Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

I'm feeling quite cheated by the BBC.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And they are still persisting in showing the same event on 2 of the 4 available channels.

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
erm, you do realise you can stream it all off the bbc sport website?

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Of course I'm not joking. The BBC are terrible at sport these days whilst Sky are superb. I guess it's a case of you get what you pay for.

Yes and we are all now paying for a lack of sport on the BBC because Sky has priced them out of the market in many cases - although will not argue they've upped the game regarding quality of coverage.

I'd love to see more sport on my tv, but I refuse to put money into Murdoch's coffers - my sacrifice.

Perhaps the Beeb would make a good decision to support smaller sports (in British terms) such as hockey, handball, cycling etc and increase their profile. Potential there me thinks.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
In September Eurosport will have 4 channels (2HD , 2SD) when it fully rebrands to British Eurosport and UK/ROI viewers lose the continental version.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Retune your freeview / re scan for channels. BBC put out a message saying you need to do this to access interactive content

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Why are you comparing it to Eurosport? When they're broadcasting a sport, of course they have commentary, they only have 2 channels. The BBC service is a completely different thing, they're broadcasting a lot of different things at once, they physically can't have dedicated commentary on everything they're showing, it's not practical. As for the mute button, it would spoil the crowd atmosphere a little bit I fear, but thanks for the suggestion.

I'm comparing them to Eurosport because they manage to fill dead air in breaks in play. BBC aren't capable. They do have dedicated commentary for the sports, at least the bits I've seen. Not sure what you are banging on about there?

The American broadcaster (NBC I think) have 2500 staff working, BBC 700. Says it all.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'm comparing them to Eurosport because they manage to fill dead air in breaks in play. BBC aren't capable. They do have dedicated commentary for the sports, at least the bits I've seen. Not sure what you are banging on about there?

The American broadcaster (NBC I think) have 2500 staff working, BBC 700. Says it all.

Your expectations are ridiculous. You're comparing NBC and BBC now? How on earth can you think that's a reasonable comparison, considering the massive difference in funding.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
you're a joy aren't you
Please explain.

I'm loving these Olympics, and am enjoying plenty of different sports.
I just feel a little cheated by having the least available to me.
While then having 25% of that limited coverage taken away because the same event is being shown twice.

Why can't they just put some weightlifting or fencing or something on.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Your expectations are ridiculous. You're comparing NBC and BBC now? How on earth can you think that's a reasonable comparison, considering the massive difference in funding.

Well firstly because they are covering the same event.

Secondly, if you go back to my original point the BBC were never going to be able to do it justice because they can't compete financially. Sky would have been able to.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Finally it's better.

Gymnastics
Basketball
Boxing
Badminton.

I'm happier now.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Please explain.

I'm loving these Olympics, and am enjoying plenty of different sports.
I just feel a little cheated by having the least available to me.
While then having 25% of that limited coverage taken away because the same event is being shown twice.

Why can't they just put some weightlifting or fencing or something on.

Do you not have red button options that give you all 24 options i am checking now (make me switch off women handball game)

I swear its not like the world cup, you will never leave the house again until August the 13th....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you not have red button options that give you all 24 options i am checking now (make me switch off women handball game)

I swear its not like the world cup, you will never leave the house again until August the 13th....
No you don't get that on Freeview, even after a rescan.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It annoys me that they have nothing on BBC 4 in the day time. They could have some of the Olympics on that channel. And why do they have people talking about sports they know nothing about. It can't be that hard to find someone for every sport.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well firstly because they are covering the same event.

Secondly, if you go back to my original point the BBC were never going to be able to do it justice because they can't compete financially. Sky would have been able to.

With a completely different budget. That does have some effect on the type of coverage, I would have thought.

I think your second point is fair enough, but it's kind of an obvious one isn't it. Sky have the means to be able to do the Olympics real justice in the way that only they can. They are a dedicated sports broadcasting channel, afterall.

I think all the criticism of the BBC for pretty much everything possible is really boring and tiresome. I'm not referring to you specifically there Arthur, but in general. There's an awful lot of irrelevant moaning about the BBC and I think it's all massively out of proportion. They are providing the channels, they are providing commentary on higher profile matches, and their coverage on the main BBC1 channel has been fantastic so far in my opinion. But it's the BBC, so we must moan and criticise.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Well I can go red button , this brings up Olympics, that brings up an A-Z menu, selected H for handball now watching Sweden ladies 7 Norway ladies 10...

Whats not to like

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whats not to like
Err not being able to see it :lol:

As I said on page 1:-

I'd like to see the trailer that says:-

'.....plus a limited service on Freeview'.

If I had have done, I would have gone scurrying down to Curry's faster than a German sprint train.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here