Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Illegal Rave at the Dyke

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
BBC South said the National Trust were organizing a mass clean-up and asking for volunteers to help out on Wednesday. They also said it will take the area a few years to get back to how it was. How true that is is anyone's guess.

According to the police 90% of the litter had been collected up and put in bin bags by the party goers #responsibleraving

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
BBC South said the National Trust were organizing a mass clean-up and asking for volunteers to help out on Wednesday. They also said it will take the area a few years to get back to how it was. How true that is is anyone's guess.

I think it's utter bollocks as trampling and general "rough treatment" tends to help downland flowering species. I will ask one of the ecologists at work later.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009

It's not true, grass has a remarkable ability to recover, in a month you'll never know it happened

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
And people were not driving to the Orbital raves 25 years ago (which by the true nature you had to drive to as you followed everyone around the M25 to find where the party was at)

Raves have moved on, and generally to an event where you are lucky to pay sub £25 so a free rave is a throw back even though the politics may be different now.

It is about respect as well and I agree but I suspect where it was would limit the trouble for people as much as anywhere, much less than say the Brighton marathon or the London to Brighton bike ride where the cities roads are in lock down

Didn't use cars ooop north, we were green you see, used brownfield sites!!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If I had been aware of it I would have gone up there and:
- smashed their amplifiers
- slashed the tyres of their vehicles

Then they would maybe think twice about ruining the peace and quiet of the countryside in future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Police Statement here:

Seems everyone was rather sensible, well done the Police for acting accordingly.

http://www.sussex.police.uk/whats-h...hes?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Seems fair enough. I do laugh at the idea of nearby residents being "seriously distressed" I can understand if this is a regular thing but once in a blue-moon surely does not cause serious distress? I have had neighbour's kids have loud and late parties in the past, no different.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Seems fair enough. I do laugh at the idea of nearby residents being "seriously distressed" I can understand if this is a regular thing but once in a blue-moon surely does not cause serious distress? I have had neighbour's kids have loud and late parties in the past, no different.

I was walking around Albourne and Woodmancote on Sunday and depending on the lie of the land and wind direction I could hear the music from 3-4 miles away and that sounded like the stuff that comes through a wall from your neighbours. Those in Poynings and Saddlescombe would have had it much louder.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I was walking around Albourne and Woodmancote on Sunday and depending on the lie of the land and wind direction I could hear the music from 3-4 miles away and that sounded like the stuff that comes through a wall from your neighbours. Those in Poynings and Saddlescombe would have had it much louder.

I'm not disputing the level of noise; more the fact it's a one off and not "seriously distressing" as some have made out.

BHAFC_SWC

honorary pierced weirdo
Feb 26, 2013
West Sussex

This didn't go on for 5 hours, or 10 hours, or 15 hours. It was relentless for 26 hours! You have no idea how bad it was for the residents of the nearby villages. And yes, many of our elderly neighbours were distressed, understandably.

The main concern for us is that now a precedent has been set & they know that can act with impunity we'll have this to look forward to every bank holiday weekend.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you're a shift worker trying to sleep and you've got that going on (especially on a warm day when the natural desire is to have the windows open), it's pretty stressful, so I can understand residents' frustrations.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The main concern for us is that now a precedent has been set & they know that can act with impunity we'll have this to look forward to every bank holiday weekend.

There will be no precedent for this site specifically. This happens somewhere in Sussex every single bank holiday. Will probably be another one in August. First time for years I've known it happen around Brighton & Hove. All the ones I can recall in recent years have seemed to be around West Sussex, down towards Petworth or Chichester, for example.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

Then they would maybe think twice about ruining the peace and quiet of the countryside in future.

You and whose army?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

No, no you wouldn't.

You'd have sat behind your keyboard waiting for the appropriate amount of time to pass before you could post a message proclaiming you'd walk into a rave, on your own, to wreck it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here