Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Darts a sport - the definitive poll

Is darts a sport?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
It's a sport in my opinion. It takes great skill. Although, if we are going to talk about what is not a sport, gymnastics, Dressage, Diving and synchronised swimming are not sports. The winner is picked down to someone's opinion.

If that's your definition of sport, then boxing, ski jumping and wrestling aren't sports either.

I doubt anyone would agree with that.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Of course it's a sport you weirdos!! Just like snooker and F1 and cycling and golf etc are.

If darts isn't a sport neither is javelin!

You could always celebrate the 'skillsman' tag and look down at those 'sportsmen and women', genetics probably play a major part and that might just be luck anyway.

I do not see why darts/golf etc would find the tag as a skillsman a negative comment.

Try ,,,,, 'those javelin sportsmen, show very little SKILL just brute force'.

You watch those sportsmen will be crying out to be called skillsman !!!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The definition of 'sport' includes the words "physical exertion". I'd argue at the professional level there WAS sufficient physical exertion to justify it being a sport, what with the hours of training and playing on stage under the heat of the lights.

If you simply equate the activity performed down the pub or in a games room by you and me then probably not.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The definition of 'sport' includes the words "physical exertion". I'd argue at the professional level there WAS sufficient physical exertion to justify it being a sport, what with the hours of training and playing on stage under the heat of the lights.

If you simply equate the activity performed down the pub or in a games room by you and me then probably not.

Tee hee, your kiddin'.

You think that at the top level the dart players show physical exertion ???

They may sweat, mainly due to lights, the pressure and their own low level of fitness, but beyond that they have NO real physical exertion.

Again some show great SKILL and psychological endurance and I acknowledge this and personally love watching it, but you cannot seriously wrap this up to be a sport in the context you offered.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
so you would discount golf, archery, horse racing, sailing, curling to name a few, as sports as they arent "athletic"? even things like cricket are dubious on this criteria.

its a selective definition anyway, firt one google finds is:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others. (Dictionary.com)

Darts clearly fits the bill.

Ha ha all these have been sports since all your great, great, great, great, great, great, great Granddads, were in what passed for nappies in those far off days. :rolleyes:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Tee hee, your kiddin'.

You think that at the top level the dart players show physical exertion ???

They may sweat, mainly due to lights, the pressure and their own low level of fitness, but beyond that they have NO real physical exertion.

Again some show great SKILL and psychological endurance and I acknowledge this and personally love watching it, but you cannot seriously wrap this up to be a sport in the context you offered.

Not just me mate, it's Sport England, Sport Wales, Sport Scotland and Sport Northern Ireland as well as the Sports Council that give grant monies to these 4 bodies.

If you listen to Phil Taylor talk about darts he always bangs on about the importance of eating right, getting rest and looking after yourself. I've seen players take to the stage after 11pm at night and wilt under the lights and the conditions because physically they're in poor shape.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not just me mate, it's Sport England, Sport Wales, Sport Scotland and Sport Northern Ireland as well as the Sports Council that give grant monies to these 4 bodies.

If you listen to Phil Taylor talk about darts he always bangs on about the importance of eating right, getting rest and looking after yourself. I've seen players take to the stage after 11pm at night and wilt under the lights and the conditions because physically they're in poor shape.

Are you seriously putting Phil Taylors physique forward for some sort of example of a top sportsman, I admire his achievements as a skillsman but he is not competing within a sport but a competition that requires no physical prowess or athleticism.

Its a skill that requires many notable attributes but being a sportsman is not one of them.

watford

Dec 29, 2012
If you 'play' it, it's a game; if you 'go' it, it's a sport - i.e you go fishing, racing and hunting - you don't play fishing, racing or hunting. Therefore they're sports. You play football, chess and darts- you don't go football, chess or darts. Therefore they are games. Some games may be more athletic in nature than others, but they are games nonetheless.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
It is a game when the likes of you and I play it, just like tennis and golf, but it is a sport when it is practiced up to 8 hours a day as the professionals do, serious prized money is involved and endurance is required.
So, when pros play it is is a sport and when you or I play it is a game.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
If you can do it in a pub, with a pint and a fag on the go it is not a sport. For the record, Golf is a sport, it is a sport for wankers but it is a sport, just.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
If darts is a sport then so is knitting. Both are pastimes that require skill but not athletic ability. Imagine! The German pro-am cable stitch championships. All ten days coverage brought to you exclusively by Eurosport ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here