Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] International football tonight

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody is going to miss Egypt or Sweden from the World Cup Finals are they. Egypt are a pathetic borefest of a team as they proved (again) at the AFCON, so I'm glad they're out. Sweden make me yawn just thinking about them.

Well done Jakub. He'll be BUZZING for Saturday, should be a definite starter.

The truth in this made me smile

[tweet]1508908051956486145[/tweet]

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Unfortunately I was busy having a bunch of Poles putting their poles up my arse so I didnt see the game but perhaps GS went with what GP sometimes did last season? Ben White gives you the luxuary of playing with multiple formations at the same time because of his pace and, even more so, how he reads the game. He can attack on the right wing and seemingly just a second later be part of a back three. When he is doing the job of two players you can put another player elsewhere on the pitch... which is obviously a massive advantage. In that sense White is quite similar to Trippier.

I totally agree with you about White’s excellent ability to offer flexibility and we’ve missed him a lot this season IMO.

Unfortunately the England manager is not in Potter’s league when it comes to tactics and in fairness to him like any international manager, he doesn’t have the time to work on game plans with the players. So I have absolutely no faith that Southgate would be able to successfully get England playing like we did.

We are a seriously dull side. I like the individual players in this squad but have no interest at all in watching us as a team as we are just incredibly boring. Personally I don’t care about the semi and final, football to me is about entertainment and playing with style. With players like Grealish, Foden, Sterling and Bellingham, we should be exciting to watch but we are the complete opposite.

Hope everyone who doesn’t watch the Bundesliga enjoyed watching Bellingham though, I hear he was very good as usual, he is an unbelievable player.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
A really solid nights work for England, we look in good shape for another tilt at glory in Nov/December.

Big plusses were an excellent performance from Bellingham, not sure how he can leave him out now, only issue I forsee is he looks another whose best position is just off or wide of Kane so where does he get in with Grealish, Sterling, Foden, Mount all wanting to play in a similar position. I'd like personally to see him play from a little deeper and paired with Rice in the centre of the park of all those options I think he looks the most natural and being able to play that role and will offer far more than Phillips with the ball.

Also a colossal performance and a goal from Mings, quietly playing himself into the starting line up particularly given Maguires issues. Nice for Watkins to get on the scoresheet too, I think that cements his place in the squad as possibly third striker behind Kane and Abraham.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Nobody is going to miss Egypt or Sweden from the World Cup Finals are they. Egypt are a pathetic borefest of a team as they proved (again) at the AFCON, so I'm glad they're out. Sweden make me yawn just thinking about them.

Well done Jakub. He'll be BUZZING for Saturday, should be a definite starter.

Probably not no, just like very few would miss England. Though personally I look forward to watching you wet the bed on the first smell of pressure. Will be interesting to see how Qatari authorities deal with English fans, coked up as a way of trying to circumvent feeling and acting like losers, your national trait and an eternal source for entertainment. Just hoping you can stop yourself from killing 40 or so of the opposing fans on your way out.

The truth in this made me smile

[tweet]1508908051956486145[/tweet]

:lol:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Probably not no, just like very few would miss England. Though personally I look forward to watching you wet the bed on the first smell of pressure. Will be interesting to see how Qatari authorities deal with English fans, coked up as a way of trying to circumvent feeling and acting like losers, your national trait and an eternal source for entertainment. Just hoping you can stop yourself from killing 40 or so of the opposing fans on your way out.
Our last two tournaments have resulted in a semi-final and a final appearance. Not really wetting the bed to have that far is it?

Take your point on the rest of it though, although I can't help feeling you wouldn't have mentioned it at all if [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] hadn't highlighted what is an unpalatable truth to you - that the Swedish national side is consistently dull and as such nobody is going to miss them. That said, I love all of the Scandinavian fans at football tournaments - you all turn up in big numbers, drink the place dry (especially the Danes IMO) and there is rarely any bother. I saw this in Cologne 2006 when 120,000 English and 60,000 Swedes spent all day drinking in the hot sun - great atmosphere. And thus let's face it, if you have to miss out on a WC, then Qatar is a good one to miss.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Probably not no, just like very few would miss England. Though personally I look forward to watching you wet the bed on the first smell of pressure.

No one here expects us to win or even I suspect get to the semi finals.

Will be interesting to see how Qatari authorities deal with English fans, coked up as a way of trying to circumvent feeling and acting like losers, your national trait and an eternal source for entertainment.

For someone who constantly says they read between the lines, and takes what the media say with a pinch of salt, I am surprised you have generalised all English fans as hooligans. No one is going to go there to cause trouble, the English are not that stupid, the deterrents are too high, for our fans and all the others.

Just hoping you can stop yourself from killing 40 or so of the opposing fans on your way out.

Really when was the last time English fans killed someone ??
6500 migrant workers have died building the stadiums and infrastructure that will be dormant and never used again after the World Cup, and your making shit up, and joking about us killing fans.

Frankly you sound bitter, cheer up, you have a valid excuse not to watch the world cup now, and not just on a moral stand point either.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Our last two tournaments have resulted in a semi-final and a final appearance. Not really wetting the bed to have that far is it?

Take your point on the rest of it though, although I can't help feeling you wouldn't have mentioned it at all if [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] hadn't highlighted what is an unpalatable truth to you - that the Swedish national side is consistently dull and as such nobody is going to miss them. That said, I love all of the Scandinavian fans at football tournaments - you all turn up in big numbers, drink the place dry (especially the Danes IMO) and there is rarely any bother. I saw this in Cologne 2006 when 120,000 English and 60,000 Swedes spent all day drinking in the hot sun - great atmosphere. And thus let's face it, if you have to miss out on a WC, then Qatar is a good one to miss.

I dont know if losing any time there is a medal at stake (WC semi-final, WC third place game, EC final), all three times in a scared and cowardly fashion, is "not really wetting the bed". Don't know if I would call Easy 10s truth "unpalatable" as I'm well aware we, with a few exceptions, play dull football.. it is how we as a country with 10 million people are in the top 10 in the all time World Cup table. If we tried to play the same way as nations with 6 or 7 times more players to choose from, then we'd very rarely get anywhere near World Cups; needs to be more clever and organized to be successful. Fun? No. But while we are utterly dull, we also dont find a variety of ways to embarrass ourselves every two years.

I completely agree that no one is going to miss Sweden. I think other than the historically big and entertaining sides such as Brazil, Argentina (maybe, they're more often than not dull and dislikable), Germany, Holland, Italy and perhaps France... people struggle to care. These countries are the ones that go to write the history books... pretty much everyone else, bar on the odd occasion, go to tournaments as tourists.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Sweden is the International equivalent of Burnley on the pitch. No one will miss them in the slightest grinding their way to another low scoring bore draw in yet another forgettable game.

The only thing we would normally miss is the cameraman panning to the hugely attractive blonde swede in the crowd. Given it's 2022 and that is probably a production no no, as well as the fact only one man and his dog will be in Qatar, there really isn't anything to miss.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Honestly, I had no idea England were playing tonight until I opened this thread.

Says a lot for the current level of my England interest

And yet 90,000 mugs still managed to find their way there. I really don’t get what people see in international football anymore.

Friendlies are bunkum, qualifiers are dull as dishwater. Perhaps other than our one clash in Eastern Europe where the resident racists turn up and make it a slightly hostile atmosphere for ten minutes and actual tournaments, despite draws being rigged in our favour we still can’t win.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No one here expects us to win or even I suspect get to the semi finals.

For someone who constantly says they read between the lines, and takes what the media say with a pinch of salt, I am surprised you have generalised all English fans as hooligans. No one is going to go there to cause trouble, the English are not that stupid, the deterrents are too high, for our fans and all the others.

Really when was the last time English fans killed someone ??
6500 migrant workers have died building the stadiums and infrastructure that will be dormant and never used again after the World Cup, and your making shit up, and joking about us killing fans.

Frankly you sound bitter, cheer up, you have a valid excuse not to watch the world cup now, and not just on a moral stand point either.

You'd be even more surprised to see I did not generalise all English fans as hooligans. Though you may not be entirely aware of the quite justified international reputation of English fans. Possible you may think "we're very passionate..." while elsewhere people think "here they come, need to close our pubs" or "oh look, they're arranging a Euro finals and it immediatly turned into some kind of caveman fiesta, surprise surprise..."

I am a bit bitter yes but it'll blow over.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
And yet 90,000 mugs still managed to find their way there. I really don’t get what people see in international football anymore.

Friendlies are bunkum, qualifiers are dull as dishwater. Perhaps other than our one clash in Eastern Europe where the resident racists turn up and make it a slightly hostile atmosphere for ten minutes and actual tournaments, despite draws being rigged in our favour we still can’t win.

I went last night, wouldn’t normally but I buy tickets and either give them away or get a mate who is going to take it and scan my ticket for the points. Wembley is a pain, and not a brilliant experience - but it’s all about the actual tournaments and long weekend away days.

If it wasn’t for England I’d probably never have been to some of the most interesting countries I have done

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
...I'm well aware we, with a few exceptions, play dull football.. it is how we as a country with 10 million people are in the top 10 in the all time World Cup table.

Swanny, that top 10 comment intrigued me, so I took the liberty of doing a little research. And you're right...for now at least.

But in truth Sweden have realistically just 9 more months to enjoy that top 10 ranking.

With a solitary group game win, Belgium will replace the Swedes in 10th.

And if Mexico won 3 games in the tournament, the Swedes would drop to 12th.

That's not me knocking the Swedish style of play btw - one does what one can with what one has.

And I was out in Japan in 2002 when Sweden topped the group of death with England, Argentina and Nigeria.

But with the exception of a SF in USA '94 and 4 years ago, there hasn't been a whole lot since the home final in 1958.

Including Qatar, Sweden have failed to qualify for 8 of the Finals since then.

So rather like the Albion at the moment, the position in the table as it stands could mask the current trajectory. :wink:

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/wm/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_national_football_team

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sweden is the International equivalent of Burnley on the pitch. No one will miss them in the slightest grinding their way to another low scoring bore draw in yet another forgettable game.

The only thing we would normally miss is the cameraman panning to the hugely attractive blonde swede in the crowd. Given it's 2022 and that is probably a production no no, as well as the fact only one man and his dog will be in Qatar, there really isn't anything to miss.

On the other hand I'm sure the global audience is looking forward to watch England get through the group stages with a real joga bonito totaal voetbal 2-0 goal difference.

If we're Burnley then you are... I dunno, Roy Hodgsons Crystal Palace?

Since 2000:
People who watched England saw 57 goals in 27 group stage games
People who watched Sweden saw 57 goals in 24 group stage games

England goal difference in group stage: 2-0
Sweden: 4-2

England: 8-3
Sweden: 5-2

England: 3-2
Sweden: 1-3

England: 2-4
Sweden: N/a

2012:
England: 5-3
Sweden: 5-5

2010:
England: 2-1
Sweden: N/A

2008:
England: N/A
Sweden: 3-4

England: 5-2
Sweden: 3-2

England: 8-4
Sweden: 8-3

2002:
England: 2-1
Sweden: 4-3

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Swanny, that top 10 comment intrigued me, so I took the liberty of doing a little research. And you're right...for now at least.

But in truth Sweden have realistically just 9 more months to enjoy that top 10 ranking.

With a solitary group game win, Belgium will replace the Swedes in 10th.

And if Mexico won 3 games in the tournament, the Swedes would drop to 12th.

That's not me knocking the Swedish style of play btw - one does what one can with what one has.

And I was out in Japan in 2002 when Sweden topped the group of death with England, Argentina and Nigeria.

But with the exception of a SF in USA '94 and 4 years ago, there hasn't been a whole lot since the home final in 1958.

Including Qatar, Sweden have failed to qualify for 8 of the Finals since then.

So rather like the Albion at the moment, the position in the table as it stands could mask the current trajectory. :wink:

https://www.worldfootball.net/alltime_table/wm/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweden_national_football_team

Yup, the Belgians are coming, doubt Mexico will be winning 3 though.

You are right though that we usually dont go especially far but we know our place and every World Cup game is pretty much a World Cup final for us. Unlike you and the other 50+ million football nations there are no games we "expect" to win.

And probably you'll one day win a World Cup whereas we wont.

That said, we unlike you had something to celebrate once in the last 50 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOuKVk4yjW0

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Yup, the Belgians are coming, doubt Mexico will be winning 3 though.

You are right though that we usually dont go especially far but we know our place and every World Cup game is pretty much a World Cup final for us. Unlike you and the other 50+ million football nations there are no games we "expect" to win.

And probably you'll one day win a World Cup whereas we wont.

That said, we unlike you had something to celebrate once in the last 50 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOuKVk4yjW0

I quite like the Swedes being at the World Cup - Their fans are good fun - Much better than the Danes who can be a wee bit up their own arse sometimes. Although I have to admit - I do like the way that the current Danish team plays

FOOTNOTE : Another one of those shit skandipop songs attached to that video. They all sound the same for the last 40 years

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath

If you still think that all England away fans cause trouble and dabble with the Bolivian marching powder then you'd be way off the mark. We've cleaned up our act and I'm sure everyone that travels to Qatar will be on their very best behaviour. And when was the last time we killed anyone?
No trouble in Hungary, Poland or Albania during the qualifying phase despite some neanderthals in Budapest with terrible racism.

I know you're upset that Sweden didn't qualify but your post was an extremely unpleasant outburst. Grow up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here