Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is football more entertaining with VAR?

Is football more entertaining with VAR?

• No

Votes: 211 99.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 3 1.4%

• Total voters

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No what we have is Alan Shearer at Sheffield United v Wrexham saying words to the effect of:-

'that was a wrong decision, that goal wouldn't have stood with VAR, VAR should be at the whole competition'.

Then last night saying

'"it's been an awful day for referees and VAR, you couldn't make it up..."

Yes they agitated for VAR because it's the natural progression of their 'job'.

But nobody ever called 606 or Talkspite to say 'why are you being tough on the ref, it's just a game'.

'We' bought this upon ourselves.
Speak for yourself. Nobody I know went on and on about refereeing decisions. We just liked a day at the football. This obsession over tiny details is a recent thing as far as I can see.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
No.
The media wanted VAR as the officials were making to many mistakes, now the media are analysing every VAR decision and have decided they are still making to many mistakes .
Just bin it as it's not working and the authorities are trying to make football a science.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
would like to see refs giving all decisions for penalties. VAR will always be there for offsides as nobody will want to see goals given that are miles offside. Have to be honest and for tight decisions impossible for officials to watch passer and receiver at same time.
This weeks errors were down to incompetence not VAR

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If they did these offside VAR decisions with say a 5% error staying with the linesman decision and only stepping in if there has been a howler, then I would be ok with that.
Some of these hand ball penalties if its been hit at you from 1 yard without being able to move them anywhere within that time should be eliminated as well IMO

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
On the original question I do hope it is not TV companies driving VAR thinking it is popular with TV viewers

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
On the original question I do hope it is not TV companies driving VAR thinking it is popular with TV viewers
Armchair supporters probably get more satisfaction and entertainment out of the drama of VAR than the paying customers.
In the ground we get to see nothing whereas at home you get all the angles.
It's a joke, put it on the big screen so we aren't left in the dark. Even mic up the referee so we can hear how and why decisions are made
Just bin I much preferred football pre VAR.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Armchair supporters probably get more satisfaction and entertainment out of the drama of VAR than the paying customers.
In the ground we get to see nothing whereas at home you get all the angles.
It's a joke, put it on the big screen so we aren't left in the dark. Even mic up the referee so we can hear how and why decisions are made
Just bin I much preferred football pre VAR.
They could put it on the big screen at Palace and still most of the away fans wouldn't see it!!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No - I’m just saying that either way people will moan and be pissed off when mistakes happen.

The point in my mind that still annoys me was the Cardiff game under Hughton. We knew VAR was coming and the red Stephens got was borderline and could have been overturned and the ludicrous off side that Bamba scored from late on. At the time I thought ‘at least with VAR next season goals like that won’t stand’

Yesterday was disgraceful and there is no excuse, but you don’t stop progressing with someone which ultimately can and will improve decision making just because of a few problems.

We’d not be driving cars or flying planes if that was the mentality.
Well no, as I said we all thought it would be great if we could use technology in football as it's worked really well in cricket and tennis. But the point stands that we don't know how and when to use it, and currently all we've done is add a whole new level of officiating that still doesn't get the decisions right and manages to kill some (or a lot as was the case on Saturday) of the joy in the process. That is undeniable.

However there is hope. The 'Hawkeye' goal line technology has been a real advance and I don't hear anyone moaning about that - so it's not technology itself being used in the decision-making that people object to. And why has that been successful? Because it doesn't need a human to make a decision. All the while humans are involved in the process there will be subjective decisions that will vary from official to official, and outright errors will be made. (And we will be having this debate until the end of time). They need to scrap VAR until they can find a a way to make it totally automatic, or at the very least stop the tail from wagging the dog and just use it as an aide to the ref, not as an extra level of officiating.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here