Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we play 1 up front sunday

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We have played one up front in he last five away games, and have scored ten goals, that's two a game, i'll take that thanks.

if we had played Derby 3 times in that last 5 would that still be the same,something is not working or maybe it's bad luck when we play Derby.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I stated in post 6 that our normal game has taken us to 6th....i am asking a question as to a possible change of formation might or might not benefit us..

No you're not, you said "if we don't play two up front we don't want promotion"!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I don't understand how anyone can think throwing players forward against a team with Derby's pace is a good idea. They would destroy us.

Also, we don't know how fit CMS is. Keep it tight for an hour and hope to nick one. If not, make attacking substitutions and go for it last half hour.

This. CMS and KLL on around 60/65 mins if we are still in it (ie drawing, one down) at that point.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
No you're not, you said "if we don't play two up front we don't want promotion"!

Well it's not quite what the title says,but i will accept and also that at some stage if we want to get promoted,then more than 1 up front will be on the pitch to try to make it happen at some stage tomorrow.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
A lot depends on ulloa for me too. If he plays anything like he did Thursday we can forget it. His antics don't help the team in any way. Not sure if Buxton is ready to let him out of his pocket yet!!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The way we play, when it works effectively we have THREE upfront for attacks with 1/2 just behind.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The way we play, when it works effectively we have THREE upfront for attacks with 1/2 just behind.

I'm guessing it doesn't work too effectively then with the amount of goals we score.

Was watching game back the other night and it was criminal how many players stand watching instead of making runs into dangerous areas. Derby had 5/6 defenders in their box when crosses came in and we had 1 or at most 2 players in their entire area. It's so VERY obvious why we don't score many.
The old saying is you have to buy a ticket if you want to win the lottery.

GolfingGull

Jul 21, 2013
Costa del Worthing
it could be a cagey 0-0 for 70mins and then KLL and CMS come on to attack......this has worked for us alot, and derby would surely defend what they have (as they did in 2nd half).

no need to completely change tactics and formation at this stage......save lingard, orlandi, and jfc need replacing in the starting 11.

if we went gung-ho and they hit us on the break its all over.
This

Feb 14, 2010
I'm guessing it doesn't work too effectively then with the amount of goals we score.

Was watching game back the other night and it was criminal how many players stand watching instead of making runs into dangerous areas. Derby had 5/6 defenders in their box when crosses came in and we had 1 or at most 2 players in their entire area. It's so VERY obvious why we don't score many.
The old saying is you have to buy a ticket if you want to win the lottery.

I agree but also would ask why a player s hoofing it from distance into the box to nobody in particular. If there is nobody in the box then bloody well keep the ball. Either get down to the line or close to it so to whip it back across the goal or pop it around the box to win a foul or create a chance to shoot. Dont hoof it from miles away into the goal keepers arms.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Forgive my memory but how did we do at Leicester with 1 up front? We cant just go kamikaze, we've got a great record away...we mustn't let in that second goal. Trust OG

And how did we do against, Barnsley, Middlesboro, Millwall etc, etc at home with one up front. The Leicester game was about syncronisty, how many others this year have we won by four or three with one up front. I'm not advocating three up front, but Oscar needs to think about a strategy for winning, I suspect, as we have been fed all season, it will be much of the same.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I agree but also would ask why a player s hoofing it from distance into the box to nobody in particular. If there is nobody in the box then bloody well keep the ball. Either get down to the line or close to it so to whip it back across the goal or pop it around the box to win a foul or create a chance to shoot. Dont hoof it from miles away into the goal keepers arms.

Nobody is saying hoof,being direct and playing the long ball can differ,direct can mean pressing,faster up the field or banging the ball into Ulloa's feet-

We could as an example play 4-4-2 and play as an example,Bruno at fullback and Calderon in front of him,that way you save Buckley for sub and have 2 defensive able players that can get forward too..

It's all about tactics we constantly hear,it's all about 4-4-2 not working but it can work with good wingers or stronger defensive players and playing 2 up front can be in 5-3-2 or 3-5-2 or 4-2-4 or 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2 any formation you like,but to be so rigid especially when we have lost to a side 3 times in a season needs looking at...

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

The idea with resorting to the long ball is for ulloa to hold it up and bring players into the game in attacking positions. IMO he hasn't done this very effectively at all lately and seems to want to sit on the floor crying for fouls because he's getting out muscled when the ball comes to him. Buxton showed great strength the other night and completely ruined ulloa. Ulloa knew this and second half he was embarrassing, resorting just jumping at the defender and not even watching the ball.

He has to hold it up better otherwise it's going to be a long old ninety minutes.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Didn't our winner v forest come with one man in the box and cms playing out wide like our wingers usually do, rather than playing two strikers?

Feb 14, 2010
The idea with resorting to the long ball is for ulloa to hold it up and bring players into the game in attacking positions. IMO he hasn't done this very effectively at all lately and seems to want to sit on the floor crying for fouls because he's getting out muscled when the ball comes to him. Buxton showed great strength the other night and completely ruined ulloa. Ulloa knew this and second half he was embarrassing, resorting just jumping at the defender and not even watching the ball.

He has to hold it up better otherwise it's going to be a long old ninety minutes.

I was more talking about crosses into the box from the edge of the pitch a third of the way into their half. A complete waste of time. Crosses have to be made further up the pitch, closer to the box or not made at all as it just gives possession away and gives them a chance to attack. Keep the ball, make the ball move, create an angle to shoot, win a foul or cross with purpose from a dangerous position so that players will make a run into the box.

Feb 14, 2010
Didn't our winner v forest come with one man in the box and cms playing out wide like our wingers usually do, rather than playing two strikers?

and the superb cross was from a dangerous area, not miles away and gave Ulloa a ball to attack and nod home.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Yes it did but the really strange part was that it's obvious a partnership is already there,they would be great together..

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

Yup. Only 2 defenders though. And the cross was pinpoint.

This has hardly happened much throughout the course of the season though. You cannot argue with our goal scoring stats however.....

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
and the superb cross was from a dangerous area, not miles away and gave Ulloa a ball to attack and nod home.

2 strikers? combined to score the goal....that's 2 strikers on the pitch at the same time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here