[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
They need to be processed, and there’s no indication they are all men/boys.
War isn’t the only motivation for fleeing a country. The naysayers will say economy is, but as rightly pointed out, it costs money to cross the Channel.
Each case should be judged on merit, and the Home Office isn’t processing the cases quickly enough. Some Albanians have been deported this year.
The fact is the Tories don't want to find a solution. They're in the shit on the economy and culture wars is their only hope to try and drum up support.

The Tories need to feel make voters feel better about their circumstances, without providing any solutions to improving their lives? Solution, mistreat other people, who have no say and are in peril, the strategy is to demonstrate to voters that someone sits below them in the pecking order. That's what they've been about since 2015...

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the Albanian migrants have dramatically increased numbers this year, from 800 last year, 12k so far this year. of the 12k, 10k are men according to the border force commander. looks like they are saturating the system, they cant process and send back as fast as they arrive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They need to be processed, and there’s no indication they are all men/boys.
War isn’t the only motivation for fleeing a country. The naysayers will say economy is, but as rightly pointed out, it costs money to cross the Channel.
Each case should be judged on merit, and the Home Office isn’t processing the cases quickly enough. Some Albanians have been deported this year.
My brother works finding temporary accommodation for asylum seekers. The young males mostly vanish the day after they are housed. There is no system, let alone a failed system.

I agree that every case should be dealt with on merit, but the conservatives have never been prepared to spend the money necessary to do the processing. Without any sort of 'detention' it would seem obvious that if you can get across the channel there is a strong chance you will be able to slip into the black enconomy.

We have not invested any money into this, and by leaving the EU we have curdled the relationship with the French and others necessary to manage the whole piece.

The Tories weaponized immigration, initially legal immigration. Everyone knows we need legal immigrants to run vast swathes of society, from medicine and social care through to fruit picking. The consequences of limits on legal immigration are manifest, and the rationing of and delays in delivery of health care is just one example. Weaponizing legal immigration in order to defame Tony Blair started all this crap, allowing the Brexitters, made quiet after Blair got in, to rise again. And rather that 'keeping them out', Brexit has played a major role in creating the current mess (in other words, 'letting them in', albeit not doctors but drug dealers).

Meanwhile the recent massive increase in illegal immigration has made all the nonsense over legal immigration look like the nasty load of old bollocks it always was. Illegal immigration on the scale we have now is new, staggering and nothing whatsoever to do with the lies and nonsense that triggered the 'attitude' the UK has had to immigration, that the Tories have been successfully exploiting for 15 years.

Only the other day, the rat Sunak claimed that if Starmer was in power he would 'get rig' of immigration controls. What a disingenuous little fucker. What a dirty rotter. What a liar.

If I were someone fleeing oppression, or thinking about making some money from trafficking, I would see the channel border as a completely porous 'barrier' at the far end of Europe, beyond which an incompetent government and general national foolishness would allow me to start again (or make some money). Bravo, tories. Bravo.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
the Albanian have dramatically increased numbers this year, from 800 last year, 12k so far this year. of the 12k, 10k are men according to the border force commander. looks like they are saturating the system, they cant process and send back as fast as they arrive.
15%. Not enough to saturate a sheet of tissue paper. What about the other 85%? Blaming Albanian criminals for the current crisis is yet more weaponizing of 'immigration' by the tory rats. See my post above.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Given a prolific Chinese human trafficker is linked to all the major players in the Tory party of the last few years maybe they need to clean their own house before blaming others ?

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Do you have sources for these figures?

And war is not the only reason people seek asylum.

86% of Albanian refugees are granted asylum. The vast majority of which are trafficked women and girls. Young, single and in desperate need of rescuing .

I posted my source a few pages back.

MPs previously heard that about 12,000 Albanians have arrived in the UK after crossing the Channel so far this year, of whom 10,000 were single, adult men. This compares with 50 in 2020.

Jenrick said: “Albania is quite clearly a safe country and those individuals have crossed through multiple other safe countries before arriving in the United Kingdom.

“Some reports suggest that as much as 1% or even 2% of the adult male population of Albania either have attempted to leave the country in this manner or are contemplating doing so. So this is a serious situation that we need to grip.”

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
My brother works finding temporary accommodation for asylum seekers. The young males mostly vanish the day after they are housed. There is no system, let alone a failed system.
so that means they aren't claiming asylum ??? cant complete a claim if you're not in the system.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

MPs previously heard that about 12,000 Albanians have arrived in the UK after crossing the Channel so far this year, of whom 10,000 were single, adult men. This compares with 50 in 2020.

Jenrick said: “Albania is quite clearly a safe country and those individuals have crossed through multiple other safe countries before arriving in the United Kingdom.

“Some reports suggest that as much as 1% or even 2% of the adult male population of Albania either have attempted to leave the country in this manner or are contemplating doing so. So this is a serious situation that we need to grip.”
That is a problem. Or is it?

These are government released figures. And pretty flimsy they are too. Even the minister seems unwilling to commit to them. And I don’t trust this government. They are liars.

Bespoke route seems sensible but the Tory’s aren’t looking for solutions. They are happy for thousands to come across and make out they are all criminals so they can demonise them.

It wins them votes from the thickos that voted for Brexit.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Some reports suggest that as much as 1% or even 2% of the adult male population of Albania either have attempted to leave the country in this manner or are contemplating doing so. So this is a serious situation that we need to grip.”
1, or even 2? Heck Robert, don't stop there, why not 3 or 5%. The drip drip drip of the right blaming immigration for all our country's woes - How low will the nasties go to cling on to power?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
15%. Not enough to saturate a sheet of tissue paper. What about the other 85%? Blaming Albanian criminals for the current crisis is yet more weaponizing of 'immigration' by the tory rats. See my post above.
15% of what? if the total number i didnt see one. previous year was 48k claims, so 12k more seems quite a lot more to absorb. all the numbers seem to be a lot higher for the first half of the year, with further increase rate since June.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Oh, as an addendum Suella Braverman used to work as a defence solicitor in asylum claims, so I read yester
so that means they aren't claiming asylum ??? cant complete a claim if you're not in the system.
They can't get benefits or housing either.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
15% of what? if the total number i didnt see one. previous year was 48k claims, so 15k more seems quite a lot more to absorb. all the numbers seem to be a lot higher for the first half of the year, with further increase rate since June.
My point is that the tories are focusing on Albanian criminal gangs as if this is the sole reason for the 'crisis'. It isn't.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Given a prolific Chinese human trafficker is linked to all the major players in the Tory party of the last few years maybe they need to clean their own house before blaming others ?

UK press keeping away from this story right now...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
15% of what? if the total number i didnt see one. previous year was 48k claims, so 15k more seems quite a lot more to absorb. all the numbers seem to be a lot higher for the first half of the year, with further increase rate since June.
Percentage means out of a hundred, not 48,000 so it's 7,200. The 15% that are rejected are deported not absorbed.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

What's your solution?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Percentage means out of a hundred, not 48,000 so it's 7,200. The 15% that are rejected are deported not absorbed.
I'm not sure why he's nit-picking over this. The nitpicking is part of the problem, not the solution.

And incidentally there will not be a solution all the while this continues to be weaponized by the right.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some people never learn. The Tory’s spun all the same bullshit when they wanted us to vote leave. They are doing it now to make us vote for them in the next GE. Because they are the only ones capable of stopping the “invasion”. Even through they’ve been in charge of it for almost 13 years.

Demonise immigrants and foreigners. Get a brown lady to front the hate campaign because she couldn’t possibly be racist, could she?

There’ll be all sorts coming along. If we experience power cuts this winter, there’ll be headlines like;

“lights left burning all night in immigration centres as Brits are shrouded in darkness. THIS MADNESS MUST STOP”

“It would have been worse under Corbyn”

“Immigrants dine on Turkey roasts while BRITS STARVE”

“Albanians stealing energy funds from BRITISH CHILDREN”

“Albanians receive free haircuts. WHILE ARMY VETS ARE ON THE STREETS THIS CHRISTMAS”

And unfortunately, judging by some of the posts on this thread, a fair few are falling for it. Again.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports