Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] I'm a Newcastle fan and

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Kind of echo what Acas said, I really enjoy watching Brighton play and have a huge amount of respect for the way you've steadily grown over the past 14 years or so. To get where you are, from where you were is incredible, to do it largely by playing entertaining, easy on the eye football is even more impressive.

I really hope we beat you on Thursday to all but confirm Champions League football, but I'd love to see Brighton get into Europe. If Leicester take points off Liverpool tonight, a draw with you wouldn't be the worst result for us. I fancy us to beat Leicester in our final home game and Chelsea have been Frankly awful under Lampard.

If anyone is travelling up and want some pub advice or suggestions for somewhere to grab a bite to eat, let me know.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Kind of echo what Acas said, I really enjoy watching Brighton play and have a huge amount of respect for the way you've steadily grown over the past 14 years or so. To get where you are, from where you were is incredible, to do it largely by playing entertaining, easy on the eye football is even more impressive.

I really hope we beat you on Thursday to all but confirm Champions League football, but I'd love to see Brighton get into Europe. If Leicester take points off Liverpool tonight, a draw with you wouldn't be the worst result for us. I fancy us to beat Leicester in our final home game and Chelsea have been Frankly awful under Lampard.

If anyone is travelling up and want some pub advice or suggestions for somewhere to grab a bite to eat, let me know.
Yep, getting in to Newcastle mid afternoon. Like to get a (decentish) bit of grub, glass or two of Red then a couple of beers. 👍

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Yep, getting in to Newcastle mid afternoon. Like to get a (decentish) bit of grub, glass or two of Red then a couple of beers. 👍

Khai Khai is a good Indian restaurant, Chili Padi, The Bridge Tavern. Latter is good for beer too.

Pub-wise I'd recommend The Forth, the Town Wall, Tilleys, Rosies (Mr Alexanders), The Strawberry
1684154934266.png

Whitley Bayster

Jul 4, 2011
Whitley Bay Tyne and Wear
Being a Newcastle based Seagull I cannot wait until Thursday but also fearing a negative outcome. The stick will be unbearable if we lose but I'm felling confident. I love the mutual respect between the fans though. Long live the disruption to the so called top six monopoly. I've been to St James a few times this season (work related prawn sandwich brigade stuff) and the atomosphere is electric. The football is decent too. its a tough one to call. I'd snap your arm off for a draw. Its a shame its midweek as the away turn will be limited

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think Thursday depends on how Smug sets up against us. Hopefully they will want to play and it will be a good game, but I wouldn't put it past him to sit back and do an Everton even at home.
Agree with this, Smug always seems to play a dour, niggly, time wasting defensive game against us, it’s hot wired into his DNA so it could be a tight attritional affair despite the fact that the barcodes are at home. The dark arts he learned sitting at the feet of Simeone on that special trip he made to Madrid could unfortunately be on full display.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Being a Newcastle based Seagull I cannot wait until Thursday but also fearing a negative outcome. The stick will be unbearable if we lose but I'm felling confident. I love the mutual respect between the fans though. Long live the disruption to the so called top six monopoly. I've been to St James a few times this season (work related prawn sandwich brigade stuff) and the atomosphere is electric. The football is decent too. its a tough one to call. I'd snap your arm off for a draw. Its a shame its midweek as the away turn will be limited
I can take very little pleasure from disruption of the big 6 by a club funded by dirty oil money.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
That was mightily impressive. Outplayed Arsenal at their place and not many teams do that.

Looking forward to our game on Thursday and rather than predict a result I'd rather say this. To beat you we are going to need to be at the top of our game. Impossible to predict, but you deserve the praise which will inevitably come your way.
Our record against Smug Eddie and False Tan Tindall is dire.........................................

lasvegan

Jan 30, 2009
Sin City
What with Mac Allister moving to Liverpool this summer and with them pushing for a Champions League place, I’m expecting an astounding performance from him on Thursday…

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
If you saw Steve Foster at the Goldstone it would have been in the FA Cup at the start of 1983 or in the league match in the December. A draw and a 1-0 win for Newcastle. Albion filling out the Leazes End was in 1979, the match that took us up to the top flight in the May that year. There were around 5,000 Albion fans there (although the figures grow taller with the telling despite the Leazes end only being able to hold 5,000 at the time)

The Goldstone Ground was only a short walk from Hove station and there was rarely trouble caused by Albion fans. A welcome would more likely have been a few middle fingers and the odd V sign. Although one former former resident of NSC would claim there had been a full scale war in BN3.
We also had about a third of the seats opposite the tunnel.....I was just above your baying mob in the lower tier terrace nearest the away terrace.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What with Mac Allister moving to Liverpool this summer and with them pushing for a Champions League place, I’m expecting an astounding performance from him on Thursday…
Interestingly I've seen a couple of articles where it says he'd only leave for a club in the CL...maybe he's having second thoughts? Now where did I leave those straws. Come United keep Liverpool out of the CL positions :thumbsup:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That was mightily impressive. Outplayed Arsenal at their place and not many teams do that.

Looking forward to our game on Thursday and rather than predict a result I'd rather say this. To beat you we are going to need to be at the top of our game. Impossible to predict, but you deserve the praise which will inevitably come your way.
Howay the lads!

Fantastic passionate support. Don't begrudge Newcastle fans their success, though Saudia sports washing is unfortunately the grim reality :(

Here's hoping for an Albion win Thursday and Newcastle top 4 at the expense of Man U!

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
I
Albion filling out the Leazes End was in 1979, the match that took us up to the top flight in the May that year. There were around 5,000 Albion fans there (although the figures grow taller with the telling despite the Leazes end only being able to hold 5,000 at the time)

The Goldstone Ground was only a short walk from Hove station
It sounds as if he walked it from Brighton station.
There were a lot more than 5,000 at Newcastle. Do you think none of our support was allocated seating?!

OP the Goldstone did have seating at the south end, which was only half terraced (later fully seated). There was also a temporary stand erected for our first top flight spell which filled the gap left by the oddly sized grandstand.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL

Not to mention it was rearranged too. I know of a few people who were looking at going (including myself) but the new date is just impossible at such short notice.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I
There were a lot more than 5,000 at Newcastle. Do you think none of our support was allocated seating?!

OP the Goldstone did have seating at the south end, which was only half terraced (later fully seated). There was also a temporary stand erected for our first top flight spell which filled the gap left by the oddly sized grandstand.
My Dad, Brother and I were in the away seats so that’s at leat 5,003!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I

The Leazes end capacity was only 5,000 in those days. If you watch the footage you'll see it's quite full (although there are spaces at the far edges) but not jammed. There would have been Albion fans in the seats too. The Argus originally said there were around 5,000 Albion fans at the ground, although over the years that has grown to 10,000 then 12,000 and has reached a point where even Leeds United would feel rivalled :lolol:

NUFC1

May 16, 2023
Afternoon all from many miles away in Newcastle!

Basically just echoing everything the OP has said. I can't help but just admire the fearless nature of the way you lads play. Feel like you're a beacon of how a club should be run - top to bottom. You've pioneered certain things; I think an older player in the U21s to coach and play?, scouting and actually using players from less-known foreign leagues. It should be admired you have taken a chance on them sort of players and it's great to see it paying off.

We've kind of been on this journey hand in hand, albeit our recent 'success' and subsequent rise up the league was more down to (I know, dodgy...) investment and coaching existing players into playing at a higher level on a consistent basis. You lot have done it organically and genuinely are a pleasure to watch, although you don't need me or anyone else to tell you that. I must admit I always had a soft-spot after Hughton was your manager in 16/17, & although I was delighted to pip you on the final day to the title, I was equally delighted to see you in the top flight with us. I think you can agree though, when you're pushing for Europe, the PL will try and protect their beloved 'Big 6' as much as possible, demonstrated by the horrific performance of the ref & VAR in your defeat at Spurs and the numerous decisions that have went in the favour of their precious Liverpool in their recent winning run.

Now onto Thursday. I Genuinely can see you winning. The atmosphere will be rocking but as long as you can manage the first 20 you'll win, or at very worst get a draw. This isn't some reverse psychology or anything like that, I just think it's a poor match up for us in terms of styles. We aren't the second coming of Pulis/Stoke that the media will have you believe, in fact we play decent football that requires high energy. Unfortunately the players have looked a bit leggy recently. We didn't play badly against Arsenal, just beaten by quality. On another day it could have been a draw. Leeds we did look very leggy and we are missing Longstaff who is crucial to our press and freeing up Bruno, who is by far our best player. If you can stop him, you stop us (6 games without him in 22/23, 0 wins!). I think the Champions League will fall away if we lose to you, which on the face of it isn't terrible as we would have snapped your hands off in August for any European competition. It would definitely sting now though.

We generally start lightening fast in home games . We hit the post and got a (rightly overturned) penalty against Arsenal within the first 10, we should have been 2-0 up against West Ham (one marginal offside) within the first 5 minutes, Man U we had chance after chance early on only to eventually score 2 in the final quarter, and everyone seen what happened in the Spurs game. The Man U game could have quite easily been a similar scoreline . If you can manage that initial 20 minute period you should go on to get a result. It should be a belter game! If we didn't need 6 points to guarantee CL football, I'd have taken a point for sure. Chelsea are rubbish but I don't fancy us there on the final day for a number of reasons, the main one being we have a rubbish record at the Bridge!

Best of luck for the rest of the season and beyond (after Thursday of course!) and I look forward to watching you alongside us in Europe next season. Who'd have thought that in May 2017 when we both went up?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Afternoon all from many miles away in Newcastle!

Basically just echoing everything the OP has said. I can't help but just admire the fearless nature of the way you lads play. Feel like you're a beacon of how a club should be run - top to bottom. You've pioneered certain things; I think an older player in the U21s to coach and play?, scouting and actually using players from less-known foreign leagues. It should be admired you have taken a chance on them sort of players and it's great to see it paying off.

We've kind of been on this journey hand in hand, albeit our recent 'success' and subsequent rise up the league was more down to (I know, dodgy...) investment and coaching existing players into playing at a higher level on a consistent basis. You lot have done it organically and genuinely are a pleasure to watch, although you don't need me or anyone else to tell you that. I must admit I always had a soft-spot after Hughton was your manager in 16/17, & although I was delighted to pip you on the final day to the title, I was equally delighted to see you in the top flight with us. I think you can agree though, when you're pushing for Europe, the PL will try and protect their beloved 'Big 6' as much as possible, demonstrated by the horrific performance of the ref & VAR in your defeat at Spurs and the numerous decisions that have went in the favour of their precious Liverpool in their recent winning run.

Now onto Thursday. I Genuinely can see you winning. The atmosphere will be rocking but as long as you can manage the first 20 you'll win, or at very worst get a draw. This isn't some reverse psychology or anything like that, I just think it's a poor match up for us in terms of styles. We aren't the second coming of Pulis/Stoke that the media will have you believe, in fact we play decent football that requires high energy. Unfortunately the players have looked a bit leggy recently. We didn't play badly against Arsenal, just beaten by quality. On another day it could have been a draw. Leeds we did look very leggy and we are missing Longstaff who is crucial to our press and freeing up Bruno, who is by far our best player. If you can stop him, you stop us (6 games without him in 22/23, 0 wins!). I think the Champions League will fall away if we lose to you, which on the face of it isn't terrible as we would have snapped your hands off in August for any European competition. It would definitely sting now though.

We generally start lightening fast in home games . We hit the post and got a (rightly overturned) penalty against Arsenal within the first 10, we should have been 2-0 up against West Ham (one marginal offside) within the first 5 minutes, Man U we had chance after chance early on only to eventually score 2 in the final quarter, and everyone seen what happened in the Spurs game. The Man U game could have quite easily been a similar scoreline . If you can manage that initial 20 minute period you should go on to get a result. It should be a belter game! If we didn't need 6 points to guarantee CL football, I'd have taken a point for sure. Chelsea are rubbish but I don't fancy us there on the final day for a number of reasons, the main one being we have a rubbish record at the Bridge!

Best of luck for the rest of the season and beyond (after Thursday of course!) and I look forward to watching you alongside us in Europe next season. Who'd have thought that in May 2017 when we both went up?
I reckon this might be a game too far, too soon.
We have key injuries and generally look a bit leggy.
I have a soft spot for the toon after one of your lot put us up (5 of us) in his front room in 1979.
Long story short: We were pissed by the time we got to the bottom of the M1, then we arrived and the driver joined us on the beers, then couldn't remember where we'd parked the minibus.
We ended up in Newcastle for 4 days :facepalm:

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
.... I think you can agree though, when you're pushing for Europe, the PL will try and protect their beloved 'Big 6' as much as possible, demonstrated by the horrific performance of the ref & VAR in your defeat at Spurs and the numerous decisions that have went in the favour of their precious Liverpool in their recent winning run.....
Good to see that others see that too...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here