Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we had got promoted, how do you think we'd be doing in the Premier League?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Gus would have left regardless and would have been at Sunderland regardless.

We would be just above the relegation zone, but if we went up - id be delighted with a 17th place finish in the first season !!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Top 3, probably unbeaten.....European Cup next year.

Obviously.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think by the end of the season, gus would have been gone regardless. If he wanted to go or not, I think tony had set his mind on a new manager because of Gus's phone call.

He wanted to go in March. For reasons we do not (and it seems, never will) know.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't hold with this view that Gus would have gone anyway. The information we have on Gus's intentions to leave have come out after the loss to Palace. If we had gone all the way through the play offs and secured a place in the top flight I think TB and Gus would have kept the status quo.

I can't see why Gus would have resigned without another club to go to, and I didn't see him being taken by Everton as Martinez was always Kenwright's choice post Wigan's FA cup victory.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
He wanted to go in March. For reasons we do not (and it seems, never will) know.

According to bloom, but come the end of the season it seems the club had to fire him to get rid of him. Did gus change his mind and want to stay, or did he just want a pay off? That's what I mean by 'if he wanted to go or not'. If he had changed his mind and decided to stay because it was premier league football, I think tony had already decided to replace him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No idea but I doubt we'd be enjoying it much.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I don't hold with this view that Gus would have gone anyway. The information we have on Gus's intentions to leave have come out after the loss to Palace. If we had gone all the way through the play offs and secured a place in the top flight I think TB and Gus would have kept the status quo.

I can't see why Gus would have resigned without another club to go to, and I didn't see him being taken by Everton as Martinez was always Kenwright's choice post Wigan's FA cup victory.

Things had gone pear shaped by the play off semi final imo. Gus showed very little passion on the touchline on that night. Having watched him on MOTD for Sunderland for the last couple of games reinforces that view for me.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
18 Aug, 13:30 Crystal Palace 0 - 1 Tottenham Hotspur Premier League
24 Aug, 15:00 Stoke City 2 - 1 Crystal Palace Premier League
27 Aug, 19:45 Bristol City 2 - 1 Crystal Palace League Cup
31 Aug, 17:30 Crystal Palace 3 - 1 Sunderland Premier League
September
14 Sep, 12:45 Manchester United 2 - 0 Crystal Palace Premier League
22 Sep, 13:30 Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Swansea City Premier League
28 Sep, 15:00 Southampton 2 - 0 Crystal Palace Premier League
October
5 Oct, 15:00 Liverpool 3 - 1 Crystal Palace Premier League
21 Oct, 20:00 Crystal Palace 1 - 4 Fulham Premier League
26 Oct, 12:45 Crystal Palace 0 - 2 Arsenal Premier League
November
2 Nov, 15:00 West Bromwich Albion 2 - 0 Crystal Palace

I had us down for a win against Sunderland and a win against Fulham then a draw against Swansea, so 7 points so far....mind you I had us down for a thrashing against Arsnal, Man U and Liverpool!!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Things had gone pear shaped by the play off semi final imo. Gus showed very little passion on the touchline on that night. Having watched him on MOTD for Sunderland for the last couple of games reinforces that view for me.

I hear that, but I think we'd have seen a different scenario play out had we gone up. I'm not saying that he'd have been here for the entirety of the 13/14 season.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Bloom has pretty much said as much, that Gus's mind was made up in March (or even earlier) to leave. Can you not remember the u-turn in his attitude? We were 4th in the league, and he suddenly couldn't care less. He loved this job previously, but something happened behind the scenes that meant he found his situation unworkable.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Bloom has pretty much said as much, that Gus's mind was made up in March (or even earlier) to leave. Can you not remember the u-turn in his attitude? We were 4th in the league, and he suddenly couldn't care less. He loved this job previously, but something happened behind the scenes that meant he found his situation unworkable.

Why was it something behind the scenes ? Why could it not have been something external to the club ?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Whatever would or would not have happened with Poyet, I could never see our squad as a successful (mid table) Premiership one. Many of us can remember relegation struggles in the old Div 1, and they were not as much fun as having a successful Championship team

I say we are better building slowly, get the new training ground on line and attract Premiership players - It will happen , lets be patient.

albionite

May 20, 2009
With our injuries this season good chance we would be near bottom, but with a fully fit squad and bringing in the right players (which I trust we would of done) I don't see why we wouldn't be mid table with the likes of Cardiff and Hull.

Everyone said our style of play last season was more suited to the premier than the championship.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Why was it something behind the scenes ? Why could it not have been something external to the club ?

Perhaps it was. Point is, we have NO CLUE what it was yet everyone gives their opinion anyway.

I think it was probably something internal as he SUDDENLY couldn't care less about a job that he previously loved, and suited him down to the ground.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Perhaps it was. Point is, we have NO CLUE what it was yet everyone gives their opinion anyway. Just find it funny is all.

True. All water under the bridge now anyway ( hopefully ).

Anyway,I'd have every confidence we'd survive our first season in the Premier League although that would probably depend on an initial investment by Tony - and that's of course up to him.

Am I right in thinking FFP is less strict in the PL ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here