Is darts a sport?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Golf is hardly a sport, i would say golf is also a game as is croquet

In golf, you have to put real physical effort into every stroke.
If you put effort into croquet then you're taking life far too seriously.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As every gentleman knows, hunting, shooting and fishing are sports.

Everything else therefore, is a game.

It's a yes from me, from the same definition! :ohmy:

so you would discount golf, archery, horse racing, sailing, curling to name a few, as sports as they arent "athletic"? even things like cricket are dubious on this criteria.

its a selective definition anyway, firt one google finds is:
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others. (Dictionary.com)

Darts clearly fits the bill.

When does the physical activity occur - climbing on the stage, lifting an arm to drink a pint or throwing a light projectile a couple of yards ? If that is physical activity I believe couch potatoing is a sport, provided I lift my arm to use the remote control to change channels !
Darts is not a sport.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When does the physical activity occur ... throwing a light projectile a couple of yards ?

answered yourself. you may consider that trivial, but there's more effort than say shooting which doesnt seem to be debated. its a matter of physical dexterity, not required for non-sports such as using your remote or activities like chess that often get drawn into the debate.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Darts is a SKILL and NOT a sport, as are many of the others mentioned.

It doesn't demean their players performance or psychology, it just doesnt lend itself to a minimum physical effort.

There are anomalies such as F1 which taked high skill and physical endurance, but again for me it is a skill and not a sport.

For me dart players are 'skillsman' the top ones are 'top skillsman' , its a worthy accolade.

Professional footballers are sportsmen, combining skill and physical competitiveness which require high fitness levels, its a sport.

Golf, is a skill too, frustrates those that play this and maybe even their only activity and had it down as a sport, but nah not for me !!!

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
If its on skysports then it's a sport. Just like wrestling..

D

Deleted member 18477

Of course it's a sport you weirdos!! Just like snooker and F1 and cycling and golf etc are.

If darts isn't a sport neither is javelin!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here