** iPhone 5S/5C/6 !? **

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... I downloaded an App for it that was supposed to be a better 'keyboard' than the google one. I installed it, and then the phone was awash with advertising, the chrome Internet browser had its default search engine reset to some nefarious one, the home page was also changed. Three separate apps then appeared on the desktop, one for music downloads, one for movie downloads and one for betting. This is my problem with google android, it is not monitored, it's not secure,...

you downloaded an app with no research and allowed it (yes, you did) access to your phone. you blame the device and the platform for this? do you blame Microsoft because after installing Adobe Flash you also find Mcaffee installed? yes, it is a problem for the andriod platform that there is lower barrier to entry for apps, but lets recognise the correct issue. Apple is seen by many as being overly restrictive, you're only allowed to run what they deem is suitable for you.

the pricing on the 5c shows they have missed the point of a "budget" phone. they could have just left the old 5 on the shelves discounted by a similar amount (which is what the 5c is anyway as far as i can tell). on the other hand its great marketing spin, they've done as asked but in the process probably increased margin by using cheaper materials.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's the only colour to go for.

How else will casual observers know you've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a phone that is only slightly different to the one before?

The advantage of the black one is that it does not come with a "you have spent how ****ing much on a new phone..what was wrong with the last one?" from the Frau.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Does it come down to the price then? Because the HTC One does not have any better features than the iPhone does it?

I prefer the android system, the larger screen size and the preferable audio.

The price is important to me and, frankly, I probably just fancy a change. The fact I'd have to also pay out anyway for my iphone to fit on my existing dock just further signals to me there is no need to HAVE to stay with iPhone.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
you downloaded an app with no research and allowed it (yes, you did) access to your phone. You blame the device and the platform for this? Do you blame microsoft because after installing adobe flash you also find mcaffee installed? yes, it is a problem for the andriod platform that there is lower barrier to entry for apps, but lets recognise the correct issue. Apple is seen by many as being overly restrictive, you're only allowed to run what they deem is suitable for you.

The pricing on the 5c shows they have missed the point of a "budget" phone. They could have just left the old 5 on the shelves discounted by a similar amount (which is what the 5c is anyway as far as i can tell). On the other hand its great marketing spin, they've done as asked but in the process probably increased margin by using cheaper materials.

yes i do!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I prefer the android system, the larger screen size and the preferable audio.

The price is important to me and, frankly, I probably just fancy a change. The fact I'd have to also pay out anyway for my iphone to fit on my existing dock just further signals to me there is no need to HAVE to stay with iPhone.

I understand.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
you downloaded an app with no research and allowed it (yes, you did) access to your phone. you blame the device and the platform for this? do you blame Microsoft because after installing Adobe Flash you also find Mcaffee installed? yes, it is a problem for the andriod platform that there is lower barrier to entry for apps, but lets recognise the correct issue. Apple is seen by many as being overly restrictive, you're only allowed to run what they deem is suitable for you.

the pricing on the 5c shows they have missed the point of a "budget" phone. they could have just left the old 5 on the shelves discounted by a similar amount (which is what the 5c is anyway as far as i can tell). on the other hand its great marketing spin, they've done as asked but in the process probably increased margin by using cheaper materials.

I think one of the issues with the iphone 5 is that noah must have had one as its only available for 4g on EE and not any other network - now that just shows how poor apple really is. As it has been said above I also used to have iphones i since switched to the s3 and now have the s4 which I feel is a much better phone. I also prefer the "control" I have with android and understand when and when not to allow apps to use the system, although I have never had a problem with a google store app to this point - touch wood

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I certainly shan't be stumping up £550 for a thumb print scanner over and above my 5. IT'll last me another year until they bring out the next one. IOS 7 will make it feel like a new phone anyway.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Not really, I downloaded an app from the GOOGLE PLAY store, something I have registered to be able to use, not something that I expected to provide apps littered with spammy stuff. I saw no option to prevent the other apps to load, nor for it to change my search engine. If I had gone to a third party app provider (do they exist) then I guess I could understand it, I wouldn't have done it in the first place anyway.

As for what Flash does, that's easy, a clear tick box to opt out, no problems. Likewise with other downloads on a Computer. Plus, it's fair to say, Macafee is not spam or malware, it doesn't change the way your Programmes work, you may not want it, but it is a recognised program used by millions.

Google could increase their market share by providing some sort of protection, a level of secure apps that they have approved.

FWIW, the app I downloaded looked to all intents and purposes like an official google type app, very business like etc. the additional apps it loaded were pointing to dubious music and movie sites, the search engine looked like nothing I've seen in a browser before either. I'll look them up when I get into a computer some time and see if they are legit, I don't think they will be.

Regardless of whether you think apple is restrictive or not, I want a smartphone that works, is easy to use, and does not provide me with challenges, it is after all only a phone, why should it be subject to spam, malware and viruses? Apple, IMO , have got that bit rights. Oh, and the keyboard is a delight to use, unlike the one on the HTC Desire I have to use for work, or the keyboard on the Nexus 4.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I actually think the new 5C looks very nice, but I think the pricing is a joke. It's not a budget handset at all.

And it seems reception has been very poor so far

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/...arketingDailyBulletin&bulletin=marketingdaily

The 5S appears to be the standard "S" upgrade of slightly better hardware within the same shell, which I don't think offers enough reason to upgrade from the 5.

Interesting that Apple shares actually fell after this launch. Are they losing their way? A fingerprint scanner seems to be the only real innovation this time round, and it's not exactly new. Where is their once industry leading foresight and technological wonder?

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
Not really, I downloaded an app from the GOOGLE PLAY store, something I have registered to be able to use, not something that I expected to provide apps littered with spammy stuff. I saw no option to prevent the other apps to load, nor for it to change my search engine. If I had gone to a third party app provider (do they exist) then I guess I could understand it, I wouldn't have done it in the first place anyway.

As for what Flash does, that's easy, a clear tick box to opt out, no problems. Likewise with other downloads on a Computer. Plus, it's fair to say, Macafee is not spam or malware, it doesn't change the way your Programmes work, you may not want it, but it is a recognised program used by millions.

Google could increase their market share by providing some sort of protection, a level of secure apps that they have approved.

FWIW, the app I downloaded looked to all intents and purposes like an official google type app, very business like etc. the additional apps it loaded were pointing to dubious music and movie sites, the search engine looked like nothing I've seen in a browser before either. I'll look them up when I get into a computer some time and see if they are legit, I don't think they will be.

Regardless of whether you think apple is restrictive or not, I want a smartphone that works, is easy to use, and does not provide me with challenges, it is after all only a phone, why should it be subject to spam, malware and viruses? Apple, IMO , have got that bit rights. Oh, and the keyboard is a delight to use, unlike the one on the HTC Desire I have to use for work, or the keyboard on the Nexus 4.

I rather like the swype keyboard on my nexus 4, once you are used to it anything else seems counter-intuitive.
Regarding apps - i've had my phone since December and have never had any problems, though I do read reviews before downloading an app, especially if it is free. Horses for courses I guess, im used to the android operating system and have never had any problems, equally I get on fine with apple on my ipad. I just think that for £199 the nexus 4 blows the 5c (and any other phone if you do not require an expensive contract) out of the water and apple are not pricing competitively.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Oh, and the keyboard is a delight to use, unlike the one on the HTC Desire I have to use for work, or the keyboard on the Nexus 4.

Try a third party keyboard such as Swype or Swiftkey. They are very good. I have been using Swype for over three years now and find it very very fast and pretty accurate. It always makes me smile when I see people toiling away in the old fashioned way with two fingers or one key at a time strokes. It works very well on my two tablets as well.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I actually think the new 5C looks very nice, but I think the pricing is a joke. It's not a budget handset at all.

And it seems reception has been very poor so far

http://www.marketingmagazine.co.uk/...arketingDailyBulletin&bulletin=marketingdaily

The 5S appears to be the standard "S" upgrade of slightly better hardware within the same shell, which I don't think offers enough reason to upgrade from the 5.

Interesting that Apple shares actually fell after this launch. Are they losing their way? A fingerprint scanner seems to be the only real innovation this time round, and it's not exactly new. Where is their once industry leading foresight and technological wonder?

I think if apple had priced the 5c around £300-£350 things would be very different. for £80 more, probably less on contract who wouldnt get a 5s?!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I think if apple had priced the 5c around £300-£350 things would be very different. for £80 more, probably less on contract who wouldnt get a 5s?!

Quite.

I think the sort of people who have money to blow on contract free premium handsets are not going to be put off by £80 in order to get the top of the range model.

It'll be interesting to see sales figures for SIM free 5Cs because I can't see many people beyond those desperate for an iPhone with a splash of colour, will be interested.

The youth will lap them up on contracts, IF they are priced competitively. But evidence suggests they're still going to cost more on a contract than even better specced rival handsets.

Of course I could be wrong, and underestimating the number of Apple fanboys who've been crying out for an iPhone with a coloured shell. But do not these same fanboys crave the very best kit? If another model exists that is more powerful and better equipped, how are they going to bear living with an inferior handset?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i agree with that. just dont see that a phone should be critisised due to the third party apps being installed. the reference to Mcaffee was off the top of my head, its spam if i dont want it and have forgot to uncheck the box. theres been plenty of other examples more like your scenario over the years. its often the price of "free" stuff. we wouldnt download any old software unvetted for our computer, so why do we assume phones should be different? Apple have of course changed the expectation somewhat, but the down side is they can restrict apps or pull apps on a whim, you are beholden to them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
i agree with that. just dont see that a phone should be critisised due to the third party apps being installed. the reference to Mcaffee was off the top of my head, its spam if i dont want it and have forgot to uncheck the box. theres been plenty of other examples more like your scenario over the years. its often the price of "free" stuff. we wouldnt download any old software unvetted for our computer, so why do we assume phones should be different? Apple have of course changed the expectation somewhat, but the down side is they can restrict apps or pull apps on a whim, you are beholden to them.

Not really criticising the hardware, it was quite nice, but the os is what you use, and android in its current format doesn't really do it for me, hence wanting to change the keyboard, oh, and the email software. Whilst you may feel you are beholden to Apple (i don't really) it is important to me that the kit works, it does Internet , Twitter, Tappatalk, FB, email and makes phone calls, and I don't have to keep retyping things. ooh, and there are bundles of games and apps that I can have some fune with, and they don't cause me any worry regarding malware, spam etc.

Each to their own, if google provide a 'certified' range of apps I'd be very tempted, due to the price of the kit, till then, the peace of mind I get with iOS an apple suits me better.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

What is sadder, people obsesed with Apple products, or people who have got this much time on their hands? FFS, go and do something constructive with your time, who knows, if you put this much effort into real work, you might actually earn some money and be able to afford a decent phone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports