Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If (or rather when) Bissouma moves - who will replace him in the starting eleven?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I know the thread say if/when Bissouma leaves, but I agree. If we are to progress then Bissouma stays 2 years whilst the replacement is developed from Moder, White, Caicedo, AN other (£10 million) young Bissouma like signing. At the moment the central defence and Bissouma are so settled and secure it just isn't worth selling and disrupting it. We can't score enough, so to risk the defensive progress for £40/ £50 million doesn't feel worth it. So a new 4 yr contract at top wages (for us) and a reassurance he can leave in 2 years time, when the home grown replacement is up to speed.

If he develops shooting skills as quickly as he ironed out the defensive errors then Yves could be worth £60m - £70m in 2 years time, and we'll have had two years of progress and watching him back at the AMEX! I really hope he is enjoying being the joint first name on the sheet (with Sanchez) and wants to hear us singing his song again. I've got a good feeling he will be with us next season, and the inevitable rumours and talk this summer will be all about his agent getting him a decent wage on his new 4 year albion contract.

Keeping him for two years is unrealistic. One more year, he might be happy and if we finish in a higher position - 10th.-12th. say - his value may well have increased. His contract ends in 2023 though, and he'll be under no obligation to sign an extension so he'd just run down his contract and we'd get nowt (and as a free agent he would grab himself a whopping great signing on bonus too).

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Looks a real talent for sure. Championship next season for the next part of his development [emoji106]

If he makes the step up showing the same qualities we’ve got the next Ben White situation on our hands.

Shame Leeds aren't still in The Championship to make him the player Brighton never could. In fact shame Leeds aren't still in The Championship full stop:)

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I don't think Bissouma will sign a contract extension if he knows bigger clubs are interested... Why would he?

New contract ups his wages if he stays with us (for 1 or 2 more years) He knows we'll want top money this summer, so he may not get the move to a much bigger club. Better to be on better money while he is with us...

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
New contract ups his wages if he stays with us (for 1 or 2 more years) He knows we'll want top money this summer, so he may not get the move to a much bigger club. Better to be on better money while he is with us...

Well yeah, if he isn't sold then he might extend his contract.

But your OP intimated that he'll just sign a new 4 year contract regardless.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Really hope he can stay another year. I don't think it's a forgone conclusion he will go this season and I wouldn't if I was him if it was Arsenal who were the only serious bidders.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Ainsley Maitland-Niles, in part-exchange for Biss. £30m plus AMN from Arsenal wouldn't be a bad deal.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
One thing I will point out is that Biss wasn't the DM Monster that he is today when he was first put there. He came as a box to box or more AM when we recruited him. The talent was spotted and he has made that role his own but there were a few mistakes early on and there has been a lot of coaching put into the disciplined performances we see today.

Could the coaching team do the same again with another youngster ?

Exactly. That's why I have a sneaky suspicion that he'll put pen to paper on an additional 4 years and go next summer for kerching...

He's improved so much under GP and obviously loves it here that I think he'll stay for 1 more season.

Only caveat is if an offer of 'silly money' comes in (that's not £30m Arsenal) or TB needs to cash in for other club investments.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
None of the above.

My preference would be to sign Frank Anguissa from Fulham.

Why on earth would we pay out top dollar for someone in a position that we have lots of ready replacements for?

And since when did Uncle Tony go out and pay top dollar for an established PL player? His business model is totally different (and brilliant), all about developing talent here.

That's the tossers up the roads business model, usually a few years older tho and on laughable wages.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Why on earth would we pay out top dollar for someone in a position that we have lots of ready replacements for?

And since when did Uncle Tony go out and pay top dollar for an established PL player? His business model is totally different (and brilliant), all about developing talent here.

That's the tossers up the roads business model, usually a few years older tho and on laughable wages.

Because Bissouma is the reason we conceed so few goals, and none of those listed are the same type of player.

Perhaps Caceido could be as good but he is still only 19. Anguissa is that good right now and he will be available at a discount.

When you flirt with relegation as often as we do, the last thing we need is to suddenly find ourselves missing a key defensive component.

Anguissa is a clone of Bissouma and we'd probably come out of the merry-go-round £20m richer.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I think an issue may be that we will want around £50 million whilst his suitors will only want to pay £30 million. I am unsure as to whether there is an agreement there.

He tackles excellently and distributes well but he is not so strong at creating chances or scoring. This will likely dampen his value.

I think that we can do well without him, particularly given that we should have March and Lamptey back. However we only want to lose one of our 'stars' this summer and if it were to be YB I would accept that if we keep Sanchez who has so far been brilliant without any noticeable weakness. He is surely destined for the top 6 at some point.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No point in introducing succession planning and then ignoring the successors unless they are not up to it. Ours are. I expect Moder/Molumby to start in that area with cameo's from Caceido as the season wears on. This is Molumby's chance to break into the team and while it may prove beyond him they clearly think he has a chance having passed up two opportunities to sell him this past season.

Alzate can also do it so I'd expect Biss and Propper to move on providing both transfer funds and wage savings to be used elsewhere.

While it would be nice to keep him it will cause as many problems as it solves for succession planning to work you need spaces to open up above you. If they don't we will lose promising players and rapidly lose the rep we are gaining for giving young players a chance. If I was Bissouma's agent I'd be wanting to move my client this summer while his stock is high who knows what might happen next season? If they can get him to sign a new deal great but I think if that was going to happen it already would have...

Swap deals rarely happen but the one suggested the other day of Nketiah and AMN plus some money appeals. Gives us another option in midfield although I'd prefer to see him at LWB.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
TB won't be letting Yves go on the cheap and there will be fewer clubs spending big, so we have a great chance of keeping him.

If he does leave ....

Moder will slot in. Caicedo will come through more like next 2022/23. I think we'll allow Alzate, Molumby and Propper to further their careers away from the club.

MacAllister will get more game time but further up the pitch, probably at Gross's expense.

White will see a bit of midfield action as our defence will be harder to get in if we have all centre backs fit

The return of Solly and Tariq on the flanks means that the loss of Yves speed and mobility across the pitch will be mitigated.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
£50m is too much, around the £30/35m is more realistic.
However, he’s our player so as long as he doesn’t cause problems we can ask what we want, it’s that simple.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
£50m is too much, around the £30/35m is more realistic.
However, he’s our player so as long as he doesn’t cause problems we can ask what we want, it’s that simple.

This is why transfers will be so difficult post-COVID, post ESL collapse. Prices for top talent will be depressed and so the biggest clubs will try to extract players from all teams for post-Covid/ESL prices. But they also know they have to deal with Tony Bloom/Barber @#teamslikeBrighton. No doubt Bissouma/agent can be convinced to give us another year/18 months (new contract) and he'd still only be 26 and in his absolute prime. If the club's top-10 ambition is to be met they really do have to hold on to Bissouma while Caicedo gets up to speed or in fact joins him in midfield.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think an issue may be that we will want around £50 million whilst his suitors will only want to pay £30 million. I am unsure as to whether there is an agreement there.

He tackles excellently and distributes well but he is not so strong at creating chances or scoring. This will likely dampen his value.

I think that we can do well without him, particularly given that we should have March and Lamptey back. However we only want to lose one of our 'stars' this summer and if it were to be YB I would accept that if we keep Sanchez who has so far been brilliant without any noticeable weakness. He is surely destined for the top 6 at some point.

You and some others I've read on here recently are under rating him, what he does for a team and why the big clubs will be queuing up for him. We will miss him hugely.

Premier League records of comparable players who do a similar job to him playing for the top sides:

Kante: 192 appearances, 10 goals, 12 assists - 1 goal every 19 games and 1 assist every 16 games;
Fabinho: 82 appeaarances, 3 goals, 5 assists - 1 goal every 27 games and 1 assist every 16 games;
Fernandinho: 243 appearances, 18 goals, 16 assists 1 goal every 14 games and 1 assist every 15 games;
Ndidi: 142 appearances, 7 goals, 8 assists - 1 goal every 20 games and 1 assist every 18 games;
Fred: 74 appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist - 1 goal every 37 games and 1 assist every 74 games;
Rice: 128 appearances, 4 goals, 4 assists - 1 goal and 1 assist every 32 games.

They're not signing him to create or score, they're signing him so he can win the ball and then pass it to a De Bruyne, Foden, Havertz, Fernandes, Salah etc who will score or assist. IMO, there is no one better in the Premier League at doing that.

As I said on the player of the season thread which he should win by a country mile, he is still a bit under rated and appreciated by a number of Brighton fans.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
You and some others I've read on here recently are under rating him, what he does for a team and why the big clubs will be queuing up for him. We will miss him hugely.

Premier League records of comparable players who do a similar job to him playing for the top sides:

Kante: 192 appearances, 10 goals, 12 assists - 1 goal every 19 games and 1 assist every 16 games;
Fabinho: 82 appeaarances, 3 goals, 5 assists - 1 goal every 27 games and 1 assist every 16 games;
Fernandinho: 243 appearances, 18 goals, 16 assists 1 goal every 14 games and 1 assist every 15 games;
Ndidi: 142 appearances, 7 goals, 8 assists - 1 goal every 20 games and 1 assist every 18 games;
Fred: 74 appearances, 2 goals, 1 assist - 1 goal every 37 games and 1 assist every 74 games;
Rice: 128 appearances, 4 goals, 4 assists - 1 goal and 1 assist every 32 games.

They're not signing him to create or score, they're signing him so he can win the ball and then pass it to a De Bruyne, Foden, Havertz, Fernandes, Salah etc who will score or assist. IMO, there is no one better in the Premier League at doing that.

As I said on the player of the season thread which he should win by a country mile, he is still a bit under rated and appreciated by a number of Brighton fans.

I agree with you.

In normal times he is a £50m player

We'll have to see how the transfer market will be affected.

My guess is that under the circumstances nobody will offer us more than £35m. TB has then got to decide whether to accept this price as the new normal. Personally I doubt he will

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here