Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
This is just nonsense.

What do European countries do that we don’t when you say they are more humane and caring than we are?
They just don’t treat people like Animals. And I posted an article yesterday with statistics that we show we have one of the (very) lowest levels of asylum seekers in Europe. Theresa May initiated the “hostile environment, and every Home Secretary since has made it more hostile.

how are people supposed to seek asylum if they can’t do it anywhere but on British Soil?

edit: and even if there were a better way, the people who organise the boats and so on would still lie to them and tell them there was no other way. They are evil.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I can't claim to know the details... and it's only an article in the Spectator but this does seem pretty exceptional, if true.

"The number of migrants crossing the Channel is growing exponentially. In 2020, 8,404 people made the journey. In 2021, 28,526. This year, we are at 39,430 and counting. On Saturday alone, 1,000 migrants in two dozen boats crossed the Channel."

It's hardly surprising that facilities are stretched.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Anyone that travels through water that we purposely infest with shit from our sewers deserves asylum to be fair.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The lack of understanding on the parts of some on this thread of how the asylum & immigration process is supposed to work is staggering, given their strongly held views on it.
To be fair, checking things the other day to answer something on here I found it quite difficult to find anything authoritative. People believe the politicians’ rhetoric and what they read in the papers……. And as a Guardian Reader, I wouldn’t take as gospel everything I read there.

I’ve never eaten Tofu, though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I can't claim to know the details... and it's only an article in the Spectator but this does seem pretty exceptional, if true.

"The number of migrants crossing the Channel is growing exponentially. In 2020, 8,404 people made the journey. In 2021, 28,526. This year, we are at 39,430 and counting. On Saturday alone, 1,000 migrants in two dozen boats crossed the Channel."

Is that the number in small boats or the total number? Are people resorting to the boats because other routes have been tightened up?

I don’t know, but that quote isn’t clear

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Not forgetting the Home Office is dragging its feet actually processing the claims, so over crowding is getting worse and worse.
I’ll try to find the article I read about the profits being made by a chain of hotels, who are housing migrants.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I should stop reading things I don't understand... but this seems out of tilt with the narrative...

"This is why Britain grants 76 per cent of asylum claims, compared to the EU average of 34 per cent. If you’re Albanian, your chance of getting in is 52 per cent, against just 8 per cent in France."

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
I wonder which reason this chap had to flee Albania . Still as long as he's safe , that's something we can all be pleased about

A teenage girl sobbed in court as the sexual predator who dragged her into a flowerbed and raped her at a busy shopping centre was jailed for 10 and a half years.
The court heard how the young girl had been targeted by Albanian national Rufat Kasamaj, 36, at around 10.30pm on September 4, 2021.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

A total of 48,540 asylum applications last year in the UK... or a 100 000 less than in Germany, more than 50 000 less than in France...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Well if you want to know the details, this is a very good place to start. A few months old and unsurprisingly the situation has got worse, but still relevant

There's a few on here who could do with watching this if they don't want to appear foolish and ignorant of the facts on this thread ???

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A teenage girl sobbed in court as the sexual predator who dragged her into a flowerbed and raped her at a busy shopping centre was jailed for 10 and a half years.
The court heard how the young girl had been targeted by Albanian national Rufat Kasamaj, 36, at around 10.30pm on September 4, 2021.
Why have you quoted me here? My quote was nothing to do with a rapist. As far as I know. And not from this thread either.

I’d ask for an apology if I thought you were decent enough to give one.

Poor show. Not cool.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
I listened... and am confused by some of his facts... or perhaps again I don't really understand.

He claims at 02:34 that the majority arriving in small boats are coming from Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria.

This BBC article says Albania, Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

edit: the article also says this so maybe he is just a bit out of date?
"Last year Iranians were the biggest group, accounting for 30% of all small boat arrivals. Another 21% were Iraqis, 11% Eritreans and 9% Syrians."

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Which is horrible but whats your point really? That all Albanians, or all immigrants, should be banned due to this and the borders closed?

Should the world close its borders for UK citizens because Gary Glitter went abroad to f*** children? Should the world make it impossible for you to leave your island because your genocidial empire spent a good few hundred years raping, pillaging and murdering millions of people all over the world? Or should everyone be judged individually rather than on the basis of where they're from?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I listened... and am confused by some of his facts... or perhaps again I don't really understand.

He claims at 02:34 that the majority arriving in small boats are coming from Iran, Iraq, Sudan and Syria.

His speech was based on the figures 11 months ago, (I did say a few months old, but still relevant) (y)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is that the number in small boats or the total number? Are people resorting to the boats because other routes have been tightened up?

I don’t know, but that quote isn’t clear
seems its the later. more border checks on ferry routes means more difficult to enter that way, so moved to boats. total is moving up but the total by boat moving faster. leads to higher numbers caught, easier to scoop up 10, 15, 20 people at a time, where individuals under lorries got through before. then an additional influx of Albanian's across Europe.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

edit: the article also says this so maybe he is just a bit out of date?
"Last year Iranians were the biggest group, accounting for 30% of all small boat arrivals. Another 21% were Iraqis, 11% Eritreans and 9% Syrians."
The video is from October last year and the article from yesterday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is a very good thread about an Albanian asylum seeker who has finally been granted asylum after 6 years. The author works in law and immigration.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
His speech was based on the figures 11 months ago, (I did say a few months old, but still relevant) (y)

More up to date percentage from today's Times;

Ministers believe that the plan could significantly reduce the “pull” factors attracting Albanians. This year, more than 10,000 of the 40,000 migrants who have crossed the Channel have been single Albanian men.
Home Office officials said that up to 2 per cent of Albania’s male population aged 20 to 40 had travelled to the UK by small boat this year.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports