Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If we have money to spend in Jan where do we need to strengthen and why?

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
Young centre back with pace and perhaps NOONEY on loan if available.

No point going all out with big signings in Jan, we have half a new team when the treatment room kicks Bridcutt, Ulloa, Orlandi, CMS and Agustein out!

Plus we don't really know where we will be next year, with the players above added to our already solid outfit, I think we could end up in a similar position to last year. 2nd time lucky?

JTR938

Nov 24, 2012
After what I saw on Saturday I would'nt mind seeing Ritchie at the club...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Because ideally in a squad you'd have 4 wingers and we have 2?!

We have SIX wide midfielders, four of whom are out and out wingers.

Lualua, Orlandi, Conway, March, David and Buckley.

On some of the other points - we have young centre backs at the club in Dunk, Maksimenko and if we want to play him there, Ince. Rea, too seems reasonably highly rated.

The keeper from Plymouth was Walton. He's still playing and doing well in the u-21s. Still very young though.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm tempted to say a centre back, however I still have a suspicion the man mountain that is Rohan Ince could well prosper in that position still.

sadly the young colossus that is Rohan Ince has a distinct lack of arial ability.......he can't head a ball for toffee :lolol:

I still think Dunk will make it through and provide added (and mobile) centre back cover. As for fresh blood in January...... I am in the creative midfielder camp - someone who can see and play a killer pass in the final third.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Because ideally in a squad you'd have 4 wingers and we have 2?!

we have 5 or 6 at present when all fit.....admittedly one less when Conway's loan finishes.

You are forgetting March and Orlandi and David Lopez ???

edit: beaten to it - well detailed HKFC :lolol: Sorry puppet master but "dont rate Chicksen"......you might regret that statement when he breaks through I think - fast, mobile, strong defensively (needs to work on positioning and his upper body strength but he is young) and has an eye for goal.....his time will come in a season or two but he could readily cover short term now and we would have no real worries

Last edited:

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
We have SIX wide midfielders, four of whom are out and out wingers.

Lualua, Orlandi, Conway, March, David and Buckley.

On some of the other points - we have young centre backs at the club in Dunk, Maksimenko and if we want to play him there, Ince. Rea, too seems reasonably highly rated.

The keeper from Plymouth was Walton. He's still playing and doing well in the u-21s. Still very young though.

I think there is an underlying feeling March will be a winger........Im not so sure, I think, in time, he will play more of a central role from what ive seen. Definitely not and out and out winger IMO

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
I think a central defender with a bit of pace is bloody essential, I have no problems with Greer, Upson and Adam from an ability perspective, but we cannot challenge if we dont get someone in who isnt doing a good impression of an oil tanker when faced with a pacey forward.

Elsewhere I feel we still need a domineering central midfielder, with experience at this level.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
I'm tempted to say a centre back, however I still have a suspicion the man mountain that is Rohan Ince could well prosper in that position still.

sadly the young colossus that is Rohan Ince has a distinct lack of arial ability.......he can't head a ball for toffee :lolol:

I still think Dunk will make it through and provide added (and mobile) centre back cover. As for fresh blood in January...... I am in the creative midfielder camp - someone who can see and play a killer pass in the final third.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Bournemouth also had a couple of quite good and young centre halves. They both looked strangely familiar...............

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'd say striker still required, unless we extend Lita's contract. Sadly, I can't see Hoskins playing for us again.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Good call... he was outstanding against us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here