I'm staggered at some of the retarded comments from BHA fans recently

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Trouble is we have a lot of fans who have a perception we should win every week and we won't, simple as that.

I expect next season and this may come as a shock to some we may well not sell all season tickets as fickle fans will give up as their expectation is not being met.

southwickseagull

Mar 4, 2004
southwick
Travelling back from Portman Rd yesterday and listening to many supporters walking back through the marina I could not believe what I was hearing.

Poyet doesn't know what he's doing, the squad is shit, we're going down etc etc. If people thought that we were on our way to a promotion season then they are either on crack or f***ing brain dead.

Why on earth do you think Poyet has signed a five year contract (yes he may leave but clearly the intent and committment is there)?

Why are we pumping money into an academy?

For the love of Christ we have been playing with no infrastrcture at the club for the best part of 20 years. We have a competitive budget but compared to the likes of Southampton and Leicester and West Ham its tiny.

It's perfectly adequate to take us through the next phase of the plan - which is to survive in this league and compete. Regardless of the last four games we are on the way to doing that - I felt before a ball was kicked that between 9th and 15th was probably a decent solid start.

The next phase is to put together a squad that will compete at the top six - and that needs to be done over a two-three year period. As the academy starts to flourish I guess the club are then looking to start unearthing, nuturing talent to help grow the club.

Yesterday evening some absolutel morons seem to think that if we are not promoted this season the whole thing is a f***ing disaster - I honestly don't know what to say to them........

Kevin Nolan is on 70k per week. Ipswich had 9 players yesterday who have played at least 30 games each in the premiership. Leicester City spent over £20million in their attempts to get out of the Championship this season.

Middlesbrough, until their relegation, spent 7 successive seasons in the Premiership. Derby County (I have to visit Derby for work and read their local rag last week) are going to provide £10million for the manager to spend in January if they are still in the mix to get back to the Premier League.

The whole objective I think Bloom, Gus and the club have are to sort our club out first., Not throw money around to have one potentially epic attempt to get up in the first season. It's a plan that will be realised over a number of seasons to give BHA what it has lacked for almost three decades:

Infrastructure

Sound basis financially

An effective academy and scouting network

A stadium that will encourage supporters (both hard core and fairweather) to want to experience the BHA match day event on a regular basis.

When those blocks are in place I will then turn an eye to a East Anglia, the North West, East London and think about how we are going to compete with those clubs.

For now I'm frankly loving every minute (bar Palace) of this season. We can improve and the great thing is we have a board and a manager who will not accept simply being happy with where we are.

But for those who are getting frustrated and depressed about the current run, I feel so sorry for you. I've waited f***ing years to get to this place and safe in the knowledge that this season is only the f***ing START makes every week a pleasure for me.
Get off of here! You're on the wrong board, people just dont talk sense here!

Well said though.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Trouble is we have a lot of fans who have a perception we should win every week and we won't, simple as that.

I expect next season and this may come as a shock to some we may well not sell all season tickets as fickle fans will give up as their expectation is not being met.

Exactly. It only takes a couple of defeats for some to start Naming players who are apparantly 'not good enough'. What sort of support is that?
3 weeks ago they were singing, we're f***ing brilliant.

alan partridge

Jul 7, 2003
Linton Travel Tavern
Travelling back from Portman Rd yesterday and listening to many supporters walking back through the marina I could not believe what I was hearing.

Poyet doesn't know what he's doing, the squad is shit, we're going down etc etc. If people thought that we were on our way to a promotion season then they are either on crack or f***ing brain dead.

Why on earth do you think Poyet has signed a five year contract (yes he may leave but clearly the intent and committment is there)?

For the love of Christ we have been playing with no infrastrcture at the club for the best part of 20 years. We have a competitive budget but compared to the likes of Southampton and Leicester and West Ham its tiny.

It's perfectly adequate to take us through the next phase of the plan - which is to survive in this league and compete. Regardless of the last four games we are on the way to doing that - I felt before a ball was kicked that between 9th and 15th was probably a decent solid start.

The next phase is to put together a squad that will compete at the top six - and that needs to be done over a two-three year period. As the academy starts to flourish I guess the club are then looking to start unearthing, nuturing talent to help grow the club.

Yesterday evening some absolutel morons seem to think that if we are not promoted this season the whole thing is a f***ing disaster - I honestly don't know what to say to them........

Kevin Nolan is on 70k per week. Ipswich had 9 players yesterday who have played at least 30 games each in the premiership. Leicester City spent over £20million in their attempts to get out of the Championship this season.

Middlesbrough, until their relegation, spent 7 successive seasons in the Premiership. Derby County (I have to visit Derby for work and read their local rag last week) are going to provide £10million for the manager to spend in January if they are still in the mix to get back to the Premier League.

The whole objective I think Bloom, Gus and the club have are to sort our club out first., Not throw money around to have one potentially epic attempt to get up in the first season. It's a plan that will be realised over a number of seasons to give BHA what it has lacked for almost three decades:

Infrastructure

Sound basis financially

A stadium that will encourage supporters (both hard core and fairweather) to want to experience the BHA match day event on a regular basis.

When those blocks are in place I will then turn an eye to a East Anglia, the North West, East London and think about how we are going to compete with those clubs.

For now I'm frankly loving every minute (bar Palace) of this season. We can improve and the great thing is we have a board and a manager who will not accept simply being happy with where we are.

But for those who are getting frustrated and depressed about the current run, I feel so sorry for you. I've waited f***ing years to get to this place and safe in the knowledge that this season is only the f***ing START makes every week a pleasure for me.

Superb post.

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)

Infrastructure

Sound basis financially

At last somebody talking sense. Fed up with the numerous he's not good enough, he needs to be dropped, no plan B etc threads. Was going to say these people have short memories but I think the buffoons posting this tripe have no memories of BHA as they must all be new plastics, can't believe a true fan with a memory would be whinging that we are 5th in the Championship.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
At last somebody talking sense. Fed up with the numerous he's not good enough, he needs to be dropped, no plan B etc threads. Was going to say these people have short memories but I think the buffoons posting this tripe have no memories of BHA as they must all be new plastics, can't believe a true fan with a memory would be whinging that we are 5th in the Championship.

Totally agree with this and the op. All perspective has gone completely out of the window. If we make the play-off's we will have had a superb season and punched above our weight, absolutely no doubt about it.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Exactly. It only takes a couple of defeats for some to start Naming players who are apparantly 'not good enough'. What sort of support is that?
3 weeks ago they were singing, we're f***ing brilliant.

Now we're tired & need a break, Too Much Too Young as Terry once said

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Superb words - when you think how far we've come, 6th in the Championship AFTER a bit of a blip is a major major achievement. Anything above mid table will do for me this season.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
Brilliant post Digweeds and totally agree. The people moaning obviously haven't stood in a puddle watching us struggle to beat Woking. Or maybe they have and they're just retarded.

Great post. People have short memories.

Exactly this, I was having much the same conversation last night with my son in law who prompty reminded me that I had forgotten what it was like to go on a really poor run and lose week in week out.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The boy Digweed talks sense. Too many people today expect instant satisfaction without working for it.

Two years ago this weekend the Albion were 21st in League one, having had TWO wins all season, and put out the following team of world beaters in front of 6,400 at Withdean: Kuipers; El-Abd, Elphick, Tunnicliffe, Wright; Bennett, Crofts, Dicker (Murray 81), A Davies (Thornhill 64); Forster, Dickinson.

Want to return to that?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The boy Digweed talks sense. Too many people today expect instant satisfaction without working for it.

Two years ago this weekend the Albion were 21st in League one, having had TWO wins all season, and put out the following team of world beaters in front of 6,400 at Withdean: Kuipers; El-Abd, Elphick, Tunnicliffe, Wright; Bennett, Crofts, Dicker (Murray 81), A Davies (Thornhill 64); Forster, Dickinson.

Want to return to that?

Two of that team are playing in the top flight, but other than that mostly dross.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Before august 2010, most of us would have been happy with a top half of the table finish. Gus was making a few signings of his own, had his first preseason, and after a couple of years struggling we were looking for a comfortable top half finish, maybe a late push for the play offs. Gus himself spoke of top 10 and top 6. At which point was ok to start expecting us to win the division at a walk? Because our expectations changed based on results and the table.

This year we went 9 games unbeaten, including victory over premier league opposition. We still had a couple of highly rated players to come back from injury and were playing our fourth choice, largely inexperienced centre back. We showed playing our game would work, we beat last season's play off contenders quite convincingly on their own ground, we showed desire and fight to come from behind. We had topped the table.

Why is it so wrong, in the face of that to raise our expectation for the last few games? Why can't we express disappointment in the performances in the last five given the performances in the first 9?

This 5 game winless streak, with the exception of liverpool perhaps, isn't because we aren't as good as the opposition. It's because we've stopped playing. It's because we are not pressuring opponents. The palace game in particular made it look as if the players don't want it.

If we play even just close to as well as we can, when we show the desire to win the ball and close down our opposition, isn't it perfectly reasonable to expect to get results?

No, failing to get promoted this season isn't a disaster.
Yes, the club is in a good place with the ground and the plans and the infrastructure.
Yes the future is rosy.
But that doesn't mean we can't be fecked off that our team aren't playing anywhere close to as well as they can (and when they do, it's not for the whole match), that we yet again give our opponents so much time on the ball and allow them to pick out their shots, that the great start we made both with results, performances and effort has evaporated.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes,Digweeds post summed up the situation perfectly.If people stop and think,to be 5th in the Championship at this stage is some achievement.
However,the disappointment stems from the unbelievable start we made to the season that no-one expected.The bar was raised as were hopes and dreams..........but dreams they remain.We should be happy to consolidate this season and for both the management and players to learn what is required in this league.That doesn't mean to say there isn't room for fans to criticise and put forward their own points of view;NSC would be very dull otherwise and of course there will be and calls for so and so to be dropped and plan B etc.Gus himself states that some of the players are not good enough,so let us not get too touchy about criticism.
A 'work in progress' is a phrase that is too often used, but is probably apt to describe our situation.As for me,I would be happy for us to finish in the top half and for Gus to have the tactics,money and players in place at the beginning of next season (or the one after) for us to launch a solid promotion challenge.............but only when we are ready.

boik

Wow! An outbreak of sanity - whatever next?

APART from losing to our deadly rivals, the only thing that has gone wrong is to start off too well. If the dropped points had been spread throughout the 10 games and we ended up where we are I think we all have been delighted (APART from Tuesday of course).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Football forums thrive on over reactions. People react to the manager saying that we're not good enough, and when they get home after a defeat they're often angry and had a drink or two.
Why is anyone surprised?

DT is right. I have just one thing to add ...

I would RATHER be watching the Albion build a sustainable team over a few years than wallow in whatever instant success can be bought by simply chucking money at a few star players who can get us instant promotion.

All that would do is confirm my worst fears that football has become nothing but an industry that rewards the rich and leaves the rest to struggle. I follow the game because it's better than that. Success should come to the clever guys, not just the rich guys.

And we are lucky enough to have clever guys on board our bus. Let's enjoy what they are doing - the tribulations as well as the victories.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Great post. People have short memories.

Ain't that the truth (or worse still: No memories at all - apart from promotion last season & a few decent results this season).

ps Great Post DT. Spot on. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports