be. But how would you implement it? Rather than answering that question the authorities just charged ahead and lumbered us with this curent fiasco.

It's shit - and far from making sure the match officials reach the correct decisions it's simply added another level of poor decision-making. How could it be otherwise given the way it's been implemented? They need to go back to the drawing board.
No - I’m just saying that either way people will moan and be pissed off when mistakes happen.

The point in my mind that still annoys me was the Cardiff game under Hughton. We knew VAR was coming and the red Stephens got was borderline and could have been overturned and the ludicrous off side that Bamba scored from late on. At the time I thought ‘at least with VAR next season goals like that won’t stand’

Yesterday was disgraceful and there is no excuse, but you don’t stop progressing with someone which ultimately can and will improve decision making just because of a few problems.

We’d not be driving cars or flying planes if that was the mentality.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Goal line technology fine.

VAR is available for the ref to review if he is unsure about a decision.
VAR can inform the ref within 10 secs if they believe there is a clear and obvious error and the Ref can review it.

Ref makes all decisions.

THE END.

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
No - I’m just saying that either way people will moan and be pissed off when mistakes happen.

The point in my mind that still annoys me was the Cardiff game under Hughton. We knew VAR was coming and the red Stephens got was borderline and could have been overturned and the ludicrous off side that Bamba scored from late on. At the time I thought ‘at least with VAR next season goals like that won’t stand’

Yesterday was disgraceful and there is no excuse, but you don’t stop progressing with someone which ultimately can and will improve decision making just because of a few problems.

I’d rather the football improves rather than the decisions.

It’s the entitlement we have to being served like Gods which causes this demand for an error free reality. It’s a delusion that results in thinking one day everything will be perfect.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

not really comparible, or show the flaw of VAR. then there was an obvious offside not given. now we have marginal decisions made, with the wrong player selected and lines made with incorrect angles. VAR is supposed to be catching the obvious errors, not trying to achieve 100% accuracy, failing, making worse decisions. that isnt progress.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s an abomination. f*** it off. Re-referee everything and joy kill everything. Pay and train refs to a level that more ex players (from a decent level) want to officiate.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
It’s an abomination. f*** it off. Re-referee everything and joy kill everything. Pay and train refs to a level that more ex players (from a decent level) want to officiate.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Nothing stopping ex players getting involved, but they don’t want to. And an ex player wouldn’t help yesterday when it was clearly an error rather than understanding of the law.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Agreed

It was worth saying twice

The only positive purpose it serves is to line someone somewheres pockets.

Of that I have no doubt as. Unlike say cricket and tennis, there is no science behind it.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
No problem with VAR. The over analysis and pulling apart every decision by media outlets drove us to it. But no excuse for the incompetence of those running it.

Howard Webb has a tough job just 5 weeks into a new job
I`m not convinced if it has taken Howard Webb 5 weeks and he still hasn`t figured out Mason is a moron surrounded by a whole lot of other morons . Mind you 5 weeks is pretty quick by VAR standards ;)

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
If
Nothing stopping ex players getting involved, but they don’t want to. And an ex player wouldn’t help yesterday when it was clearly an error rather than understanding of the law.
If salaries go up to a starting £250k a year, a lot more ex-players (especially those with solid but unspectacular careers) would be more inclined to cross the rubicon.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If

If salaries go up to a starting £250k a year, a lot more ex-players (especially those with solid but unspectacular careers) would be more inclined to cross the rubicon.
But what difference does that make ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here