Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If / when the club remove the facility to pay for Season Tickets by monthly Direct Debit..

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Or - they could have 100% of the value of the STs upfront in July, and have it their bank earning interest, not sitting in yours, earning them nothing. Then cash flow over the summer months isn't an issue if the business is well run.

A calculation will be being made somewhere.

Yes, in your head!

We don't fill the stadium at present, taking away the DD facility would see far fewer ST holders with the consequence that less attractive fixtures on a Tuesday evening would come in at 15 - 20 thousand attendances. There are currently many gaps in all stands but the empty seats have mostly been paid for by ST holders.

DD facilities were brought in for a reason; do you envisage local authorities or utility companies withdrawing the DD option with all the defaults and admin. overheads that would occur?

Still, you keep going with your conspiracy theory...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
why would it disappear? commercial suicide its why we have so many sth's

This,,,,,so many people wouldn't renew and just buy tickets on a game by game basis, which there would be plenty to go round. But that would mean games like last night would see crowds of 16,000 where as games against the so called glamour clubs would be around the mark we get atm. The club would be slitting their own throat's if they took away the dd option.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Why would it ? Of course what everyone pays will go up, but with a large number paying by DD - why would they want to piss of a large majority of the fanbase and price them out ? Especially when you consider you pay be paying about £500 + a year, not everyone can afford a big lump payment of that so thats why DD is so popular and is one of the reasons we have so many STHs.

Just because your promoted it doesnt mean anything would change with payment methods. I mean why remove something widely used ?

Say Brighton get promoted to the Premier League and there is only 1 ST costing £500 left for the whole ground.

Fan A has supported Brighton since 1978 and but can only afford to pay in 12 monthly instalments.
Fan B has never supported the club before but can pay the whole £500 upfront in July.

From a commercial point of view fan B gets the ST every time.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Where does stuff like this come from? It's all very tin foil hat if you ask me.

A quick google for 'arsenal season ticket direct debit' shows that they continue to have a direct debit option for STHs so I don't see why we wouldn't continue it.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Say Brighton get promoted to the Premier League and there is only 1 ST costing £500 left for the whole ground.

Fan A has supported Brighton since 1978 and but can only afford to pay in 12 monthly instalments.
Fan B has never supported the club before but can pay the whole £500 upfront in July.

Or would you rather price out the current fanbase for richer people with money to come in and take the seats, the "Fan B"'s ? All other points against it have been made above so no point posting, but i can see an admin charge being put in, which i cant see people having problems with, unless its a stupidly high amount.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yes, in your head!

We don't fill the stadium at present, taking away the DD facility would see far fewer ST holders with the consequence that less attractive fixtures on a Tuesday evening would come in at 15 - 20 thousand attendances. There are currently many gaps in all stands but the empty seats have mostly been paid for by ST holders.

DD facilities were brought in for a reason; do you envisage local authorities or utility companies withdrawing the DD option with all the defaults and admin. overheads that would occur?

Still, you keep going with your conspiracy theory...

Its an economic theory, not a conspiracy one.
And as I have said, only comes into play if Brighton get promoted to the Premier League, which is their stated ambition, when demand would regularly outstrip supply for all types of tickets.

If you asked Paul Barber if it was something he'd looked at he would say "yes." He wouldn't be doing his job if he hadn't. So no, not a conspiracy theory.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Its an economic theory, not a conspiracy one.
And as I have said, only comes into play if Brighton get promoted to the Premier League, which is their stated ambition, when demand would regularly outstrip supply for all types of tickets.

If you asked Paul Barber if it was something he'd looked at he would say "yes." He wouldn't be doing his job if he hadn't. So no, not a conspiracy theory.

"Were Brighton to ever get promoted to the Premier League I'm fairly certain the option to pay for a ST by DD would disappear as soon as possible. Even if we stay in the Championship for the foresable future I am sure it will be on Mr Barber's "things to consider" list. As we saw with Azure, nothing is ruled out.

So, someone posted that using your Id ?

It is a conspiracy!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Where does stuff like this come from? It's all very tin foil hat if you ask me.

A quick google for 'arsenal season ticket direct debit' shows that they continue to have a direct debit option for STHs so I don't see why we wouldn't continue it.

They have 60'000 seats to fill and STs at up to £950. For them that would make sense.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The reason we get crowds of 26k + is because of the Direct Debit option.

I'll say that again.

The reason we get crowds of 26k + is because of the Direct Debit option. Remove that, and our crowds would instantly tumble the very first season it happened. Its made it affordable for thousands and thousands of people who otherwise would simply not be able to commit. It was a GENIUS piece of marketing, and frankly I'm astonished more clubs haven't cottoned on to it and offered it to their fans.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

If we get to the prem, season tickets will probably go up by £200 min, so even more need to have the direct debit system.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
With a limit on capacity, there may come a time when demand exceeds supply. The forecast is that they will charge interest for the dd facility (which would effectively make no difference to the club whether they get the money up front or not) - we're in bed with Amex anyway (and will be so for some years to come), and ultimately be in a position to put prices up over and above what many of our longstanding fans could afford.
Our club is now a business and is, I regret, in the process of losing its soul.

Butch Willykins

Jun 17, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
They won't get rid of it - Just like my Gym won't start asking people to pay 12 months membership upfront.

We aren't the only club to offer the facility either, several Premier League clubs do.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hope you're wrong Bry :(

Barber is coming to a spps clu meing - maybe I could ask this question then...

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Still no idea where this is coming from. As far as I can see it's irrational conjecture followed up by random speculation reaching an illogical conclusion. Oh, and then a depressing comment about how the club is on the fast-track to hell.

But then again the alternative is to listen to the Bolton game...

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The reason we get crowds of 26k + is because of the Direct Debit option.

I'll say that again.

The reason we get crowds of 26k + is because of the Direct Debit option. Remove that, and our crowds would instantly tumble the very first season it happened. Its made it affordable for thousands and thousands of people who otherwise would simply not be able to commit. It was a GENIUS piece of marketing, and frankly I'm astonished more clubs haven't cottoned on to it and offered it to their fans.

Absolutely THIS. :amex:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here