Votes: 73 21.2%
  • other

Votes: 25 7.2%

• Total voters

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Voted LibDem in this poll as it’s the only viable option for me to unseat my Tory MP (even then it’s a massive long shot).

If we had anything other then FPTP I’d be going Green Party.
Good luck, I’m in the same position.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
My MP Tim Loughton regardless of the colour of his rosette is a great constituency MP, whatever Boris does doesn’t change that.

He was absolutley useless when my parents needed help. They got a regulation brush off parrotting some Tory party puff only tangentially connected to their problem. It wasn't even remotely party polical either.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Being in Hove, Labour. If I lived a mile to the east Green. A bit further east Labour. Further east Lib Dem. Still further east Labour.

I wouldn't live further to the West because that's West Sussex ... or worse.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Boris is brilliant lead the country through some of the worst circumstances this country has faced since World War 2,, we're all fully vaccinated if you want to be, the economy is booming back, unemployment zero, wages rising,, just look what's happening across Europe, unbelievable numbers of infections because of their bodged vaccine rollout, inflation out of control, youth unemployment at 30 %, gas supply running out at any moment! Raise a glass to Boris and thank him!

Might be time to stop "raising a glass".

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
He was absolutley useless when my parents needed help. They got a regulation brush off parrotting some Tory party puff only tangentially connected to their problem. It wasn't even remotely party polical either.

I've dealt with him for work and he's an utterly useless ****

probably a good "constituency MP" for simple stuff that doesn't really matter- for actual hands on case work, absolutely useless and couldn't care less

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd vote Tory. Fundamentally they are the only party that have ever shown they are capable of running the economy. Sadly everything else flows from this. If the economy goes down the pan it is the poorest who suffer most, so ironically for me a vote for Tory is a vote to look after the vulnerable. The support this Government has given through the pandemic is the most any Government has ever given and they went way beyond the level of support I ever thought a Tory Government would go to through furlough etc. They have to be given credit for that regardless of whether Boris has been out partying into the night every night. They've got the big stuff right and that's what matters to people's lives. But to clear I get the anger, but fundamentally I think labour would make a worse job, so until there is a credible opposition I'm sticking with the Tories. Get Andy Burnham in as Labour leader and I might change my mind.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
I'd vote Tory. Fundamentally they are the only party that have ever shown they are capable of running the economy. Sadly everything else flows from this. If the economy goes down the pan it is the poorest who suffer most, so ironically for me a vote for Tory is a vote to look after the vulnerable. The support this Government has given through the pandemic is the most any Government has ever given and they went way beyond the level of support I ever thought a Tory Government would go to through furlough etc. They have to be given credit for that regardless of whether Boris has been out partying into the night every night. They've got the big stuff right and that's what matters to people's lives. But to clear I get the anger, but fundamentally I think labour would make a worse job, so until there is a credible opposition I'm sticking with the Tories. Get Andy Burnham in as Labour leader and I might change my mind.

in which case I urge you to have a serious re-think over that

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Labour if Peter Kyle stands again in Hove.

If they ever replace him with a spotty Momentum oik who can tell you every single word in the dictionary he considers discrimatory but couldn't organise drinks at Harvey's it'll be Lib Dem.

I used to say the best local candidate would get my vote whoever they represented but the Tories won't get a vote off me as long as I live now. They are a disgrace.

PK seems to be rising in the Labour ranks and likely to have a government role if they got in. Can't see him standing down anytime soon.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Fundamentally, that is simply untrue. Whether '79 to '97 or '10 to now. Maybe it's just a perpetuated mythology. Ironically your vote to justify looking after the most vulnerable is perhaps just that, irony.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

The idea that the vulnerable were worse off under Blair is absolutely laughable and doesn't stand up to any scrutiny at all.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I ask why you think Starmer is extremely unpleasant and/or repulsive?

It's a strange and strong accusation, most seem to be that he is boring and/or a bit lightweight. You're the first person I've seen who think he is repulsive.

FWIW, I quite like him, and all the time the Tory party are fronted by the likes of Patel, Raab, Mogg, Gove and Shapps he will be getting my vote.

It is not an accusation, he may be a lovely and honest guy, I just find him very irritating with his persistent hindsight and sniping and he has a slappable face imo. Am I OK to think that?

It’s not much of a contribution to a political debate I accept and no I’m not a Boris fan either.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

The reason you think this is just political confirmation bias.

I'm guessing your instinct tells you that a party that makes cuts is managing the economy, whereas a party that promotes investment in public services is economically irresponsible.

A lot of people believe Labour ruined the economy in 2007, when in fact it was a global financial crisis which was the cause.
But the Narrative for the past 15 years is that Labour spent all the money.

The Tories came in as the "safe pair of hands" and promptly embarked on a disastrous "Austerity" set of policies designed to eliminate the deficit by 2015.
I believe the deficit doubled during this period, partially because of the (now abandoned) Austerity measures, previously seen as "essential measures".

The Tories were also in power during the European exchange rate mechanism fiasco, where they burnt money to prop up the pound leading to the most dramatic rise in interest rates in my lifetime.

Both Parties have been in power during massive economic disasters and yet the shit sticks to Labour and not the Tories.

Personally I think both parties are pretty shit at managing the economy, because it is always based on how things play in the polls and not what's best for the country.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

im curious after your initial reasoning what makes you think a Burnham Labour would do better on the economy than Starmer Labour?

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
My MP Tim Loughton regardless of the colour of his rosette is a great constituency MP, whatever Boris does doesn’t change that.

Would agree with this. Tim Loughton does a great job.
I have voted in 8 general elections, 3 times Labour and 5 times Tory. Can't now say I would want Boris to stay but not convinced I would put my tick in another box. I think Starmer is growing on me more though.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The idea that the vulnerable were worse off under Blair is absolutely laughable and doesn't stand up to any scrutiny at all.

That may stand up during his time in tenure (and I liked Blair) but the spending left the economy very exposed to then what happened in Brown's leadership. Hence the infamous "there is nothing left" note left in number 11.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The reason you think this is just political confirmation bias.

I'm guessing your instinct tells you that a party that makes cuts is managing the economy, whereas a party that promotes investment in public services is economically irresponsible.

A lot of people believe Labour ruined the economy in 2007, when in fact it was a global financial crisis which was the cause.
But the Narrative for the past 15 years is that Labour spent all the money.

The Tories came in as the "safe pair of hands" and promptly embarked on a disastrous "Austerity" set of policies designed to eliminate the deficit by 2015.
I believe the deficit doubled during this period, partially because of the (now abandoned) Austerity measures, previously seen as "essential measures".

a good demonstration of confirmation bias :lolol:
the deficit doubled due to continuation of policies of spending and there were only peicemeal cuts under "austerity". most budgets increased and austerity amounted to reducing the increases.

good point that they all seem to make a hash of things when there's any problem.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
a good demonstration of confirmation bias :lolol:
the deficit doubled due to continuation of policies of spending and there were only peicemeal cuts under "austerity". most budgets increased and austerity amounted to reducing the increases.

good point that they all seem to make a hash of things when there's any problem.

Yeah we are all guilty of confirmation bias.

The narrative that the Tories are "good" with the economy and Labour aren't persists.

Ultimately it comes down to ideology though.
If you believe the economy is being managed well because your tax has gone down, but your public services are underfunded, then fair enough.

It's why these discussions rumble on, no one is right or wrong, just different priorities.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
That may stand up during his time in tenure (and I liked Blair) but the spending left the economy very exposed to then what happened in Brown's leadership. Hence the infamous "there is nothing left" note left in number 11.

[MENTION=21892]Uh_huh_him[/MENTION] has already covered most of the answer to this, but to recap the "nothing left" note followed a global crisis and the Tories' austerity ensured that pot got even less! And there will be less again after Covid. Rishi's note to his successor should be interesting. Of course, this will be because of Covid whereas the debt due to American sub-prime lending and unregulated gambling in the markets is "all because of Labour".

It's frankly very lazy thinking but backed up by the right wing press.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports