Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** iPhone 5S/5C/6 !? **

D

Deleted member 18477

But would you not prefer an iPhone 5 over a plastic 5C (which looks like it will scratch to pieces)? considering they would probably cost around the same ...

They wouldn't cost the same though? Plastic is cheaper... That's why they can sell it for cheaper with potentially same spec as the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5s will be of better build quality and consequently more expensive to make.

Last edited by a moderator:

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
They wouldn't cost the same though? Plastic is cheaper... That's why they can sell it for cheaper with potentially same spec as the iPhone 5.

The iPhone 5s will be of better quality and consequently more expensive to make.

But what i'm saying is... if they stop making the iphone 5, they will consequently become cheaper to buy, second hand, or left-over stock, and will probably cost around the same amount as the new 5C. If they have the same spec, i can't see why you would go for a cheap plastic looking thing over the metal of the iphone 5

i'll add that i don't think that is what will happen, but i think that they will keep the iphone 5 going, and have it priced just above the 5C. Even then, a second hand iphone 5 will likely cost less to buy than a new 5C. :shrug:

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
But would you not prefer an iPhone 5 over a plastic 5C (which looks like it will scratch to pieces)? considering they would probably cost around the same ...

Have you not seen the car keys/coins/phone in a sandwich bag video? It's almost entirely scratch-proof casing. So that's not an issue if the video is accurate.
They most definitely won't cost around the same. Around a £200 difference in retail and will of course cost less to build due to the parts being older, therefore cheaper to buy, as well as cheaper material.
It's all just opinions and rumours at the moment though. When they are officially released, of course I'll have a look at both and decide then.
From what I've seen so far, it's the 5C for me.

D

Deleted member 18477

But what i'm saying is... if they stop making the iphone 5, they will consequently become cheaper to buy, second hand, or left-over stock, and will probably cost around the same amount as the new 5C. If they have the same spec, i can't see why you would go for a cheap plastic looking thing over the metal of the iphone 5

i'll add that i don't think that is what will happen, but i think that they will keep the iphone 5 going, and have it priced just above the 5C. Even then, a second hand iphone 5 will likely cost less to buy than a new 5C. :shrug:

Rather have a new iPhone 5c than a second hand 5 to be honest. I know what you're saying though.

All we can do is wait until September 10th

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Thanks. I wonder if we might expect a two day shutdown this time around, starting on the 9th September.

In tribute to the magnitude of the occasion, amongst other things.

This is excellent news, I'll be on way back from New York then so will have no requirement for NSC to be available to get me through another working day.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
A couple of updates (new rumours):

1: Apple Announcement expected to be on the 10th September
2: Release date expected to be 20th September
3: iPhone 5C internals almost identical to the iPhone 5.
4: iPhone 5S as desbribed in post #55
5: Rumoured 'trade-in' at Apple stores. Trade in your old iPhone for credit towards a new iPhone.

A couple of links below but there are a two dozen websites with all of the same information which mostly originates from a guy in Aus with close connections with the Apple supply chain in Asia (or something to that affect).

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...nce-suggests-september-20-release-date-411757

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/techno...iphone-5c-new-specifications-features-2232424

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's all VERY exciting.

I'm slightly annoyed they won't be announcing on the 9th. What with it being my birthday and all...

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Blue 5C look lurrvvely, take with a pinch of salt:

iphone-5c-pink.jpg

iphone-5c-blue1.jpg

iphone-5c-yellow.jpg

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/iphone-5c-in-the-pink-in-new-lumia-esque-leaked-pics-50012132/

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
iPad 5 & iPad Mini 2 speculated for release October-November 2013.

Personally very interested in the Mini 2.
Retina + faster Processor please.

Multiple sources (rumour sites).

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
A nice article regarding Apple Vs Android.

--

Why Android has nothing to fear from the iPhone 5C
The C stands for “Crikey, it’s not as cheap as we thought it would be”.

iphone-5c-main_0.jpg

Technology pundits are obsessed with obliteration and doom.

Trained to expect Microsoft’s level of market dominance during the height of the Windows era, every company now seemingly has to lose for one to win. So it goes with the iPhone 5C, set to launch on 10 September. The budget iPhone apparently spells doom for Android (because if Apple has a cheap phone, everyone will of course buy it at the exclusion of everything else) or possibly for Apple (because it’ll be a massive failure).

NOTHING TO FEAR

iphone-5c-leaked-package_0.jpg

The reality is that Android has nothing to fear from the iPhone 5C, but neither does Apple. Those who protest don’t know Apple very well, and haven’t been paying attention to the mobile market since about 2007.

Those believing Android should be preparing for the biggest fight of its life make the assumption that Apple will give away iPhone 5Cs like candy, perhaps taped to the front of magazine covers or hurled at passers-by in and around Cupertino by an increasingly frantic Tim Cook. They talk of a race to the bottom, through Apple finally getting serious about market share.

But market share remains a red-herring and isn’t terribly useful without context – raw numbers aren’t enough. Many Android devices boast an ancient version of the OS and shoddy hardware; even many that don’t were shipped by companies desperate to survive rather than thrive, to people who only care about price. This is contrary to how Apple thinks.

MAKE IPHONE, ?? ??, PROFIT!

iphone-5c-02_0.jpg

Apple cares about profits. It cares about making beautiful, usable, high-quality kit with a minimum of compromise. It cares about ecosystems and users who’ll continue to spend, through apps, media and accessories, becoming increasingly invested, so the next time they buy a smartphone, another iPhone is the obvious choice.

On that basis, the iPhone 5C is not about cheap. At the most, it’s about making the iPhone a little more affordable, widening the net just enough, in the same way Apple expanded its original iPod line and, recently, the iPad.

In fact, the iPad Mini gives a good indication of what will happen to Apple and Android when the iPhone 5C is unveiled. The price will be “too high”, and the device’s predicted sales will be “disappointing”. Yet the device will sell “surprisingly well” as pundits crawl back to their caves, mumbling that’s really what they expected to happen in the first place.

Android won’t take a beating, because there will always be people who don’t want to (or can’t afford to) pay a premium, even if that premium is lower than it was before. In the market the iPhone 5C is targeting, Android will nonetheless also continue to thrive, because the market continues to grow and is staggeringly huge. Apple will doubtless encourage people to migrate from other platforms, but that will be a trickle rather than a flood, stemmed by factors including certain users wanting flexibility Apple refuses to provide and carriers pushing Android because it’s a better deal for them.

WHO'S PLAYING CATCH-UP?

iphone-5c_2.jpg

In the medium term, Apple profits will take a small hit as some iPhone users upgrade to the cheaper model, but overall sales will remain strong. The 5C’s range of colours will lead to its competitors scrambling to issue their own candy-colured range of range of smartphones; Android advocates will insist this was “obvious” all along, and the ailing Nokia will look on, hysterically waving Lumias that bucked the ‘black or white’ trend years ago. (Apple will simply remain oblivious to the noise, describing its current penchant for colour by using vaguely irritating adjectives such as ‘magical’ and ‘fruity’.)

Soon after, everyone will forget the iPhone 5C was ever a potential concern to Android or Apple alike – they’ll be too busy griping that the iPhone 6 is going to be rubbish, that “Steve Jobs would never have done” whatever Apple’s doing at that point, and lamenting Apple not releasing a smartphone with a screen bigger than an iPad Mini’s or an iPad the size of a Surface, despite only three people worldwide actually wanting one.​

http://www.stuff.tv/android/why-android-has-nothing-fear-iphone-5c/feature

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Having had android for few years and iPhones last 2 years can say without any doubt that android is a better user experience . So many things beats iphone on . Next phone will go back to the dark side for sure,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here