Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** iPhone 5S/5C/6 !? **

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What is sadder, people obsesed with Apple products, or people who have got this much time on their hands? FFS, go and do something constructive with your time, who knows, if you put this much effort into real work, you might actually earn some money and be able to afford a decent phone.
So you think the people that made that video aren't succeeding at work and can't afford a new phone?

I have the iPhone 4, and it's a bit shit. If I want to end a call, I press 'End', and wait... I get bored of waiting, so I switch the phone off and put it in my pocket. So my iPhone decides I don't need to cancel the call anymore, so I stay connected (or at least, I keep paying for the call) until I switch the phone back on and click 'End' again. And wait, again.

My phone can't connect to my home wifi either, because of a hardware fault. No worries though, Apple will fix it if I give them about £130. Not what I expect from a £500 phone.

brighton_girl87

Jul 18, 2006
I cant help but think Apple have got their pricing way out for the 5c. A nexus 4 16GB is now £199 on google play, that is a fantastic deal....

I ordered one of them yesterday, I got £150 from my insurance company for my broken HTC Desire HD and the Nexus 4 seems by far the best phone available for under £200. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My phone can't connect to my home wifi either, because of a hardware fault. No worries though, Apple will fix it if I give them about £130. Not what I expect from a £500 phone.

If it's in warranty they'll fix it for free. Otherwise yes you do have to pay. No difference to most things. Would you expect a plumber to pop round and fix your washing machine for free it was out of warranty?

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
The thing about the fingerprint scanner is that its the gateway to a supposedly secure phone that will allow you to pay for everything using your phone. At present if you lost your phone it could be used by whoever had it to purchase stuff - the scanner is supposed to stop all that and apple are hoping that this will get them ahead of the game with companies that want to run their apps and payments from a secure phone.

The 5C was made for the China market but it appears that Apple have priced it too high - we shall see. Apple also want to make the 5C a business phone that large companies give to employees for work - they can shut out some features and apps so its a work phone rather than an employees own mobile.

Apart from a bigger screen the 5 was hardly a jump from a 4S so I can see why they are killing it . People will want to jump to the 5S rather than hang on for Iphone 6

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The thing about the fingerprint scanner is that its the gateway to a supposedly secure phone that will allow you to pay for everything using your phone. At present if you lost your phone it could be used by whoever had it to purchase stuff - the scanner is supposed to stop all that and apple are hoping that this will get them ahead of the game with companies that want to run their apps and payments from a secure phone.

the fingerprint scanner will only be as good as the support mechanism around it, has to be possible to reset in some way, but not too easily that it can be hacked. dont expect to see third parties like banks trust their security on it.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So you think the people that made that video aren't succeeding at work and can't afford a new phone?

I have the iPhone 4, and it's a bit shit. If I want to end a call, I press 'End', and wait... I get bored of waiting, so I switch the phone off and put it in my pocket. So my iPhone decides I don't need to cancel the call anymore, so I stay connected (or at least, I keep paying for the call) until I switch the phone back on and click 'End' again. And wait, again.

Try having those problems fixed on an android phone, no chance. At least apple offer you a discount-priced replacement for out of warranty phones. Something wrong with your out of warranty htc? Tough luck.

Personally, a nearly 4 year old phone working at all is pretty decent. I had an HTC sensation which showed ageing problems at 6 months, and became unusable after 12.

Hockley Blues

Feb 3, 2005
Southend
I cant help but think Apple have got their pricing way out for the 5c. A nexus 4 16GB is now £199 on google play, that is a fantastic deal....

Absolutely. I've only ever had iPhones as my smartphone of choice. Great phones, but once my contract is up for renewal - I'll be dumping them for the Nexus. Just had enough of their "premium" pricing policy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Personally, a nearly 4 year old phone working at all is pretty decent. I had an HTC sensation which showed ageing problems at 6 months, and became unusable after 12.

I've got two HTC Desires which are still going strong (with my kids). They are 3 and a half years old. Perhaps you were unlucky?

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I've got two HTC Desires which are still going strong (with my kids). They are 3 and a half years old. Perhaps you were unlucky?

The phones or dustbins three and half years old?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Try having those problems fixed on an android phone, no chance. At least apple offer you a discount-priced replacement for out of warranty phones. Something wrong with your out of warranty htc? Tough luck.

Agree. Personally I think Apple's after-sales care is second to none. And it is also part of the reason you pay more for the product. I have had to return a phone and two ipods over the years and all three times I have walked into the Apple store and walked out 10 minutes later with a refurbished item (which to you and me looks like a brand spanking new product which also comes with a warranty) with no questions asked. I had to pay for the two ipods but this was minimal and both were battered as I use them endlessly each and every day and go running with them as well. A speedy, reliable, trustworthy service.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If it's in warranty they'll fix it for free.
It was about 14 months old, but the problem happened before it was 12 months old (I thought it was a software issue, not hardware}]
Would you expect a plumber to pop round and fix your washing machine for free it was out of warranty?
I'd expect the manufacturer to fix it for free it it was 14 months old. We're covered by the sale of goods act for 6 years.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It was about 14 months old, but the problem happened before it was 12 months old (I thought it was a software issue, not hardware}]
I'd expect the manufacturer to fix it for free it it was 14 months old. We're covered by the sale of goods act for 6 years.

Indeed. So why not quote the relevant Sale of Goods Act at Apple? They can't possibly charge you for faulty hardware that is not of your doing. Also your credit card company (assuming it was purchased by credit card) has equal liability under the Act.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What options are there for flogging my iPhone 5? Obviously there is eBay. Any good phone recycling deals out there?

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Anyone picked one up yet then?

I ordered mine this morning so won't get my hands on it for another week or so.

32gb 5c delivered today. still restoring from old 3gs but looks/feels good. Desperate for my Otterbox defender case coming from USA; should be here by tuesday apparently. :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Popped into a Carphone Warehouse on the way to work on the off chance, expecting nothing but got a 32gb 5s in Space Grey. It's like my 5, but in grey. Who knew?

The Touch ID sensor is very impressively implemented though. Even the Apple haters in the office were genuinely wowed at how it works.

We'll soon be thinking back to the day when people either had unprotected phones or swiped and entered a PIN and think of it as old-fashioned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here