Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we have money to spend in Jan where do we need to strengthen and why?

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Another striker. A nippy striker who plays off the shoulder seems the only position we lack in. A young Nicky Forster would be perfect.
If Ulloa get's injured again, I think it would suit Barnes more if he was partnered upfront with someone playing higher up the pitch enabling Barnes to play the 'Rooney' role more often. I personally don't think CMS is good enough.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Centre back is only place really or as mentioned a reliable winger.

To be honest I think it's a case of get the best single player you can find and convince to come whatever his position (except in goal). That's not doing anyone down but you could get an elite player at any outfield position onto the pitch by tweaking formations and tactics or shifting an established player slightly.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd say striker still required, unless we extend Lita's contract. Sadly, I can't see Hoskins playing for us again.

I can't see Lita staying. He's going to be on a fair wage but has played a total of about 45 minutes in the 6 games that he's been with us. His opportunities to get time on the pitch are going to reduce even more now Leo is back. The money would be best spent elsewhere.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I don't think we need to spend that much money, if at all. Save it until the summer when we know what our squad will be. Contracts will run out, loans will go back and I would rather have more money to play with then, than spend money on players we might not need now. Lets just hold on to our quality and push for the play offs after the window with what we have.

Maybe just renew some loans like Conway until the end of the season if we have to.

Jimmy Grimble

I'm not saying anyone is expecting us to sign anyone in January, but if you are - other than extending Conway's stay or getting someone else instead of him - I can't help but feel you are going to be let down. In fact, I'd probably say you're being a tad greedy. We have a very good squad already, which is evidenced by the depth we've been able to call upon in this injury crisis. You can't just expect TB to start forking out more transfer fees and expanding the wage bill further.

As for people suggesting we replace Upson/Greer, now is most definitely not the time to be doing it. In the summer I'd probably agree (though replace wouldn't be the word I'd use), but not now.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I doubt we'll do much in January, if injuries have improved as they look like they will. Possibly 1 or 2 going out on loan. 1 in at most.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
A quality deputy for Kuszcak.

He has been pivotal for us since joining, God forbid should he pick up an injury at anytime I'm afraid Casper and Pete simply aren't championship quality IMO.

For me January is more about keeping players rather than brining players in. I'm praying for a quiet transfer window.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I know that others have queried the possibility of actually getting anyone, but the loss of PIG to anything other than a one game rest would be a catastrophe. Losing our only goal keeper (for he is our only keeper) would outweigh the benefits of any number of strikers returning from injury!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
As for people suggesting we replace Upson/Greer, now is most definitely not the time to be doing it. In the summer I'd probably agree (though replace wouldn't be the word I'd use), but not now.

I agree that with a fully fit squad we don't need to buy for the sake of it and I would look to keep our current talent and probably just get Ince on a longer contract and maybe offer Ward a deal.

But I do think January is the ideal time to bring in a young CB/defender who can work with the squad over the remainder of the season and provide Oscar with options in the event if injury / suspension to Greer / Upson - but mainly to have one of their long term successors in place, even if he isn't the first choice right now. Defensive cover will be vital especially if we are in contention around the play off places into the New Year.

Currently it seems as if Dunk and Maksimenko are not in the frame and although AEA can undoubtedly do a job as a squad player, he probably isn't going to be our first choice CB in the longer term.

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this. I know that others have queried the possibility of actually getting anyone, but the loss of PIG to anything other than a one game rest would be a catastrophe. Losing our only goal keeper (for he is our only keeper) would outweigh the benefits of any number of strikers returning from injury!

Again I agree, Only take one silly knock (god forbid) and we are stuck with flapper between the sticks...
A good quality mid 20's keeper would be good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here