Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IF we had got promoted, how do you think we'd be doing in the Premier League?

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
Would we still have Poyet is a big question.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
If we still had Poyet, we'd probably be just above the relegation zone as our momentum would have resulted in a few points at the start of the season. I have no doubt we'd be doing better than palace are.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Struggling, but with more points on the board than the current bottom 3.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Wed be in a relegation dogfight all season but that would be fine but that would be fine because Tony wouldnt have let us waste money and when going back down wed have balloon payments and the club would be richer. Id be happy if for a few years we replaced WBA as the boing boing team and then like them become established.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
If we had got promoted I think Gus would still be here. Although only because no opportunities had arisen.

TB would have recruited no more than 3 major players. A striker. A midfielder and a defender. Bridge would still be here too.

We'd have 8 points having beaten Sunderland and stoke and drawn with Swansea and Fulham.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If we had got promoted I think Gus would still be here.

Nope. It's been quite clear that his reasons for leaving were nothing whatsoever to do with how we did on the pitch. He was gone.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We would still have Bridge....if that means anything.

Not necessarily. We still might not have been prepared to meet his wages given that he would have been released by Man City. He's also injured and had a mixed season so far at Reading.

So lets assume that Gus was going to go anyway. Would we have Oscar Garcia ?

Probably not. The Albion in the Prem would be an attractive proposition for several well known managers and knowing TB I think we would have gone for a young manager like Di Matteo. We would have kept most of our players and got in a few wise additions.

We would have a few more points than Palace (not difficult really seeing as they are now worse than the team we stuffed 3-0) and each game would be a sell-out. IMO.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So lets assume that Gus was going to go anyway. Would we have Oscar Garcia ?

Yes.

I like to think that we would have spent 100 times more wisely than Palace, but we would still be struggling, especially with all these injuries. We would, however, be a slightly more attractive proposition than Palace. I hope anyway.

Swansea is the club to look at for the way to do it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If we had got promoted I think Gus would still be here. Although only because no opportunities had arisen.

TB would have recruited no more than 3 major players. A striker. A midfielder and a defender. Bridge would still be here too.

We'd have 8 points having beaten Sunderland and stoke and drawn with Swansea and Fulham.

That's spooky! How do you do it?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It would all depend on how much extra beyond the Sky money Tony wanted to throw at the team as an initial funding to establish ourselves at that level.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Bearing in mind that TB and The Board have made less mistakes than I can count fingers on my left foot, I'd say we would have used the Big Bag of Cash far, far more astutely than Hollowhead did at Selhurst. Kept Bridge, maybe got Yossi and a couple of others I think we would have been okay for lower middle.

raba

Jun 9, 2013
If 'ifs and buts' were sweets & nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Would you be doing better than us? At this moment in time I can't see anyone doing worse! This is the nature of the football beast. You want your team to be up there competing with the big boys, if you don't then what's the point? It's undeniable I'm finding it uncomfortable viewing currently but I live in hope that we turn it around albeit highly unlikely.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think by the end of the season, gus would have been gone regardless. If he wanted to go or not, I think tony had set his mind on a new manager because of Gus's phone call.

If we had got promoted I think there would have been more goodwill, both because of the success, and the money it would bring. So gus would have got a generous pay off, and the split would have been cleaner and quicker.

With a cleaner and quicker split Oscar would have been in sooner, preparations would have started sooner. Oscar would have got to know some of the players before they came in for pre-season training so would have hit the pre-season running, he would probably have had more of a hand in arranging pre-season friendlies.

But I think one key difference is that we have a decent scouting network who would have better identified what we needed and what available talents there are, another is our stadium (while I don't know that bendtner is what we'd have needed, I doubt he would have walked ten minutes after arriving at the Amex), a third would be our reputation for trying to play football the right way.

With those things in mind we would have done a better job with player recruitment in the summer and would have had a better base to approach the season with.

Then, I think it would come down to fixture list.if we started with winnable games I reckon we'd be upper mid table, if we started with a bunch of tough games, we'd be hovering around (either just above or just in) the relegation zone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here