Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IS destroys the ancient city of Nimrud

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Makes me laugh people saying this has nothing to do with religion. Ask IS if it does, see what they say. They'd say its only about religion, and they're probably better place than someone dat behind a keyboard in Sussex to say. It's like when England fans cause trouble abroad and we're told 'they're not real football fans'. So people who spend hundreds or thousands of pounds to follow their team all over the world through thick and thin and also like a bit of a tear up 'aren't proper fans', yet the people at home reading the papers and watching it on the TV are. Erm.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
IS are only doing what the civilised world deemed acceptable 500 years ago. In 500 years time they will have caught up with our modern day values.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
It's absurd to pretend that Islam has nothing to do with, er, Islamic State. The clue might just be in the name...

All that that bunch of brainwashed barbarians are doing is acting out their own, chosen bits of Qur'an. Literally. And thereby claiming that they are only obeying [holy] orders.

Were it nor for all those poor millions of brainwashed-from-birth children, it would be quite comical to be watching a religion that is so utterly at war with itself approaching its death throes at its own hand.

The fact remains that the biggest oppressors and murderers of Muslims in the world are of course other Muslims, all claiming their own sectarian hotline to Allah (saw), and interpretation of the words of his prophet (PBUH). The consequences of the 7th century Sunni-Shia divide (over whether Mo had really wanted his cousin or his mate to take over) make Northern Ireland look like a dodgy vicar's slumber-party. The result: a religion not of peace, but of chaos: conflict and contradictions, with a dash of institutionalised misogyny and homophobia thrown in for bad measure.

But there is hope. Here, for example. Council of British Ex-Muslims

Spot on for me. The common denominator is Islam.
IS is for particular Muslims who believe in what they stand for.. Islam is the recruitment drive.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Makes me laugh people saying this has nothing to do with religion. Ask IS if it does, see what they say. They'd say its only about religion, and they're probably better place than someone dat behind a keyboard in Sussex to say. It's like when England fans cause trouble abroad and we're told 'they're not real football fans'. So people who spend hundreds or thousands of pounds to follow their team all over the world through thick and thin and also like a bit of a tear up 'aren't proper fans', yet the people at home reading the papers and watching it on the TV are. Erm.

Oh quite right, its quite often those that say its not connected to religion then proceed to compare the "not-religion" with other religions like Christianity etc..

Or you never see the two factions, "not religion" and "all religions are the same" arguing with each other. Its like the conspiracy theorists who rant about government but not each others competing theories..

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Oh quite right, its quite often those that say its not connected to religion then proceed to compare the "not-religion" with other religions like Christianity etc..

Or you never see the two factions, "not religion" and "all religions are the same" arguing with each other. Its like the conspiracy theorists who rant about government but not each others competing theories..

My favourite is people who bring the westboro church into it. Like its being funded by billions of Petrodollars too. And supported by countless people.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
The acts of violence that make the headlines are of course barbaric, and it's difficult to imagine the perpetrators as anything other than sadistic nutters, but most of the people supporting ISIS (both financially and with their lives) do believe that they are doing so in the name of god. Suicide bombers are misled fools that believe they are going to paradise, so of course religion plays a massive part in that.

When we are judging everything, we are learning nothing. - Steve Maraboli

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
The acts of violence that make the headlines are of course barbaric, and it's difficult to imagine the perpetrators as anything other than sadistic nutters, but most of the people supporting ISIS (both financially and with their lives) do believe that they are doing so in the name of god. Suicide bombers are misled fools that believe they are going to paradise, so of course religion plays a massive part in that.
Trigaaaar I actually do agree with a lot of what you say, but feel that a minority sect which takes literal interpretations of a text which goes against the core techings of a religion do not act in the name of that religion. This is what I mean when I say it has nothing to do with religion. Obviously their delusional acts have been associated with religion because they claim that's what is driving their actions. I prefer to judge a person based on their actions rather than
their words.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Trigaaaar I actually do agree with a lot of what you say, but feel that a minority sect which takes literal interpretations of a text which goes against the core techings of a religion do not act in the name of that religion. This is what I mean when I say it has nothing to do with religion. Obviously their delusional acts have been associated with religion because they claim that's what is driving their actions. I prefer to judge a person based on their actions rather than
their words.

Fine, if you choose to ignore the many other more 'moderate' groups that continue to stone, amputate and bludgeon those that they deem to divert from their own interpretation of Islam.

Just try to delve beyond the extreme IS atrocities, its an ancient barbarity driven by the religion of Islam, you cannot disassociate Islam with most action that take place within that region.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
feel that a minority sect which takes literal interpretations of a text which goes against the core techings of a religion do not act in the name of that religion.
Then what we're really talking about here is simply definitions. Although they claim to be committing their atrocities in the name of religion, of course they are an embarrassment to that religion, and others of the same faith don't need to explain themselves or anything, they have nothing to do with the psychopaths. But these killers get a lot of support and new recruits from thousands of people, because of their religion. The new recruits aren't all psychopaths too, and if they weren't doing it in the name of god then they wouldn't have the support, and wouldn't be able to do what they're doing. So I say it has much to do with religion.

I prefer to judge a person based on their actions rather than their words.
Of course. What's that got to do with what we're discussing? I'm not judging those who aren't committing the crimes. I live with a very nice Muslim.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
Of course. What's that got to do with what we're discussing? I'm not judging those who aren't committing the crimes. I live with a very nice Muslim.

Someone can say they belong to a faith and commit atrocities which contradict or suggest that they don't. Islam is a faith regarded as a 'religion of peace' by many scholars far more conversant with Islam than anyone on NSC. The relevance is that just because you say something, if you don't back it up with your actions then perhaps your true motivation is different. So in this example, beheading children and kicking their heads around is not in line with traditional Islamic teaching so perhaps they are not acting in line with the religion, but using it to try and defend their barbaric acts... Anyway i have now made my point several times and will duck out. Very interesting debate

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's no different to the Nazis saying they were patriots and wanted what was best for Germany. Some Germans fervidly believed this and happily went along with the Nazi ideals, some joined up to fight willingly and a huge swathe of Germans knew the Nazis were evil, desired world domination for their own selfish means and knew they were disaster for the country.
At the time all Germans were viewed with, at best suspicion, at worst as Nazis.
We now of course know that the Nazis did not represent the majority of German citizens and were in fact megalomaniacal warmongers who didn't know the meaning of the word Patriotism. Same thing here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here