[Albion] I'm a Newcastle fan and

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is it top six or seven who qualify for the Europa ?

6. 7th = conference.

I'm old enough to remember watching us play you at the Goldstone Ground many many years ago.

Most people here are too.

Think your Centre Half was Steve Foster, played with a headband. If you can't remember / don't recall, ask your dad.

My dad died in 87, but bless you for thinking I'm young.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That was mightily impressive. Outplayed Arsenal at their place and not many teams do that.

Looking forward to our game on Thursday and rather than predict a result I'd rather say this. To beat you we are going to need to be at the top of our game. Impossible to predict, but you deserve the praise which will inevitably come your way.
I’ve got a call in the morning with a work colleague and friend who I’ve worked with at three different jobs now. He’s a die hard Geordie and was an NUFC season ticket holder before he moved south.

I guarantee it’ll start with him saying how worried he is about playing us and me replying not to because we’re down to our last fit players and will be dead after that game.

Two pessimists in a pod 😂

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We are really out on our feet now. Those guys put SO much into that game. And now looks like we’ve lost Enciso, too.
Will be fascinating to see what team we put out on Thursday. Think we need to make sure we have enough in the tank for Southampton next Sunday.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That bitter Arsenal fan moaning that Newcastle are the new Stoke clearly doesn't pay a lot of attention. Their style of football is very different to ours, but they're not a long ball team in my mind. Pope isn't great with his feet so is far more likely to go long if under pressure, but Smug Eddie's teams have always been about hitting opponents very fast on the break. That's not hoofball in the Burnley or Stoke sense though, but nor is it Man City style.

We completely outplayed Newcastle at the Amex early on this season but couldn't stick the ball in the back of the net. I forget if Potter was still around at that point- in my mind he was, so it would be classic Potter. For a long time I remember hearing Geordies saying it was the only time this season that they'd actually been played off the park (they've certainly destroyed enough opponents themselves in recent weeks, except maybe the Villa game).

I think it could be a good game, and having vowed not to go, I'm now seriously wavering and contemplating getting a ticket.

One other thing: given how poorly Cucurella, White and now Trossard have played against us this season, I'd be quite happy for the same law to apply to Dan Burn on Thursday (only for that game, Dan, I don't wish you any ill otherwise!).

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
No I wouldn't bud for a very personal reason. However, I've watched them a number of times this season and they've got a good young side who are good to watch.

You think you guys can keep your players and push on.? One more thing, is it a " flash in the pan " for you. ?
No, it's not a flash in the pan for us, we've been quietly climbing our way up the table since we joined the PL. We're not in the top half due to a 'fluke', we're there because we've bloody well earnt our place. (y) We'll probably draw against you & then get battered by Southampton, it's the Brighton way & I wouldn't have it any other way. 🙂

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
No, it's not a flash in the pan for us, we've been quietly climbing our way up the table since we joined the PL. We're not in the top half due to a 'fluke', we're there because we've bloody well earnt our place. (y) We'll probably draw against you & then get battered by Southampton, it's the Brighton way & I wouldn't have it any other way. 🙂
Fluke and battered in the same post. But no pun? Surely a ban....

theboybilly

Really, really looking forward to this fixture but sad that it's midweek. The absolute best of Away games for me. Friendly people, beautiful city with lots to do and loads of very good places to eat and drink. It's why I try to make a weekend of it but this year will be up from Wednesday afternoon until Friday mid-morning. No rush to get back so will take in a few railways station pubs on the way (Durham Station bar, York Tap - might even pop over to the Sheffield Tap) then back to my local in Shoreham. As for the game, what will be will be but a chance to see Dan Burn again is something to look forward to. Good luck for the rest of the season. My family is from the North East so I have a soft spot for all the clubs up there.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Is it top six or seven who qualify for the Europa ? I'm old enough to remember watching us play you at the Goldstone Ground many many years ago. As I recall, it was quite a walk from the Station , where your " youths " gave us quite a welcome. The Grounds then.!! I think you had one " main " stand and the rest was terracing. Think your Centre Half was Steve Foster, played with a headband. If you can't remember / don't recall, ask your dad. Dear me I'm old at 58. Get this. I said to my boys " I want to see the Toon win something before I die ". I MIGHT just make it, just ha ha. Enjoyed the banter, after Thursday, hope you fellas do well. I remember playing Brighton at St James years ago and you completely filled out the Leazes end.
If you saw Steve Foster at the Goldstone it would have been in the FA Cup at the start of 1983 or in the league match in the December. A draw and a 1-0 win for Newcastle. Albion filling out the Leazes End was in 1979, the match that took us up to the top flight in the May that year. There were around 5,000 Albion fans there (although the figures grow taller with the telling despite the Leazes end only being able to hold 5,000 at the time)

The Goldstone Ground was only a short walk from Hove station and there was rarely trouble caused by Albion fans. A welcome would more likely have been a few middle fingers and the odd V sign. Although one former former resident of NSC would claim there had been a full scale war in BN3.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
If you saw Steve Foster at the Goldstone it would have been in the FA Cup at the start of 1983 or in the league match in the December. A draw and a 1-0 win for Newcastle. Albion filling out the Leazes End was in 1979, the match that took us up to the top flight in the May that year. There were around 5,000 Albion fans there (although the figures grow taller with the telling despite the Leazes end only being able to hold 5,000 at the time)

The Goldstone Ground was only a short walk from Hove station and there was rarely trouble caused by Albion fans. A welcome would more likely have been a few middle fingers and the odd V sign. Although one former former resident of NSC would claim there had been a full scale war in BN3.
I was there in 79 keeping quiet in the home end and I suspect I was not the only Brighton fan in there. More than 5,000, for sure.

Fiskmås

Jan 2, 2020
Is it top six or seven who qualify for the Europa ?
Not sure if anyone answered this, but this is how i understand it...

A "normal" year you have PL finishers 1-4 going to the Champions league, 5th place to Europa league and 6th to Conference league. Then there's also an Europa league slot for the FA Cup winners and Conference league slot for the League cup winners.

What's happening this year though is that one of the Manchester clubs will get an Europa League slot for winning the FA Cup, but since they both will qualify for the Champions league thanks to their league finishes, their Europa league slot will instead go to the highest placed team in the PL that hasn't already qualified for CL or EL, which means that both 5th and 6th place finishers will go to Europa league this year, and 7th to Conference league.

And a fun fact this year is that England might actually end up with eight teams playing European football, since West Ham are still in the Conference League (won the first leg of their semi final against AZ Alkmaar last Thursday), and the winners of the Conference league get an Europa League slot next year as well.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
I really enjoy reading all the Newcastle press about how Dan Ashworth is going to bring in all those quality youngsters, like the ones he found for Brighton. Ashworth did a very good job indeed, when he was with us, but his ability as a talent spotter, was not tested as far as I am aware anyway.

Like @sheebo I think we could be in trouble on Thursday. Newcastle always look an akward side to play against and I think this could be the wrong time to be travelling to St James. I hope we don't manage to pick up any more injuries and a nice dull 0-0 would be most welcome.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We are really out on our feet now. Those guys put SO much into that game. And now looks like we’ve lost Enciso, too.
Will be fascinating to see what team we put out on Thursday. Think we need to make sure we have enough in the tank for Southampton next Sunday.
Facu for Julio, otherwise unchanged starting lineup would be my guess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think it could be a good game, and having vowed not to go, I'm now seriously wavering and contemplating getting a ticket.

It certainly could be if we were able to field a full strength team, but we can't.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
No I wouldn't bud for a very personal reason. However, I've watched them a number of times this season and they've got a good young side who are good to watch.

You think you guys can keep your players and push on.? One more thing, is it a " flash in the pan " for you. ?
Wasn't that a unreleased song by Jimmy Nail ???

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That bitter Arsenal fan moaning that Newcastle are the new Stoke clearly doesn't pay a lot of attention. Their style of football is very different to ours, but they're not a long ball team in my mind. Pope isn't great with his feet so is far more likely to go long if under pressure, but Smug Eddie's teams have always been about hitting opponents very fast on the break. That's not hoofball in the Burnley or Stoke sense though, but nor is it Man City style.

We completely outplayed Newcastle at the Amex early on this season but couldn't stick the ball in the back of the net. I forget if Potter was still around at that point- in my mind he was, so it would be classic Potter. For a long time I remember hearing Geordies saying it was the only time this season that they'd actually been played off the park (they've certainly destroyed enough opponents themselves in recent weeks, except maybe the Villa game).

One other thing: given how poorly Cucurella, White and now Trossard have played against us this season, I'd be quite happy for the same law to apply to Dan Burn on Thursday (only for that game, Dan, I don't wish you any ill otherwise!).
He was – first home game of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports