I'm feeling quite cheated by the BBC.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Err not being able to see it :lol:

As I said on page 1:-

I'd like to see the trailer that says:-

'.....plus a limited service on Freeview'.

If I had have done, I would have gone scurrying down to Curry's faster than a German sprint train.

:mad: I do feel for you, its an armchair sports fans dream. Although currently down to live Boxing, Handball, Basketball, Badminton x2 , volleyball and Hockey. Cant you get it on the PC - perhaps buy a cable from curries that pops it on telly box.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
With a completely different budget. That does have some effect on the type of coverage, I would have thought.

I think your second point is fair enough, but it's kind of an obvious one isn't it. Sky have the means to be able to do the Olympics real justice in the way that only they can. They are a dedicated sports broadcasting channel, afterall.

I think all the criticism of the BBC for pretty much everything possible is really boring and tiresome. I'm not referring to you specifically there Arthur, but in general. There's an awful lot of irrelevant moaning about the BBC and I think it's all massively out of proportion. They are providing the channels, they are providing commentary on higher profile matches, and their coverage on the main BBC1 channel has been fantastic so far in my opinion. But it's the BBC, so we must moan and criticise.

I think people object because they have no choice but to pay for the BBC. I watch very little of their programming, haven't listened to a radio station of theirs for about 10 years. I do use their website probably every day but I could find alternatives. Is that worth £150 a year of my hard earned??

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think people object because they have no choice but to pay for the BBC. I watch very little of their programming, haven't listened to a radio station of theirs for about 10 years. I do use their website probably every day but I could find alternatives. Is that worth £150 a year of my hard earned??

If you look at it that way, then you would object. As would I. But for Match of the Day, Top Gear and Have I Got News For You, I don't watch it either. And sadly I've had to fork out that fee like everyone else for the last few years. But it doesn't really change anything other than your own personal perception. I'm not saying you're wrong though, it's an opinion after all.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:mad: I do feel for you, its an armchair sports fans dream. Although currently down to live Boxing, Handball, Basketball, Badminton x2 , volleyball and Hockey. Cant you get it on the PC - perhaps buy a cable from curries that pops it on telly box.
It was a momentary miff, which has been eased by the windmill spin round air shot punch, I've just watched in the boxing.
The fella ended up lying on the canvas pi$$ing himself laughing.

Anyway just so long as I have access to archery (there's a sentence I never thought I'd say) before the velodrome opens, I'll be happy enough.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
It was a momentary miff, which has been eased by the windmill spin round air shot punch, I've just watched in the boxing.
The fella ended up lying on the canvas pi$$ing himself laughing.

Anyway just so long as I have access to archery (there's a sentence I never thought I'd say) before the velodrome opens, I'll be happy enough.

I swear its worse than the Tour de France, I will be losing contracts by the day with lack of activity, you should win a exercise bike it you watch all olympic events...(one of those Traxs systems so you could pedal round the venues)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I swear its worse than the Tour de France, I will be losing contracts by the day with lack of activity, you should win a exercise bike it you watch all olympic events...(one of those Traxs systems so you could pedal round the venues)
Perhaps not having 24 channels available isn't so bad, if last night is anything to go by:-

'But dad can I eat my tea on the sofa, I want to watch the water polo' :facepalm:

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I dont feel cheated at all. I have paid my money, rigged what I can get away with, and understand new technology like internet viewing to maximise my viewing pleasure. If you are too dumb to do so or are too tight to pay more than the license fee then suck it up!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
How am I missing the point? You wouldn't have dead air on any other medium? How much work would it be to get Dave the commentator to say a few things at the break? Eurosport manage it!

But if they had to pay someone to commentate on and present every event then it'd be even more fuel for the numpties that moan about the licence fee - even though it supports a world-leading selection of programmes across the BBC's TV and radio platforms for a fraction of the cost of Sky.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
But if they had to pay someone to commentate on and present every event then it'd be even more fuel for the numpties that moan about the licence fee - even though it supports a world-leading selection of programmes across the BBC's TV and radio platforms for a fraction of the cost of Sky.

But they are commentating on the sport. They just don't fill the gaps in play.

And I'm struggling to see what the BBC do that is world leading any more? Nature programmes maybe? Arguably news perhaps?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
But they are commentating on the sport. They just don't fill the gaps in play.

And I'm struggling to see what the BBC do that is world leading any more? Nature programmes maybe? Arguably news perhaps?

I would imagine they're commentators on a world feed and therefore not working for the BBC directly.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I have two comments to make here. Firstly, the license fee works out at 40p a day. Secondly, you can watch everything Olympic-related from the BBC Sport website. Ironic, really, that the OP goes on the internet to complain about the lack of availability of something which is in fact easily accessible on the internet.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have two comments to make here. Firstly, the license fee works out at 40p a day. Secondly, you can watch everything Olympic-related from the BBC Sport website. Ironic, really, that the OP goes on the internet to complain about the lack of availability of something which is in fact easily accessible on the internet.
My internet access can cope with whinging on here, but it's not great on live sport.

If I had the money I'd have a decent computer and Sky TV.
I don't I prioritize keeping a roof over my families head, food in their tummies, and shoes on their feet.

In here somewhere is my appreciation of the BBC.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
My internet access can cope with whinging on here, but it's not great on live sport.

If I had the money I'd have a decent computer and Sky TV.
I don't I prioritize keeping a roof over my families head, food in their tummies, and shoes on their feet.

In here somewhere is my appreciation of the BBC.

Where does a bike fit into that priorty list :p

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
It annoys me that they have nothing on BBC 4 in the day time. They could have some of the Olympics on that channel. And why do they have people talking about sports they know nothing about. It can't be that hard to find someone for every sport.

The space used for BBC 3 and BBC 4 is shared with BBC children's programming. During the day the children's channels are carried and during the evening they carry BBC 4 and 3.

So not technically true they carry nothing during the day.

D

Deleted member 22389

If you have Freesat, Sky and I think Virgin you get the 24 dedicated channels.

Freeview owners are not so lucky. They only get what the BBC provide on BBC1 and BBC3 and also the scaled down red button version.

I don't know why this is.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I have two comments to make here. Firstly, the license fee works out at 40p a day.
SO does a newpaper, but if I chose not to buy that (which I don't) that doesn't prevent me from reading anything else. So why should I be forced to spend 40p a day to watch other channels I have an interest in and choose to pay for, just because I own a tellybox?

BBC is outdated and the license fee is a form of extortion.

Now we are all digital, it should be no problem to cut of the BBCs services to anyone who doesn't want to pay for the previlage of owning a TV and a Sky/Virgin box!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here