Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm feeling quite cheated by the BBC.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
it says absolutely nothing. google 'NBC olympics coverage' and you'll see how well NBC's coverage is being received.

some articles here for a start... NBC | Media | The Guardian

I can't comment on what their output is like as I don't live in the US but the fact they've got more than 3 times the number of bodies working that then host broadcaster it does say an awful lot IMO especially when the beeb's output is not very good from the small bits I've seen.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
I can't comment on what their output is like as I don't live in the US but the fact they've got more than 3 times the number of bodies working that then host broadcaster it does say an awful lot IMO especially when the beeb's output is not very good from the small bits I've seen.

i do live in the US and i haven't seen any of it either quite simply because they really aren't showing anything live. you even need a cable/satellite subscription (which i no longer have) to access the live coverage on their website. anyway, the point i'm making is that quantity really is no guarantee of quality. you are, of course, entitled to your opinion but as an ex-pat i can honestly say it's been a joy watching the BBC's coverage via my UK VPN connection. honestly, without that, i would be paying close to zero attention to these games and i'm really, really glad i'm not missing out.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

NBC are showing TWENTY minutes of adverts, per hour. That sounds smashing.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I worked with NBC at the Sydney Olympics, and they had an absolute army of people there too. At least half of them seemed to be doing nothing whatsoever, and another decent number were there simply to keep the others constantly supplied with Starbucks and Ben and Jerrys (they bring their own catering department, as even in Australia, the food was abit foreign for them).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
According to PtI's Michael Wilbon, the hottest ticket in town is:-

The men's basketball!.

I have asked what the 100's of 1000's of cycling fans were doing on Saturday.

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
According to PtI's Michael Wilbon, the hottest ticket in town is:-

The men's basketball!.

I have asked what the 100's of 1000's of cycling fans were doing on Saturday.

1322530685563.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah about 5 mins into last nights show.

Good old Tony went down in my estimation when he doubted Wiggins but not Lance, post tour.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you have Freesat, Sky and I think Virgin you get the 24 dedicated channels.

Freeview owners are not so lucky. They only get what the BBC provide on BBC1 and BBC3 and also the scaled down red button version.

I don't know why this is.

Its all to do with bandwidth , Freeview is limited on the number of channels they can squeeze into each multiplex. At some time in the future there could be more channels on Freeview by adopting new broadcast technology (MIMO) and upgrading video compression standards to MPEG-H which will be a nice little earner for the box manufacturers.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Have just enquired with my boyfriend about getting a free sat box but am told we have to have a satellite dish for this (Unfortunatly the block of flats we are in doesn't allow them) so that's a no go.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The TV coverage from Peking appeared to be better than is being offered by the BBC, unless you pay for it. Although a Freesat dish and HD box from B&Q isn't bad value. They, the BBC seemed to use all the red button channels and 123&4. I seem to remember watching a lot more complete sailing races every day. There is one channel showing the sailing on the BBC site that only shows both races from a couple of the classes.
I mention Sailing because that is what interests me, it could equally be the Boxing or Beach Volleyball.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Have just enquired with my boyfriend about getting a free sat box but am told we have to have a satellite dish for this (Unfortunatly the block of flats we are in doesn't allow them) so that's a no go.

A sat box needs a satellite dish? Really?

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
To be honest I'm pretty pleased with what they've got. The online stuff is brilliant so far, and has some nice interactive features built in. Decent amount of info on the site about the sports, and seems all nicely linked together in my opinion. Whilst the stuff on Freeview may not be great, I think they're really trying to pitch the online side of stuff more heavily. One of the days (I don't remember which) was the busiest day ever for the BBC Sport site, and it seems to be coping admirably.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Can't be arsed to read through this shit but to me the bbc's coverage has been fantastic! If you want to watch an event, you can! What am I missing?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Even my dog's got his own so he doesn't miss anything.
5340104554_702612226e_b.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here