Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

** iPhone 5S/5C/6 !? **

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Or maybe people put them on so that they don't make scratches on the phone when they drop it? Just a thought.

Sure. I understand this. But part of the appeal is the look and feel of the things. How many other products do you cover in protective rubber? So why single out Apple products?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Risk of scratching is not the reason I have my iPhone in a case. It's the risk of dropping it and taking a chunk out of it or maybe smashing it to bits that makes me put a cover on mine.

Do you drop your phone lot then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah I can't hack contracts. The below is a very rough estimate but if you have the dosh up front, you'll nearly always save good money on new release phones.

Price comparison:

Contract:
Initial handset cost: £50 - £100
Averaqe unlimited data contract: £35.00 p/m over 24 months
= £890 - £940

PAYG:
Initial handset cost: £280 - £360 (Budget Rumours)
Giffgaff unlimited sim (PAYG) £12.00 p/m (x24 months)
= £568 - £648

Agree. If you can afford the money you'd be foolish to by a contract phone.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm starting to reach this conclusion - But how unlimited is 'unlimited' and GiffGaff?

I regularly use 10-15gb a month for my £12.

Pretty much the same as Bozza. I've got a couple of slaps on the wrist for 'tethering' so I don't bother with that anymore.
I stream radio/podcasts for a constant 8 hours Mon-Fri so my usage is around 15gb, possibly 20gb+ in the football season with Sky Go & TV Catchup.

It is unlimited as long as you don't tether or use your device in the way the phone wasn't intended to be used. I.e downloading torrents on the phone, tethering etc..

Well worth it.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
That's sensational. Thank you, decision made. (Once I'm out of my 24 month contract in Nov :rolleyes:).....

Feel free to order your new sim through my page, then we'll both get a fiver for free when you activate it! :thumbsup:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Pretty much the same as Bozza. I've got a couple of slaps on the wrist for 'tethering' so I don't bother with that anymore.
I stream radio/podcasts for a constant 8 hours Mon-Fri so my usage is around 15gb, possibly 20gb+ in the football season with Sky Go & TV Catchup.

It is unlimited as long as you don't tether or use your device in the way the phone wasn't intended to be used. I.e downloading torrents on the phone, tethering etc..

Well worth it.

Many thanks for the advice - Was camping in St Davids last week and had (bizarrely) rubbish radio coverage but perfect 3G, so enjoyed streaming the radio but had to keep it limited....

Feel free to order your new sim through my page, then we'll both get a fiver for free when you activate it! :thumbsup:

How does one do that then?

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I queued from silly o'clock to get the 5 on launch morning in order to experience the novelty of it all. It was, frankly, a horrendous experience.

As such I expect to be pre-ordering the 5S to have it rushed to my door instead. I might even go for the 'bling' version this time as a complete change from my stealthy black 5 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...hone-5S-new-champagne-gold-colour-coming.html

I did the pre-order deliver to door option for the 5 and it arrived at my office at 11:30am. When I queued up to buy the iphone 4, I queued from 7am until 11am to get my device and then drove to work late.

I know which I will be doing this time.

D

Deleted member 18477

If the budget one is £280-£360 i might consider - especially if its iphone 5 spec.

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Are they going to make it LONGER with another row of apps?

I have reason to believe the iphone 6 may be quite a lot longer.

iphone6.png

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
This annoys me so much. Apple products are items of beauty, they really are, and to cover them up is a crime. All my Apple products are as naked as the day they were born and they look much better for it. The Frau has a lovely white Ipad mini which she houses in this disgusting flip top tacky purple plastic case. Why?

Mines covered to protect it from site dust,cement,saw dust and any other nasties I come across at work.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
Risk of scratching is not the reason I have my iPhone in a case. It's the risk of dropping it and taking a chunk out of it or maybe smashing it to bits that makes me put a cover on mine.

An Otterbox Defender for my 3gs. Just about the best you can buy (for builders) i think.

Do you drop your phone lot then?

All the time.

Mines covered to protect it from site dust,cement,saw dust and any other nasties I come across at work.

Quite. Mines been in bucket of wallpaper paste amongst other things, and is with me on site every minute of every day. It's immaculate when case is off/being changed.

At the end of the day, it's a functioning smartphone that gets me on the net, and pick up emails etc. The case keeps it doing that, and also makes it that less attractive to thieves. That it syncs across all my Apple stuff at home without issue is also a primary concern. Looks are not.
If i can get the same case for a 5c, then i'm in.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
So will the new 5c & 5s be physically bigger than the 5.

I've read the 5S & C screen size is a hair wider than the current 5. But overall, no drastic changes on size.
'Leaked' picture below from L-R = iPhone 5 - 5S - 5C (with skull and crossbone sticker on home). Do remember that all these photos could easily be Chinese fakes.

iPhone_5C_iPhone_5S_iPhone_5.jpg

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
More 'leaked' info on the 5C:

Taken from: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/123...deo-might-hold-you-over-until-september-event

phphbor2s.png

Alleged iPhone 5C shown off in scratch-test video, might hold you over until September event

Colorful, plastic rear shells allegedly belonging to Apple's much speculated iPhone 5C have surfaced in a scratch-test video.

Taiwanese website Apple Daily posted the video recently, providing a closer look at the Apple's budget iPhone. Specifically, the blue one. The video shows a partially unseen man placing a blue iPhone 5C shell in a Ziploc bag filled with car keys and metal coins. He then fiercely shook the bag and its contents. From there, the same man grabbed the shell and directly attempted to scratch it with a key.

phpn1yxjw.png

The video isn't exactly HD, but it's easy to see that the blue shell survived the test unscathed (see top image). But that's not all: the video also shows a quick shot of similar plastic shells in white, green and red. It even shows caliper measurements for the iPhone 5C.

Measuring 24.55mm x 59.13mm x 8.98mm, the iPhone 5C is apparently slightly bigger than the iPhone 5. The video also includes an image of the iPhone 5S, Apple's successor to the iPhone 5. It is reportedly set to unveil alongside the plastic iPhone 5C in September. That said, the image of the iPhone 5S focuses on the rear camera's rumoured dual-LED flash.

phpk7voc1.png

It's anyone’s best guess as to whether this video is legit. Reports are claiming the iPhone 5C looks coated in some sort of protective material, while others say the video is a complete fake. Either way, it's one of the first detailed looks at both phones in one video.
Check the video out below for yourself; it might be enough to whet your appetite until Apple unveils both handsets at its 10 September media event. There's also a gallery of screenshots available below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cOhAzd0tp28

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Fair enough, but when you get home dont you want to UNDRESS it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here