Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is football more entertaining with VAR?

Is football more entertaining with VAR?

• No

Votes: 211 99.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
I certainly never demanded VAR in the first place. And it has turned out to be far worse than I ever imagined.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I certainly never demanded VAR in the first place. And it has turned out to be far worse than I ever imagined.
I find it hard to believe you took every wrong decision in your stride, shrugged your shoulders and said words to the effect of 'human error is what makes the game so entertaining'.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I find it hard to believe you took every wrong decision in your stride, shrugged your shoulders and said words to the effect of 'human error is what makes the game so entertaining'.
Exactly… let’s dig out the Cardiff away game where Sol Bamba scored that ridiculous offside goal against us and see what people were saying then…

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
VAR is not pointless. The point of it is obvious - to make key refereeing decisions more accurate.
And if they managed that, the game would be massively improved.
VAR does need to be handled better [terrible error in the Arsenal game] Although sometimes that’s not easy.
If they took a ’clear and obvious error’ approach, that wouldn’t work. It has to be black or white.
But then you are dealing with the finest of margins, developing technology And limited time.
On the whole, I’d keep VAR but seek to improve it.
After all, let’s not pretend the old days of blatant ref/lino howlers were great either.
Improve it how? They've obviously tried to make it as good as it can be, but it's still shit

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Same here never wanted it and nothing I have seen since has convinced me I was wrong. That’s not to say I have not been pissed with some decisions against us in the past but knew this would be a shitshow and it has been

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The question is badly worded as the answer is obvious that virtually no-one would think VAR has made football more entertaining.

The question should be as to whether it has improved the accuracy of decision making. It clearly has, but days like to day have constantly caused controversy. It's less about the idea and more about its operation.
The question is perfectly worded. Football is more popular than lawn bowls because its more entertaining. Its an entertainment product. It doesn't exist for the purpose of accuracy of decision making.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Yes that proves people used to get annoyed about bad decisions but that does not mean they wanted VAR.

There is a view that you can get annoyed by shit decisions but still believe it is part of the game and does not require intrusive technology to resolve

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
So before, like with that Cardiff game we got terrible refereeing and terrible decisions. Now, we still have terrible refereeing and decisions, we just have to wait much longer for them and pay a lot more money for them

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The question is perfectly worded. Football is more popular than lawn bowls because its more entertaining. Its an entertainment product. It doesn't exist for the purpose of accuracy of decision making.
Why not get rid of offside altogether then if that’s the purpose ? More goals

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So why have we spent the last 20 odd years making the game only about the accuracy of decision making?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So before, like with that Cardiff game we got terrible refereeing and terrible decisions. Now, we still have terrible refereeing and decisions, we just have to wait much longer for them and pay a lot more money for them
VAR needs to have their decisions checked by Ultra VAR.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Improve it how? They've obviously tried to make it as good as it can be, but it's still shit
We've seen VAR at work in the Euros and World Cup and it seems to work well. It was admitted yesterday was human error, not the technology.
A computer is only as good as the person operating it.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I wanted VAR, but be careful what you wish for.
It seems to me that video technology is done so much better in other sports that I follow.
Rugby is the prime example. The ref, along with the linos run the game. The ref asks the TMO to check if they are unsure (é.g. check if the player grounded the ball, was in touch etc, forward pass etc). Otherwise, the TMO only gets involved to look at serious foul play and will alert the ref
However, the ref is in control.
The other key thing is that people in the stadium and people watching on TV are all kept in the loop about what is happening. Forward passes and offsides are judged by the eye rather than silly lines.
Many of the issues are still subjective, high tackles etc, but by and large the decisions are accepted by all.
As I said in another thread, for offsides they should use a version of Umpires Call from cricket.
I do not believe the technology can ever be 100% accurate, with camera angles and stopping the action when the ball is kicked etc. Therefore they need to go with the infield decision (linesman's flag or not) unless there is clear daylight.
Ultimately, with offsides the problem is not necessarily VAR, but the interpretation of the rule, and this needs to change to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking side.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
NO.....if its a clear and obvious error it should take 10 seconds to make a decision not 2-3 mins with slide rules, triganometry (Spelling?) and stupid blue and red lines.
The trouble is, that’s what did for us yesterday. In attempting to hurry the decision they made a mistake. If you have it, it needs to be forensic or there’s no point in having it.

Get rid.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
Actually I genuinely felt human error was an inevitable part of officiating a fast paced game. It is pretty much impossible as a match going fan to be sure of any definitely incorrect decisions in any case, and never minded a bit of a moan about the referees over a beer after the match!

I CERTAINLY am not in favour of effectively switching on field mistakes with remote mistakes in tandem with sucking enjoyment out of the main reason for going to football (celebrating goals).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think they brought it in to improve offside decision making with some fringe benefits. Turns out they make it worse and diminished the reason for watching live sport.
they brought it in to solve problem of obvious errors which got picked up by TV, and made officials look daft to have missed them. reasonable proposal was if they have a tool they can see and correct those issues at the time.

they (have to wonder who) decided to apply to offside where there wasn't much of a problem. they want to apply presicion, but using a 2 inch line, cant select the right player, or part of the player. they are reluctant to overrule the ref so apply byzantine rules on when the VAR can and cant be used, then allow a seemingly unlimited time to assess the "obvious" errors. its not the technology per se, its the application. allow it anywhere, time limit for review and get it out of precise offside.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I wanted VAR, but be careful what you wish for.
It seems to me that video technology is done so much better in other sports that I follow.
Rugby is the prime example. The ref, along with the linos run the game. The ref asks the TMO to check if they are unsure (é.g. check if the player grounded the ball, was in touch etc, forward pass etc). Otherwise, the TMO only gets involved to look at serious foul play and will alert the ref
However, the ref is in control.
The other key thing is that people in the stadium and people watching on TV are all kept in the loop about what is happening. Forward passes and offsides are judged by the eye rather than silly lines.
Many of the issues are still subjective, high tackles etc, but by and large the decisions are accepted by all.
As I said in another thread, for offsides they should use a version of Umpires Call from cricket.
I do not believe the technology can ever be 100% accurate, with camera angles and stopping the action when the ball is kicked etc. Therefore they need to go with the infield decision (linesman's flag or not) unless there is clear daylight.
Ultimately, with offsides the problem is not necessarily VAR, but the interpretation of the rule, and this needs to change to give the benefit of the doubt to the attacking side.
In rugby and cricket it doesn’t matter whether it takes forever. In football it’s a huge issue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here