Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Immigration detention centres

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not forgetting the Home Office is dragging its feet actually processing the claims, so over crowding is getting worse and worse.
I’ll try to find the article I read about the profits being made by a chain of hotels, who are housing migrants.
Apologies, it isn't a chain of hotels but this thread still makes for interesting reading.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I can't claim to know the details... and it's only an article in the Spectator but this does seem pretty exceptional, if true.

"The number of migrants crossing the Channel is growing exponentially. In 2020, 8,404 people made the journey. In 2021, 28,526. This year, we are at 39,430 and counting. On Saturday alone, 1,000 migrants in two dozen boats crossed the Channel."

It's hardly surprising that facilities are stretched.
:lolol:

at least commit to it!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There is a difference between people genuinely seeking asylum for very real reasons, and people dreaming of the “promised land” where the streets are paved with gold, the girls are pretty with long blonde hair, free healthcare, free money from the government.

All the things they won’t receive (except maybe the girls) in France, Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy or Tunisia. (https://www.researchgate.net/figure...gerians-interviewed-in-Britain_fig3_242423588) depending on the route taken.

The first one, those genuinely fleeing for their lives, are what we have the asylum system for.

The second one, the “British dream”, is why the right get frustrated. The left deny anything is a problem, the right think everything is a problem, the centrists see it exactly as it is. A flawed system where everyone loses.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
seems its the later. more border checks on ferry routes means more difficult to enter that way, so moved to boats. total is moving up but the total by boat moving faster. leads to higher numbers caught, easier to scoop up 10, 15, 20 people at a time, where individuals under lorries got through before. then an additional influx of Albanian's across Europe.
So, to my point earlier in the thread it’s not really “controlling our borders” so much as giving ourselves a logistical nightmare

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There is a difference between people genuinely seeking asylum for very real reasons, and people dreaming of the “promised land” where the streets are paved with gold, the girls are pretty with long blonde hair, free healthcare, free money from the government.

All the things they won’t receive (except maybe the girls) in France, Spain, Morocco, Portugal, Belgium, Netherlands, Italy or Tunisia. (https://www.researchgate.net/figure...gerians-interviewed-in-Britain_fig3_242423588) depending on the route taken.

The first one, those genuinely fleeing for their lives, are what we have the asylum system for.

The second one, the “British dream”, is why the right get frustrated. The left deny anything is a problem, the right think everything is a problem, the centrists see it exactly as it is. A flawed system where everyone loses.
Well apart from that they see themselves as centrists, which isn't a possibility.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I think the middle ground is right but I haven't seen any left views where there is denial of a problem. If anything, the left are saying it is taking far too long to approve asylum claims. Manston is meant to be for 24 hours holding only, and children are going missing. It is a complete horror.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
That is the way it has always been. No country on the planet will accept asylum claims outside of their own territory.
It hasn't always been like that. The first link goes back 450 years, including Portugese refugees who brought fish and chips to Britain.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
That is the way it has always been. No country on the planet will accept asylum claims outside of their own territory.
And if that is the case, we won't allow anybody on British Soil to do it.

I have to admit I am not an expert on Asylum Seeking, never having had to do it myself, but we seem to be doing our best to make it not difficult, but impossible.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You wont get granted refugee status for economic betterment. Unless you lie and cheat to try and put a compelling case across.
You do often get granted refugee status however if the economic situation in the country (combined with the fact that Albania is run by criminal gangs) puts you in severe risk of danger - for women, mainly trafficking and for men you're either become a part of the drugconomy or you'll be viewed as a burden by those who have lots of (violent) power.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Fundamentally it is not sustainable to have a system which enables everyone to choose which country they want to live in because naturally the majority will gravitate to the counties that will benefit them the most. The real answer is to improve the conditions in counties that people are leaving. This is not easy as this will often involve political change. In short, I don't think there is a solution here.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Apologies, it isn't a chain of hotels but this thread still makes for interesting reading.

More on subcontractors making profits from housing migrants, from the Immigration inspector.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

The number of people in England and Wales who were born outside the UK has increased by 2.5 million since 2011, latest census data shows.

On census day, 21 March 2021, the combined population of England and Wales was 59,597,542 - up from 56,075,912 in March 2011.
"Natural" population increase - the number of deaths subtracted from the number of babies born - accounted for 42.5% of the rise.
The other 57.5% was due to positive net migration - the difference between the numbers who immigrated into and emigrated out of England and Wales, amounting to two million people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just read in last year 12k Albanian men (10k of which were young and single ) against 50 last year. Surely most of these are returned Isn't Albania a peaceful country

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here