Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If / when the club remove the facility to pay for Season Tickets by monthly Direct Debit..

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The reason we get crowds of 26k + is because of the Direct Debit option.

I'll say that again.

The reason we get crowds of 26k + is because of the Direct Debit option. Remove that, and our crowds would instantly tumble the very first season it happened. Its made it affordable for thousands and thousands of people who otherwise would simply not be able to commit. It was a GENIUS piece of marketing, and frankly I'm astonished more clubs haven't cottoned on to it and offered it to their fans.

That.

With wages rises running at about Zero percent, I would hope for no change in prices next year, providing we are in the same division.

And if the club abandon the DD option, then STH would leave in droves.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes I would renew, because I'm fortunate enough to be at a stage in my life where it isn't a problem. 5 years ago, and possibly 5 years time, it would be a different story.

It would be absolute madness for the club to remove the direct debit option. If we didn't have it we'd be playing in front of 15,000.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
If the club are desperately in need of ST cash up front, it should be possible to securitise the ST DDs and pay back the security/bond/whatever the correct term is as the monthly payments come through. Charge an admin fee that covers the yield offered.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
What percentage of season tickets holders pay upfront rather than paying on the never never?
I had assumed most paid upfront.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Were Brighton to ever get promoted to the Premier League I'm fairly certain the option to pay for a ST by DD would disappear as soon as possible. Even if we stay in the Championship for the foresable future I am sure it will be on Mr Barber's "things to consider" list. As we saw with Azure, nothing is ruled out.

This is the most financially inept post I have ever read on NSC. Well done

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
What percentage of season tickets holders pay upfront rather than paying on the never never?
I had assumed most paid upfront.

I can't imagine that for a second. There isn't a single person I know that has stumped up the whole lot. Why would you if the interest free DD option is there?

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I can't imagine that for a second. There isn't a single person I know that has stumped up the whole lot. Why would you if the interest free DD option is there?

Fair point, if its interest free, suppose there is no reason to pay upfront, but having said this, interest on savings is feck all so just as easy to pay it all rather than leave it in the bank and drip feed it each month.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
If I had the money, yes I would renew my ticket. Realistically though I won't have the money floating about so no I wouldn't

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
I pay for myself and family,paying monthly is fine,but,to lump out for all our season tickets all at once would be just too big a chunk to pay out,so ,sadly,I would not keep renewing.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Or - they could have 100% of the value of the STs upfront in July, and have it their bank earning interest, not sitting in yours, earning them nothing.

or they could run the risk of not selling all the season tickets and get nothing for them.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I'll say that again.

The reason we get crowds of 26k + is because of the Direct Debit option. Remove that, and our crowds would instantly tumble the very first season it happened. Its made it affordable for thousands and thousands of people who otherwise would simply not be able to commit. It was a GENIUS piece of marketing, and frankly I'm astonished more clubs haven't cottoned on to it and offered it to their fans.

Spot on. It's absolutely the main reason we have so many STHs. Lose that and I reckon we'd see numbers go down, definitely.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I would pay for my season ticket outright if the DD option was ever removed. That said I wouldn't be happy about it.

As many have stated it would be commercial suicide to do so. But then so was 2000+ empty seats on Tuesday night. What the club should have done on monday was reduce the price of these remaining seats at say £15 per ticket to maximise revenue and bums on seats.

BARBER OUT!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would pay for my season ticket outright if the DD option was ever removed. That said I wouldn't be happy about it.

As many have stated it would be commercial suicide to do so. But then so was 2000+ empty seats on Tuesday night. What the club should have done on monday was reduce the price of these remaining seats at say £15 per ticket to maximise revenue and bums on seats.

BARBER OUT!!

Are you sure ?

If the club drastically reduced the price of games for late purchase people would not bother buying season tickets. It would be better value for money to wait for when the cheap tickets kick in.

As for the DD option I would be very surprised to see it removed however I always pay up front - just prefer it and as there are so many interest card options it is easier to do.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't see them dumping the 12 month DD facility. But, they may start adding interest over the year :shrug:

Then again, they may just carry on as they are. :)

A £24 annual administration fee would only be an extra couple of quid a month :lolol:

Say Brighton get promoted to the Premier League and there is only 1 ST costing £500 left for the whole ground.

Fan A has supported Brighton since 1978 and but can only afford to pay in 12 monthly instalments.
Fan B has never supported the club before but can pay the whole £500 upfront in July.

From a commercial point of view fan B gets the ST every time.

I'm astonished that people think it is a 12 month DD system. We pay over 10 months not 12.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I'll say that again.

Bang on.

Barber's remit is to increase revenue, not lose it. Removal of the DD option would guarantee an appalling haemorrhaging of ST sales, meaning Barber would have catastrophically failed. That's provided Tony Bloom agreed to such a daft, regressive idea.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Why is it interest free? With the DD option you're paying for the goods as you use them. Actually, given the payments start in April (I think) you're actually loaning the club money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here