Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IS destroys the ancient city of Nimrud

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Enlighten me :cheers:

One of my tutor marked assessments in my OU course was about the Assyrian empire and nimrud was one of the places I researched although it's name has changed a few times. I looked at it from the greek angle though.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The storied tower of Birs Nimrud.

What was the importance of it?

Found some stuff here:

The Tower of Babel story from the Bible is a well know tale of rebellion against God. Soon after the Great Flood, as the survivors of this "cataclysm" (Cataclysm is derived from the Greek term the Apostle Paul uses to describe the Deluge in 2 Peter 3:6 ..."through which the world at that time was destroyed, being flooded with water."(1)) made their way down from the surrounds of Mount Ararat to the plains of the east they decided to establish themselves by building a city and a safe-haven tower. The main reason they decide to build the tower, according to Josephus, was to be able to escape another watery cataclysm. They also were of a single language and decided to make a name for themselves and unify under a single government so that they would not be scattered across the Earth. The Main instigator of this rebellious government was a man named Nimrod.

http://www.theancientdays.com.au/babel.html

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Let's see what he can do with water before we jump to any conclusions! (you never know)

:drink:
I'm not wanting to brag, but since you brought it up, I can in actual fact do the same with water as Jesus did.

The Main instigator of this rebellious government was a man named Nimrod.
One of Noah's descendants right? He became king or ruler.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I'll start with that one! What we need to do is educate people that there is no true religion. Educate people just to simply be ****ing nice to each other, for no other reason its just how people like to be treated.

Problem is people blindly follow these made up religions, and these people treat a made up god, better than real actual people. Not just Muslims, nearly all of them! Jews, Catholics, Christians, and the rest, are all as bad as each other. Has science not proved that most of the nonsense written in the name of religion is just, simply, wrong!

All religion that has a god is evil in my opinion, and the sooner people are educated out of that, the sooner people may start treating other people better than they do a story. Problem is as will no doubt be proved again here, people are so brain washed, so weak minded, they will argue their case for religion, as deep down they are just to scared to face life without it!

No different to a child believing in Father Christmas, expect children normally grow up and out of it before they are ten!!

Sorry, but that's just horse shit.

Far more brilliant and enlightened minds than yours have held beliefs.

I mean do you really think you're smarter than Georges Lemaitre for example?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic

As he was a priest, I would imagine he believed the fairy tale.
Academic study, and a faith in a 'story', that you were brainwashed into believing as you grew up, are two different things.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Point of arguable interest Lemaitre was born in the late 1800's and scientist or not be would have likely held fairly religious beliefs as most did of his time. He would likely not have been permitted to attended a university at that time (early 1900's) had he not held so e religious conviction. That being said I know that wasn't really your point and some, some, credence should be given to your argument.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
I suspect he was favourably comparing himself to Jesus, I think David Icke compared himself to Jesus in the context of him being another mythical and powerful force.

Oh David Icke is of his bike!

I'm chanting that tonight for all those who share memories of throwing salami around at Fratton Park back in the early nineties....

Please feel free to join in.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here