IS destroys the ancient city of Nimrud

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
These people were called conspiracy theorists.

No they weren't I'm afraid. They were labelled traitors and unfit for German citizenship. It's largely a fallacy that the outside world were not aware of the goings on in Germany and what they meant for Germany and the world as the Nazis forced their way into power. British politicians certainly knew what the Nazis were, the doubt came in not what the Nazis were doing but how to stop it without all out war, which is obviously what it came to. As it will with IS.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Someone can say they belong to a faith and commit atrocities which contradict or suggest that they don't. Islam is a faith regarded as a 'religion of peace' by many scholars far more conversant with Islam than anyone on NSC. The relevance is that just because you say something, if you don't back it up with your actions then perhaps your true motivation is different. So in this example, beheading children and kicking their heads around is not in line with traditional Islamic teaching so perhaps they are not acting in line with the religion, but using it to try and defend their barbaric acts
Although some will claim it's a religion of peace, others have posted quotes to show that is only a claim, and not something we'll all agree on. Buddhism - now there's a religion of peace.

But regardless of that, even if you were right and Islam was a religion of peace, that still wouldn't mean this has nothing to do with religion. We're not saying that their God sanctions their actions, of course many are not acting in line with their religion, but many are joining them or financially supporting them because of the religion they claim to be acting for. So regardless of everything else, this wouldn't be happening (in the scale that it is) if not for religion. Just as the crusades were unjust, and not what any good Christian would support, they would not have been possible without religion. It's incorrect to suggest that either example have nothing to do with religion.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Hospitals and schools being blown up?

And previous to this ??

If you compel women to wear full burkas, then a little common sense might suggest that this snippet of visual reality offers an insight into a culture of oppression and male dominance (never a good thing), the consequence seems to be stoning to death, amputation (like top trumps add an atrocity or a cultural punishment and the list will grow) it's brutality on a widespread scale.

This isnt a consequence of Western intervention the timeline confirms that these practices are culturally engrained and have evolved over centuries, you make too many excuses for those that uphold its brutality and the religion that drives it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Sounds like a conspiracy theorist to me?
The truth is that everything sounds like a conspiracy theory to you. Many people were right about something 80 years ago, so you want to claim that as a win for conspiracy theorists, to validate your unrelated BG claims.

Modern day conspiracy theorists should be locked up and away from society.............. right?
Have you been locked away for you views?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Buddhism is not a religion
There's more than one type of Buddhism, and some have a more religious background than others. Some require more belief.
equally Buddhists have done some terrible things both in the past and present.
Some Buddhists have done some terrible things in the present? Wow, they are impressive. Regardless, we're not talking about whether any person has ever done anything wrong, we're talking about the principles of different faiths. The first (I think most important) precept of Buddhism is not to kill.

The human being is incredibly complex - religions have always existed and although terrible atrocities have been committed under the names of all major religions, they are not a variable as they have always been present.

The key variables are changing social, living and political conditions
While I agree that social and political conditions fundamental in this, it's not true to say that all religions are the same and that the atrocities committed in their name are a constant.

so we need to evaluate what the conditions of these people are like which make them behave in such terrible ways.
They spend too long praying to a god that doesn't exist.

Do you know anything about the ancient history of Nimrud?
No. Please tell me you haven't got another conspiracy theory.

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Do you know anything about the ancient history of Nimrud?

There's lots to know. The main thing IS are interested in is that some Christians believe it to be the Biblical city of Calah and so destroyed it believing it to be un Islamic.

I suppose one thing that could be looked on as a saving grace is that the majority of it's artifacts from the major archaeological activity there in the 40's were plundered by Westerners and now reside in the US and the UK and so have been saved.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
There's lots to know. The main thing IS are interested in is that some Christians believe it to be the Biblical city of Calah and so destroyed it believing it to be un Islamic.

I suppose one thing that could be looked on as a saving grace is that the majority of it's artifacts from the major archaeological activity there in the 40's were plundered by Westerners and now reside in the US and the UK and so have been saved.

I thought a lot/most of the ancient remains of Nimrud are currently held inside various Indian museums?

Could be wrong.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I thought a lot/most of the ancient remains of Nimrud are currently held inside various Indian museums?

Could be wrong.

Some are. I haven't heard that the majority are though. Lots in Iraq. They are held in various places across the globe, about 80 different museums I believe. I am of the school of thought that artifacts should be held on their place of origin but so many have been saved by being moved my opinion is changing.

Google The Nimrud Project 2013, that should tell you more.

Last edited:

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
and now you're comparing yourself to Jesus? :facepalm:

(didn't David Icke do that?)

Take a break matey x

I suspect he was favourably comparing himself to Jesus, I think David Icke compared himself to Jesus in the context of him being another mythical and powerful force.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports