Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] In your mind, have we qualified for the Europa League?

In your mind, have we qualified for the Europa League?

• Yes - we're in the hat

Votes: 290 85.0%
  • No - fearing the nerves of being 5-0 down to City at half-time on Wednesday night

Votes: 51 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Of all the teams we could be playing in the last two games, it HAD to be these two. 😡

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
If we have a +16 goal difference over Villa, doesnt that mean it has to decrease by 17 goals over the two games each ending in defeat? Am I missing something?
Yes it has to change by 17 goals, but it doesn't mean 17 goals need to be scored. As we are playing Villa every goal they score against us is a two goal swing on the GD as it's one added to theirs and one taken away from us.

Yes, but one thing concerns me. What if USG end up in the Europa League too? The rules on having 2 teams with the same owner seem pretty clear https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/football-law/dual-ownership-of-football-clubs#:~:text=UEFA%20rules,-UEFA's%20'Integrity%20of&text=This%20states%20that%20no%20two,managed%20by%20the%20same%20person.
Even if USG make it to the CL, they could still end up in the Europa League if they finish 3rd in their group.

It's not going to be an issue. Tony Bloom is pretty much a passive investor in USG. He has no day to day control over the club, he doesn't sit on their board and the club share no executives at the board room level. Both clubs have submitted paperwork to UEFA when requested. There was an article recently with quotes from someone connected to USG that said they had no concerns about either club being allowed to compete in Europe.

The article you've referenced states that

Having an interest in another football club is defined as meaning:

• the majority of the shareholders’ voting rights in another club in the same UEFA club competition;
  • the right to appoint or remove a majority of the directors in another club in the same UEFA club competition;
  • the majority of the shareholders’ voting rights (through a shareholders’ agreement) in another club in the same UEFA club competition.
Tony Bloom doesn't have any voting rights at USG, his co-investor and their chairman Alex Muzio is in charge of the club. He also doesn't own over 50% of the club. Tony will have made sure he protected both clubs from any chance of falling foul of the dual ownership rule.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Yes it has to change by 17 goals, but it doesn't mean 17 goals need to be scored. As we are playing Villa every goal they score against us is a two goal swing on the GD as it's one added to theirs and one taken away from us.
...and they have to better not equal our GD as a tie would favour us due to our MAHOOSIVE goals scored tally.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If we have a +16 goal difference over Villa, doesnt that mean it has to decrease by 17 goals over the two games each ending in defeat? Am I missing something?
No, that's correct, but each goal Villa scored more than us would narrow the gap by two - ours coming down, their's going up. Lose 5-0 to City, we start at +15 with Villa at +4: - Lose 6-0 to Villa we'd be at +9, but they'd be at +10.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Yes, but one thing concerns me. What if USG end up in the Europa League too? The rules on having 2 teams with the same owner seem pretty clear https://www.claims.co.uk/knowledge-base/football-law/dual-ownership-of-football-clubs#:~:text=UEFA%20rules,-UEFA's%20'Integrity%20of&text=This%20states%20that%20no%20two,managed%20by%20the%20same%20person.
Even if USG make it to the CL, they could still end up in the Europa League if they finish 3rd in their group.

Asked and answered multiple times. Bloom doesn't have a decisive influence over RUSG so by UEFA laws, it's allowed.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
City had two shots on target yesterday against Chelsea! I think the first shot on target was in the second half. Chelsea had six shots according to the BBC.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I would love us to beat City now. Just to.shiw we can do it and stop getting patted on the head by Guardiola.

I fear the relief in the players after rhe final whistle will it's really hard for them to get revved up again.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
City had two shots on target yesterday against Chelsea! I think the first shot on target was in the second half. Chelsea had six shots according to the BBC.
I see you’re ignoring own goals.

BHA 0 - 6 City

Haaland
Dunk (OG) 2
Steele (OG) 3

AV 6 - 0 BHA

Gross (OG)
Caicedo (OG)
Mitoma 2 (OG)
Ferguson 2 (OG)

We're doomed. Doomed, I tell you.

No. We’re not. Europa it is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We've been chasing games recently, even a goal or 2 behind, we won't need to be chasing the game, just keeping control. Job is done, just need professional approach to the last 2 games.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Given the amount of time I was awake last night going through various goal difference permutations, i'm going to say no.

But a question. If we did fall victim to the most spectacular choke in football history, do you think Palace would mention it to us? Or would they maybe feel that would be a bit classless and below them and just let it slide?
What's nice is that even a "spectacular choke" would still have us deliver our 2nd successive league position that's higher than anything Palace have ever achieved in their history.

I'm sure they would crow but our failure is the only joy they have, so let them have their hollow win as they cry that their best ever player has just left to go to Fenerbahce or wherever and they've never achieved the same level of a choking Brighton team.

If we choke... Which we won't

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
What's nice is that even a "spectacular choke" would still have us deliver our 2nd successive league position that's higher than anything Palace have ever achieved in their history.

I'm sure they would crow but our failure is the only joy they have, so let them have their hollow win as they cry that their best ever player has just left to go to Fenerbahce or wherever and they've never achieved the same level of a choking Brighton team.

If we choke... Which we won't
CPFC 1905 managed 3rd place in the 1st division back in 1991.

UEFA wouldn’t let them into Europe though.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Is the correct answer. Emery will obviously know that coming at us all guns blazing will leave space for us to exploit. He won't be that stupid.
Emery never plays like that but he will be looking to hit us on the break repeatedly and we have evidenced a certain vulnerability to being hit on the break recently. But not the number of times they’ll need to do it successfully to overhaul us!! I hope.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here