Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we play 1 up front sunday

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Maybe,but,i would be flexible enough to accomodate any scenario, i've bored myself on this subject and have moved to penalty saving goalkeepers on the other thread now.

As a final note i believe both CMS and Ulloa should start today

Fair enough. I actually agree with you, assuming he is fit enough to start. It sounds like Buckley is out so I would play CMS for him but I imagine KLL or March will come in instead.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Fair enough. I actually agree with you, assuming he is fit enough to start. It sounds like Buckley is out so I would play CMS for him but I imagine KLL or March will come in instead.

If he is fit enough to be on the bench he can start,how long he lasts depends on his stamina at present,would also have if available Monakana on the bench too.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If he is fit enough to be on the bench he can start,how long he lasts depends on his stamina at present,would also have if available Monakana on the bench too.

That's not true though. If a player can last 30 minutes, you might stick them on the bench as an option but you wouldn't start them. Not saying that is the case with CMS, just that it doesn't always apply.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
We have to be measured - take it steady for the first 50-60 mins and then go flat out with 3 up front after that if needed

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
That's not true though. If a player can last 30 minutes, you might stick them on the bench as an option but you wouldn't start them. Not saying that is the case with CMS, just that it doesn't always apply.

If a player can only last 30 minutes then in my squad he would not warrant a place on the bench,i would not risk another injury.

This would only apply to the first team.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Words fail me....

Fortunately he 'likes' for and against certain comments on this thread restore my faith that some of our fans on here DO indeed understand football. Thank god!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
You would rarely have a full compliment of subs then! Also how is a player ever going to get match fit in "your team" if he can't get on the bench unless he is fully fit!?

We all know players play with injury and some players go club to club throughout there careers carrying injury yet still play for respective clubs,they train until they can last at least an hour for the first team. a non match fit player would have to be able to last more than 30 minutes.

But yes practically it's the easier option to ease them back in,but would i prefer a fully fit sub of lesser quality over a non fit better play,yes..

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Two up front does not work in modern football, the midfield would be completely over run. Derby controlled the midfield enough on Friday without taking another of our players out.

Personally I think we should be patient and look to defend. Look at games in recent weeks where the defending team has won... Chelsea, Real Madrid, Crystal Palace, Derby.

Based on Derby's strengths and how they played on Friday we need to let them come at us a little bit. They were only dangerous on the break and we struggle massively to break down 10 players in a team's half.

I think we should go for -

Kuszczak
Calderon/Bruno Greer Upson Ward
Ince Andrews
March Stephens Lingard
Ulloa

We then have the stability at the back with some pace to break. We have one of the best defensive records in the league, lets play to that strength. The only way I see us winning is but not conceding. If it's 0-0 after 60-70min then look to introduce Lua Lua, CMS, David/Orlandi (to play a killer pass or set piece)

I somewhat agree, that defending and breaking forward is the right road to winning, it's clear from recent results. And stats that show teams with overall possession rarely win. . . However, the problem we have, is that having gained contol of the ball we invariably pass it backwards or if we are feeling positive pass it sideways. The teams you correctly mention in your post get the ball forward quickly leaving their opponents in disarray at the back. I have studied the events leading to the Derby penalty. We got caught on such a break and were running backwards in disarray. So yes defend well, but let's have someone quickly release through balls. Incidently your team selection is quite good but I'd like to see CMS on a lot earlier.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
However there will always be an occasion where a manager will say to himself? he's not fully fit but my options are so limited that if i can get 30 minutes out of him,he has such quality,it's too good an opportunity to not have him on the bench,then yes i agree with that too.it's obvious.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We got 90mins to worry about. The current formation is much more attacking than any we ve had in the Amex era for me. Patience - we don't wanna attack and get hit on the break early - did u not see how quick & technically gifted Derby were on Tues?!

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
We got 90mins to worry about. The current formation is much more attacking than any we ve had in the Amex era for me. Patience - we don't wanna attack and get hit on the break early - did u not see how quick & technically gifted Derby were on Tues?!

I hope your right...just have a horrible feeling that they will settle,their crowd will be vociferous and we will be out of it by half time.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Patience. But CMS must be given AT LEAST half an hour.

East Stand

May 4, 2014
Sorry haven't read the whole thread but Derby play with one up front and are the league's highest scorers.

The thing about playing a lone striker is, can he hold the ball and link the play. Then how quickly can you get support for him.

Derby defend in numbers and attack in numbers, it's about power and pace.

Our two wide players get through a lot of work in the game and covering the full backs then getting forward quickly to support Martin. That's why it's become a feature of our play to replace them around the 70 minute mark and get some fresh legs on, usually in the shape of Dawkins and Bamford. Or if these two start then Russell and Ward will come on.

Add to that we have Bryson who has a tremendous engine and will run box to box for 90 minutes and Hendrick or Hughes that get through a lot of running in the game. In attack we get numbers forward quickly, even the LB forsyth is encouraged to bomb forward with the holding midfielder Thorne/ Eustace then covering the space left by the LB or RB.

It's not rocket science, it's just that you need the players to do this. At the moment either due to injuries or whatever you don't seem to have the players to play this way. I think?

Brighton remind me of Derby a year ago, lots of good possession and pretty football until the final third and it breaks down, no penetration.

I'm sure Oscar will sort this out in the summer, whichever league you find yourselves in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here