[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not sure why he's nit-picking over this. The nitpicking is part of the problem, not the solution.

And incidentally there will not be a solution all the while this continues to be weaponized by the right.
It's what they do - Establish the fact in the minions minds that immigration is the root cause of any problems and then debate facts and figures or turn round and ask what the left's answer is? We've seen already in this thread people alluding to the 'left' pretending that immigration isn't 'A' problem. It's very difficult to try and get people to row back from their opinion that immigration is 'THE' problem and must be stopped as an absolute priority.

As an aside I had to listen to Daily Mail radio (Jeremy Vine) the other day, hearing caller after caller using shameful language to describe those people wanting help from our country, it makes my heart sink, one even describing themselves as a 'compassionate tory', there really is no such thing.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
85% of asylum claims are accepted (Refugee Council) so are genuine. 15% are rejected.
i wasnt refering to the success rate but the totals reported. in front of the HoC committee, the commander for border force claims 12k Albanians this year, mostly men. the article says 86% of successfull claims are women (of Albanian claimants). it doesn't account the number of unmade claims.

this is hardly nitpicking, highlighting what the man in charge is saying. some posters are trying to say there's no particular problem with Albanians. the commander in charge has a different view.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Some people never learn. The Tory’s spun all the same bullshit when they wanted us to vote leave. They are doing it now to make us vote for them in the next GE. Because they are the only ones capable of stopping the “invasion”. Even through they’ve been in charge of it for almost 13 years.

Demonise immigrants and foreigners. Get a brown lady to front the hate campaign because she couldn’t possibly be racist, could she?

There’ll be all sorts coming along. If we experience power cuts this winter, there’ll be headlines like “lights left burning all night in immigration centres as Brits are shrouded in darkness. THIS MADNESS MUST STOP”

And unfortunately, judging by some of the posts on this thread, a fair few are falling for it. Again.
And get those of colour to do the heavy lifting for them in a desperate attempt to make themselves look well intended progressive party.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The government has conceded that the asylum processing centre at Manston in Kent is not operating legally, after the immigration minister said legal action had begun on behalf of some of those held there.

The centre is supposed to hold a maximum of 1,600 people, and each for just 24 hours while initial checks are made. However, up to 4,000 have been at the centre, some staying in terrible conditions for weeks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My point is that the tories are focusing on Albanian criminal gangs as if this is the sole reason for the 'crisis'. It isn't.
it seems it is a trigger though.
from testimony of Commander Dan O'Mahoney, supporting your own anecdotal information on absconding.
"A lot of the Albanian migrants come into the UK in small boats because it is a very successful way of getting here. Some of them, of course, need our help and make legitimate asylum claims, but the asylum grant rate for single Albanian men is actually quite low—I think it is about 12%. Typically, they may choose not to claim asylum, as Dan was just explaining, or they may claim asylum, but a lot of them are not actually interested in seeing their asylum claim through. They just want to get through it as far as they can. We typically put them in a hotel for a couple of days, and then they will disappear. They work illegally in the UK for maybe six months or a year, they send the money home, and then they go back to Albania."
page 10 if interested. https://committees.parliament.uk/oralevidence/11390/pdf/

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
These are indeed dark times, at nearly 60 a lot of my contemporaries and older people are rightly concerned for what kind of a society our grandchildren will inherit, even at times bemoaning, the figures being quoted, 40,000 immigrants arriving illegally this calendar year.
A long time family friend and respected member of the Worthing business world but now in his mid 80s likened it to a ‘Trojan Horse’ the other day, but playing Devils advocate I did out point out that this country has always had a reputation of welcoming people from all over the globe, the Jews thrown out by the Tsar in the early 1900’s right through the 20th century, with West Indian, African and Asian people all wanting to be part of British society.
This reputation is to the credit of our country and continues to this day, unfortunately as I tried to allude to on another thread, the latest influx arrive at currently a very different country.
Whether some people like it or not, we have an obligation to these people, we live in a Christian country and it’s the Christian thing to do, but looking at the bigger picture, they arrive in a country that appears it’s forgotten how to care.
Looking at the figures quoted by various charities we now have more children, regardless of race colour or creed, living in poverty, in the 21st century Ffs?
Pre COVID this country had a serious issue with suicide, post COVID it’s an epidemic, I speak from experience, in 35 years of funeral directing I have never known more local suicides in the last 2 years, than any other time in my career, and that’s just in West Sussex, replicate that around the country?, but it’s either swept under the carpet or completely ignored.
When did this country stop caring? The dawn of social media, or even before that in the Thatcherite ‘Greed is good’ years?
And can either Sunak or Starmer actually turn things round or are we heading to hell in a handcart?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
These are indeed dark times, at nearly 60 a lot of my contemporaries and older people are rightly concerned for what kind of a society our grandchildren will inherit, even at times bemoaning, the figures being quoted, 40,000 immigrants arriving illegally this calendar year.
A long time family friend and respected member of the Worthing business world but now in his mid 80s likened it to a ‘Trojan Horse’ the other day, but playing Devils advocate I did out point out that this country has always had a reputation of welcoming people from all over the globe, the Jews thrown out by the Tsar in the early 1900’s right through the 20th century, with West Indian, African and Asian people all wanting to be part of British society.
This reputation is to the credit of our country and continues to this day, unfortunately as I tried to allude to on another thread, the latest influx arrive at currently a very different country.
Whether some people like it or not, we have an obligation to these people, we live in a Christian country and it’s the Christian thing to do, but looking at the bigger picture, they arrive in a country that appears it’s forgotten how to care.
Looking at the figures quoted by various charities we now have more children, regardless of race colour or creed, living in poverty, in the 21st century Ffs?
Pre COVID this country had a serious issue with suicide, post COVID it’s an epidemic, I speak from experience, in 35 years of funeral directing I have never known more local suicides in the last 2 years, than any other time in my career, and that’s just in West Sussex, replicate that around the country?, but it’s either swept under the carpet or completely ignored.
When did this country stop caring? The dawn of social media, or even before that in the Thatcherite ‘Greed is good’ years?
And can either Sunak or Starmer actually turn things round or are we heading to hell in a handcart?
Good post but point of fact, there are zero illegal crossings. Making your way to a different country is not illegal. Crossing the channel in a dinghy is not illegal.
The crime is being committed by the people traffickers not the refugees.
It’s important not to criminalise innocent people.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
well aware how percentages work (missed typed 15k). @Harry Wilson's tackle hasn't identified what the 15% refers to.
I saw it the other day or heard it. On the BBC. I find it odd that it is this that you have become fixated on this morning. What would you prefer? 0%? 90%.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We are all mongrels. You only go back to the 1900s.
I have an account on Ancestry which I have managed to go back to 1532 on one side but everyone of the 354 people in my tree are based in Sussex. You could say I’m inbred.
But I had my DNA tested and have 15% Norwegian, 5% Danish and 12% Germanic in my line.
Angles, Saxons Romans, Vikings French German etc all in the mix in Britain.
The King’s father came here as a refugee, a prince of Greece and Denmark.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
85% of asylum claims are accepted (Refugee Council) so are genuine. 15% are rejected.
Thanks. That's quite a surprise. The tory trope is that most asylum seekers are 'illegal'. Fancy that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nice post. Didn't know about the suicides. Yes, I would agree that these are difficult times.

I deplore the way this is being exploited by the Tories, using illegal immigrants as the trope, to garner electoral support for themselves, stoking the fear and anxiety and identifying a scapegoat. It is, frankly, disgusting.

Meanwhile....we need to focus on what's important, which at the moment for many, is finding ways to survive the financial pressures we are under.

:thumbsup:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Look!

Look over there!

At the invasion.

The invasion of FOREIGN' people.

Stop looking at us. Stop looking at the rich wankers running the country in our own interests, and making a total hash of it.

Hate them. Not us.

If you can't see what is going on here then you are too stupid to deserve better than what we are getting.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
These are indeed dark times, at nearly 60 a lot of my contemporaries and older people are rightly concerned for what kind of a society our grandchildren will inherit
I'm 37 and I can say most of my contemporaries, and I should imagine people younger than that, are much more concerned about the prospects of never owning their own home because they're paying the mortgage of some landlord, of not having beneficial social and economic ties to our closest neighbours enjoyed by the older generations and of the slow death of our planet.

Some people making a trip across the channel in a dinghy is pretty far down the bloody list.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Tory’s are failing us on ALL levels. They are corrupt. They are tax avoiders, they are liars, thieves and profiteers. They steal from us to provide for themselves and their chums.
They watch us freeze and starve so they can be well fed.
And that is why they are now trying to divert your attentions away from themselves and onto refugees.
Don’t fall for it. Don’t be their little bitch. Resist. Do not accept their lies.
We cannot afford to fall for their lies again.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Here is a really radical suggestion,

Why don't we open up methods for Asylum seekers to apply for asylum whilst still abroad, process those applications within reasonable timescales and return the results to them quickly allowing them to either come to Britain or not as per the result of their claim :shrug:

Stops the boats, the people traffickers, the costs of hotels to keep people in, keeping people in inhumane conditions, people going 'missing' when waiting months and months to be processed etc, etc, etc, which have apparently all become significant issues in the last 12 years.

Except it isn't radical in any way, shape or form, is it ? It's exactly what we have done for decades until this Government decided to weaponise it, stop any ways of applying for asylum, forced people into boats and people trafficking gangs and create a complete shitshow in order to get stupid people to vote for them and, all the while it works, it will continue.

So judging from some of the posts on this thread it isn't going to stop any time soon :facepalm:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Here is a really radical suggestion,

Why don't we open up methods for Asylum seekers to apply for asylum whilst still abroad, process those applications within reasonable timescales and return the results to them quickly allowing them to either come to Britain or not as per the result of their claim :shrug:

Stops the boats, the people traffickers, the costs of hotels to keep people in, keeping people in inhumane conditions, people going 'missing' when waiting months and months to be processed etc etc etc which have apparently all become significant issues in the last 12 years ?

Except it isn't radical in any way, shape or form, is it ? It's exactly what we have done for decades until this Government decided to weaponise it, stop any ways of applying for asylum, forced people into boats and people trafficking gangs and create a complete shitshow in order to get stupid people to vote for them and, all the while it works, it will continue. So judging from this thread it isn't going to stop any time soon :facepalm:
…and of course the ones that get turned down will just take it on the chin……hmm…i have a feeling they wouldnt and just pop over anyway and not bother with the ’process’ ….just a view i could be right i could be wrong

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports