Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Offers] Improving posting standards on NSC - some suggestions

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was going to say the same. I'm trying to remember what happened, but there must have been another thread from around the same time in which an enormous, gold-plated flounce took place.
We have had two notable flounces in the last year. One poster has returned without any attempt to disguise their ID. Good. I think. Maybe we should have a poll? The other probably will return, once he's been knocked about a bit on the Chelsea forum :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
We have had two notable flounces in the last year. One poster has returned without any attempt to disguise their ID. Good. I think. Maybe we should have a poll? The other probably will return, once he's been knocked about a bit on the Chelsea forum :lolol:
Yup, we should of had a pole instead of looking for an escape goat. Still, no use crying over split milk

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
In light of the declining quality of posts on the forum, I’ve come up with some suggestions for @Bozza to consider.

1. Autocorrection of misspelt names. Does the forum have a function to change “Connelly” and “Encisco” into “Connolly” and “Enciso” automatically? Such as The Complete and Utter Shyster/Mike Dean phenomenon?

2. Those returning from forum suspensions not being able to create new threads until after, say, six months of regular posting with no reports or warnings about conduct?

3. Flounce threads moved immediately to Bear Pit - anyone found doing this given an immediate forum and IP ban?

4. Source tier lists being required for posting of rumours from Twitter, or caveat of anecdotal information clearly labelled at start of rumour/ITK posting. This is extremely common on most club’s forums. Reposting of identical Twitter stories results in a short thread ban, to allow the user time to read the thread and catch up.

5. The requirement, per other forums, to declare which team users support upon signing up. All being welcome, but it will prevent obvious poseur trolls joining and starting immediate new negative threads in an attempt to get a rise from genuine users

I have a few other ideas to improve the quality of the forum, but these are ones which could/should be looked at first and foremost.
Well f**k me senseless, I love NSC for what it is.

Who wants an over sanitised governed Internet forum? The things that make Internet forums interesting is all the sorts of nutters you get amongst a majority of normal people.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Almost everyone is serious, but many of us do like a bit of low comedy. It's usually fairly obvious. For example, any post of mine with 'should of' in it will be facetious. We seem to have moved away from the sort of red-faced confrontation perpetrated by the likes of several noisy and now banned people with (frankly) underlying mental health issues (depression mostly). Now, being filleted and defenestrated by wit is generally fun, and I personally don't mind being thrown through a metaphorical window from time to time. That said, it can be easy to miss-read the room. I have done it many times. My weakness* is mistaking deadpan grumpiness for confrontation. Fortunately one of my good pals posts extreme grumpy messages on here, so I'm getting better at judging. I think that NSC is great fun, and is also becoming extremely informative about all things BHA. Many posters have a brilliant sense of the weft of the club, and I find that to be reassuring. After all we have been through. :thumbsup:

*OK ,one of many
Spot on. The Bear Pit, plus the banning of a very small number you-know-whats has been instrumental 👍

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I was going to say the same. I'm trying to remember what happened, but there must have been another thread from around the same time in which an enormous, gold-plated flounce took place.
Having waded through that old "Lets all meet for a curry" thread yesterday (slow work day), my rather vague memory is telling me that someone started royally taking the piss about the mildly flirty nature of some of the replies directed at Lady Gull, which she seemed to encourage with lots of "huns" being thrown about, and lots of xxx's at each other. This must've been on another thread I guess. It was all rather cringy.

Reading through it, I'm just genuinely relieved I didn't get involved.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Having waded through that old "Lets all meet for a curry" thread yesterday (slow work day), my rather vague memory is telling me that someone started royally taking the piss about the mildly flirty nature of some of the replies directed at Lady Gull, which she seemed to encourage with lots of "huns" being thrown about, and lots of xxx's at each other. This must've been on another thread I guess. It was all rather cringy.

I also re-read it and the use of the English language nearly made my eyes bleed. I'm going to bathe them in a good novel for a while.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I was a Mod a few years back and there were some posters dropping racial epithets like they were going out of fashion (plus with one poster actual holocaust denial) with the front page half full of, what I assume, with teenagers suggesting songs that never got sung last actual matches.

Things can always be improved but with the Bear Pit removing Culture Warriors to the sideline I think NSC is ok as it is.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I dont really see the need for a change in rules as such. The odd mispelt name is really nothing to get worked up about in the great scheme of things.

Its possible to sanitise something to the point that it becomes bland and pointless, we are all capable of deciding whether we want to read a thread or not. The MODS do a pretty good job of keeping things reasonable and the few complete numpties are soon found out

We are also all capable of seeing shit stirring threads and reposted tweets for what they are,

I think one of the many reasons NSC is such a good forum is that other clubs fans are allowed to post, that very few subjects and opinions are not allowed (within reason)

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Holy shit, that thread was over 10 years ago!

Seems like yesterday!

What happened to the rival forum that was set up? ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I believe the thread (or one of them) that brought on the flounce was this:

Newbies (that is, anyone who joined after 2014, and yes, the clique very much consider you a newbie) may want to read both in conjunction.

I'm bored so I'm about to.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

Newbies (that is, anyone who joined after 2014, and yes, the clique very much consider you a newbie) may want to read both in conjunction.

That's the thread I was trying to remember - many thanks for finding that. Some useless reading awaits.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Holy shit, that thread was over 10 years ago!

Seems like yesterday!

What happened to the rival forum that was set up? ???
Seagulls Chat isn't quite what I remember it being...

(Click at your peril - possibly dodgy/NSFW)

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Nazi like auto correction should only be applied to one word. Obtaining a new player has nothing to do with vocal talents - signing/singing!

And how about a ban for the response " Have you tried turning it on and off again?"
Are the Nazis particularly fabled for their spelling? I thought they were more into Lebensraum and genocide.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

That thread is quite something. I don't even know where to begin in picking it apart.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I remember being accused of being part of the 'Harvey's Clique' (from circa 2000), like we were some sort of gang of villains just because we mocked the racist nobbers (using low comedy in the main, albeit I admit to not being beneath the occasional volley of abuse in much the same way that the sky is not beneath the sea) and other cockwombles.

f*** me. I didn't even meet @Man of Harveys till at least 2001. I could still walk reasonably well and play football back then.

So, anyone who doesn't have something fundamentally wrong with their musculoskeletal infrastructure today is a newby as far as I'm concerned.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That thread is quite something. I don't even know where to begin in picking it apart.
I'll only say that, all these years on, I still get annoyed by people who write something they think is funny and stick a "LOL" on the end...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here