Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If (or rather when) Bissouma moves - who will replace him in the starting eleven?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It's funny when Liverpool and Utd are mentioned Biss' reported value is around £40m.
But when it's Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham :ohmy: Biss' reported value drops to around £30m.

Seeing Alzate mentioned reminds me that GPott has a system with blooding newbies - that being play'em at full back/wing back first.

Anyone who thinks someone other than Moder is slotting into Biss' boots hasn't really been paying attention.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
£50m is too much, around the £30/35m is more realistic.
However, he’s our player so as long as he doesn’t cause problems we can ask what we want, it’s that simple.
I think we’ll have a value on Yves that we won’t go under and my guess is that that’s £40m. I think Liverpool are best placed to get him, as I’m not sure that Arsenal have the cash.
If clubs don’t stump up the £40m then we won’t sell.
Success for us this summer would be to keep White and sadly sell Yves for £40m, using a proportion of that money to further invest in the squad. Cover for the LWB slot and possibly a striker. However the retention of Welbeck will be a big win as apart from a signing on fee we aren’t having to pay out a big transfer fee.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think we’ll have a value on Yves that we won’t go under and my guess is that that’s £40m. I think Liverpool are best placed to get him, as I’m not sure that Arsenal have the cash.
Success for us this summer would be to keep White and sadly sell Yves for £40m, using a proportion of that money to further invest in the squad. Cover for the LWB slot and possibly a striker. However the retention of Welbeck will be a big win as apart from a signing on fee we aren’t having to pay out a big transfer fee.

But do Liverpool have that much money? Their squad will now be budgeted on Champs League income (and possibly ESL money) which they aren't getting. I don't see them spending big on a central midfielder.

I said on another thread that PSG seems like a more plausible destination ... but I don't read rumour sites so no idea if this is on the cards

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He is good friends with Nicolas Pepe at Arsenal, but unless Arsenal win the Europa League, there will be no European Football for them next season, and the failed ESL could hit Arsenal, and all the rest of the six financially. If Arsenal really are his preferred destination, another season at Brighton, rather than a move to another club is going to make that move to them more likely the following season, if Arsenal cant do the deal at the moment for lack of funds.

Given the points we could have racked up with better finishing, if Biss thinks we have a solution to that problem, a top 6 finish would be seen as a very real possibility for us to attain next season, and doing that with Brighton, as a key player in the side, is much more impressive than doing it with any of the Big Six. He would have much more say over his next step in a years time too. With one year left on the contract, if he preferred a move to Arsenal over staying, or any other offer, he could make it happen by making the alternative running his contract down, and if it ends up that he does run the contract down, he will get a very nice hello from any club.

I won't be surprised if he moves on this summer, I will be disappointed, particularly as I don't think we have seen the best of him yet, but I don't think it is as probable as some seem to, and I can't see £30 million doing it, unless there are some big performance and sell on clauses attached.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
From a management point of view the remaining 4 games would present as an ideal opportunity to let certain players know they are not apart of your long term plans by having a few more promising talents in the match day squad, maybe even giving 1 or 2 some game time. I believe there is a group of 10-12 players that if we received a bid for any of them we would see them move on, similar to Mooy last summer, players who could play a part but who won't get more than 10 starts unless injuries require. We could probably accommodate 5-6 of these sales without reducing the competitive quality too much. Thinning the squad of some of the additional players will create opportunities for younger players to gain experience.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
But do Liverpool have that much money? Their squad will now be budgeted on Champs League income (and possibly ESL money) which they aren't getting. I don't see them spending big on a central midfielder.

I said on another thread that PSG seems like a more plausible destination ... but I don't read rumour sites so no idea if this is on the cards

The Reds have just sold 10% shares to a marketing company co-owned by that Basketball player for £567m, Its understood that will be used to purchase players including either Mbape or Harlaand (spelling).
Although who the hell really knows...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The Reds have just sold 10% shares to a marketing company co-owned by that Basketball player for £567m, Its understood that will be used to purchase players including either Mbape or Harlaand (spelling).
Although who the hell really knows...

Quite.

Apparently Heinz Hellmans is quite knowledgable . . . He has good sauces

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Honestly I don’t see Tony accepting £40m.

We rejected £30m for Championship Ben White. Yes it may be a deflated market, but that’s not certain, and even if so no reason to let an asset go cheap.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Because Bissouma is the reason we conceed so few goals, and none of those listed are the same type of player.

Anguissa is a clone of Bissouma and we'd probably come out of the merry-go-round £20m richer.

Its thats the case the Fulham player will be a target for the big clubs before Bissouma if he is a clone and half the price.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Its thats the case the Fulham player will be a target for the big clubs before Bissouma if he is a clone and half the price.

its all about potential, Bissouma looks like there is more to come.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020

We rejected £30m for Championship Ben White. Yes it may be a deflated market, but that’s not certain, and even if so no reason to let an asset go cheap.

Agreed. What's the point in selling cheaply, when we can hold on and play Bissouma for another year. His age and improvements over the last two years point to him getting better and better and therefore worth more. I think it will take silly money, minimum £50 million to get him way from us. Tony knows his value and its only going up...

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Because Bissouma is the reason we conceed so few goals, and none of those listed are the same type of player.

Perhaps Caceido could be as good but he is still only 19. Anguissa is that good right now and he will be available at a discount.

When you flirt with relegation as often as we do, the last thing we need is to suddenly find ourselves missing a key defensive component.

Anguissa is a clone of Bissouma and we'd probably come out of the merry-go-round £20m richer.

What if we replaced him with Moder who is more of a goalscorer than Bissouma? Maybe we concede more but then also score more.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
What if we replaced him with Moder who is more of a goalscorer than Bissouma? Maybe we concede more but then also score more.

Maybe. And Veltman has done so well this season maybe we could push White into midfield alongside Moder, move Veltman to the right of the 3 and bring back Lamptey.

Nice balance with a greater goal threat without the huge drop in defensive quality.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I hope you are right but there's a balance between letting a player go who has knuckled down and not tried to force the move, set the message that Brighton are a club to come if you want to progress to a top 4 team and play CL football, and also getting a decent price for him, without the risk of pricing him out of the market and so pissing off the player so that we lose his goodwill. I'm sure that we've given Yves some assurances that we won't stand in his way this summer, especially after the January interest. Also, we are in a deflated market. If we sell Bissouma and we get £40/£45m then I'd be ok with it, albeit have some sadness in my heart that our best midfielder to date has gone.
What we need is some competition to sign him. I know Arsenal and Liverpool are interested and I hope that one or two others join the race.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Last few games Bissouma has been a bit more advanced, so maybe Moder is the man who can play the holding role and ghost into the penalty area when required. From the little I've seen of Moder he does look like a potential goal scorer and probably more clinical than Bissouma.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here