Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ironic Cheer when Sanchez caught the ball

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I doubt whether it bothered Sanchez in the slightest. Nothing wrong with a bit of gallows humour to relieve tension.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Jesus, lads, let’s not get too snowflakey. It’s just fans having a bit of a laugh with one of our players who we otherwise support unconditionally every week

Do you not reckon he’s been getting the piss taken at training earlier this week from his team mates - carefully passing him stuff by hand instead of throwing etc? If you don't then I’m guessing that you’ve never played a team sport at any adult level, coz he will have been nailed on for the wanker-of-the-week award.

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I was stood next to a nice girl, (row I, block C/D in the north) very hippyish and devoured a pie before the game, which I admired. She gave me a polite telling off for leaving a couple of minutes into the six added minutes to join the queue for the train.

I could just tell we weren’t going to score and rage quit after yet another offside for Gross.

Just thought I’d share.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Jesus, lads, let’s not get too snowflakey. It’s just fans having a bit of a laugh with one of our players who we otherwise support unconditionally every week

Do you not. reckon he’s been getting the piss taken at training earlier this week from his team mates - carefully passing him stuff by hand instead of throwing etc? If you do then I’m guessing that you’ve never played a team sport at any adult level, coz he will have been nailed on for the wanker-of-the-week award.
I’ve played sport at a good level and been involved in one professionally.

Of course there is banter, but there is a fine line between individual winding a player up in the sanctum of a changing room and a crowd, jumping on the bandwagon potentially damaging the confidence of a younger player (sarcastic or otherwise). Completely accept that it was possibly meant as a joke, but I’d wager not for all those who cheered.

Although different, probably why RdZ asked the crowd to support Caicedo.

I would argue that the wanker-of-the-week would have been shared with MacAllister.

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’ve played sport at a good level and been involved in one professionally.

Of course there is banter, but there is a fine line between individual winding a player up in the sanctum of a changing room and a crowd, jumping on the bandwagon potentially damaging the confidence of a younger player (sarcastic or otherwise). Completely accept that it was possibly meant as a joke, but I’d wager not for all those who cheered.

Although different, probably why RdZ asked the crowd to support Caicedo.

I would argue that the wanker-of-the-week would have been shared with MacAllister.
If his confidence is affected by that, then professional sport is not for him, particularly as a goalkeeper in the world's best league.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If his confidence is affected by that, then professional sport is not for him, particularly as a goalkeeper in the world's best league.
Did you feel that way about Caicedo then or did you support as per the managers request?

Goalkeeper is arguably the toughest position mentally anyway, why add pressure?

I thought it was disappointing and apparently could construed in two ways…… hence starting the thread.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Funny if it had been a friendly match maybe.

I guess our football supporting culture has changed to being people who want a laugh rather than doing everything possible to get behind the players and win.
An hypothesis: now we are 'top ten, in the prem', some youngsters have acquired heightened levels of entitlement.

As in, when you have spent good money on Charlie, and made the effort to get to the game you are entitled to the highest possible level of performance. Or 'get rid'.

Hopefully it is a minority.

But perhaps I'm wrong and it was just bantz.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Did you feel that way about Caicedo then or did you support as per the managers request?

Goalkeeper is arguably the toughest position mentally anyway, why add pressure?

I thought it was disappointing and apparently could construed in two ways…… hence starting the thread.
You're right, Goalkeeper is the toughest position, so on the basis that he can deal with opposing fans giving him grief behind him for at lest 45 minutes then he can handle a bit of friendly home-fan banter.

Caicedo is a different case. Although while we're on the subject, for all the support he's been given he's not been back to his best since the games he missed due to suspension and then being rested due to the transfer speculation. He owes us a performance.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Given that there had been a almost constant singing support before, I saw it as an ironic cheer, nothing malicious or nasty. It would have been very different had it been from the start and throughout, but it was obviously light hearted.
I think the (IMO) over reaction on this thread is simply the diosappointment of yesterdays result showing.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
You're right, Goalkeeper is the toughest position, so on the basis that he can deal with opposing fans giving him grief behind him for at lest 45 minutes then he can handle a bit of friendly home-fan banter.

Caicedo is a different case. Although while we're on the subject, for all the support he's been given he's not been back to his best since the games he missed due to suspension and then being rested due to the transfer speculation. He owes us a performance.
But that’s the point, perception, ‘friendly banter’or ‘sarcastic bastards’.

Caicedo, yes, thought he was better yesterday, but can do a lot more.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Confession time.

I was in the Upper East yesterday and the first time Sanchez caught the ball early in the match, I shouted and cheered quite loudly in a very good humoured way, ‘Nice catch Sanchez!’ I did it once and didn't repeat it but I shouted it out. So there! 😂

I was the only one in my immediate area that said it, I didnt hear anyone else say it, so no ‘bandwagon’ involved, it was a quiet area of the stadium so my voice carried - everyone around me smiled or laughed and took it in the way it was meant as ‘light hearted banter’ which was saying ‘it’s OK Sanchez to make mistakes - we are over it and still care enough about you to share a ‘private‘ joke publicly and have a little tease..

The over reaction to this by some folk on this thread is ridiculous.

Last edited:

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I must be on a different wavelength but when I heard the cheer I genuinely thought the irony was aimed at Fulham as it was the first time they had got the ball anywhere near our penalty area!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
I must be on a different wavelength but when I heard the cheer I genuinely thought the irony was aimed at Fulham as it was the first time they had got the ball anywhere near our penalty area!

Until someone said in the game thread "There will be goals" I feel so guilty.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
I took it as a laugh but not his positioning for the Fulham goal and as an ex World Class keeper I should know :ROFLMAO:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Wanker thickos joining in with that.

My 15 year old son couldn't believe it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here