Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Man Utd did to us what we're doing to Grimsby......

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think Brighton fans are taking beating Grimsby for granted but when you know the winner is guaranteed to play at Wembley, we are Prem and they are in the fourth tier, we've had one appearance at Wembley in 32 years then it is only natural to be talking about Wembley right now.

In the same way - although the odds are stacked against them - I bet many of their fans are talking about Wembley too.

This is human nature - I'm sure when Goliath was fighting David he probably had one eye on the Philistine Wrestling Cup Final that weekend.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m expecting a few fish puns between now and the game but that’s another dory.
I'm working on it but I only won the reward for the year last week. Feel like a right chub

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I don't think Brighton fans are taking beating Grimsby for granted but when you know the winner is guaranteed to play at Wembley, we are Prem and they are in the fourth tier, we've had one appearance at Wembley in 32 years then it is only natural to be talking about Wembley right now.

In the same way - although the odds are stacked against them - I bet many of their fans are talking about Wembley too.

This is human nature - I'm sure when Goliath was fighting David he probably had one eye on the Philistine Wrestling Cup Final that weekend.
I don’t think there’s many Grimsby fans getting overly excited or booking their Wembley hotels just yet, even if we are technically just a game away. A game from which we are highly unlikely to emerge victorious.

Curiously, on of the unexpected benefits of being absolutely trash for most of the last 16 years is that we’ve had our fair share of visits to the new Wembley. 5 since 2008, a JPT final, two National League play-off finals and two FA Trophy finals.

Granted, it would be a rather different prospect to be facing Manchester United there rather than Forest Green or Halifax, but I think it would be more the occasion than the venue that would matter most to Town fans (plus the financial upside for the club).

Of course, I say all of the above, very much resigned to the fact that I stand about as much chance of winning the lottery in the next couple of weeks than I do watching Grimsby in an FA Cup semi-final. And I don’t do the lottery.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t think there’s many Grimsby fans getting overly excited or booking their Wembley hotels just yet, even if we are technically just a game away. A game from which we are highly unlikely to emerge victorious.

Curiously, on of the unexpected benefits of being absolutely trash for most of the last 16 years is that we’ve had our fair share of visits to the new Wembley. 5 since 2008, a JPT final, two National League play-off finals and two FA Trophy finals.

Granted, it would be a rather different prospect to be facing Manchester United there rather than Forest Green or Halifax, but I think it would be more the occasion than the venue that would matter most to Town fans (plus the financial upside for the club).

Of course, I say all of the above, very much resigned to the fact that I stand about as much chance of winning the lottery in the next couple of weeks than I do watching Grimsby in an FA Cup semi-final. And I don’t do the lottery.
I’ve haddock enough of bloody Grimsby fans getting all Billy big pollocks about the number of times they have been to Wembley. We need to put a copy of this post up on the dressing room wall.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I think we played Spurs there once or twice too but people are forgetting that as it wasn’t proper Wembley as such…

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I think we played Spurs there once or twice too but people are forgetting that as it wasn’t proper Wembley as such…
Don't be a silly sprat

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The good news is it doesn't matter one jot what any Albion fan thinks, says or does ahead of the Grimsby game - it will have literally no impact on the outcome.

People can try to tempt fate all they like - fate isn't watching, listening and can't be tempted. Ever.

The only thing that matters is the approach of the team and coaching staff to the fixture. There's a lot of young men who will be representing us who have never played at Wembley before and will be willing to bust a gut to get there. Collectively that have the technical ability to give themselves a very high chance of success, but "very high" isn't guaranteed, which is why we al love football.
Were loose.

Everyone knows that.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005

It's the piece of cod which passeth all understanding, Just be a Ray Bream believer.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Southampton the laughing stock of English football at the moment, but yes, i'll be giving Grimsby Town and the FA Cup my respect.
I think you'll find that's Chelsea

anyway . . .it's only a few tools and teens that are 'giving it large'

some of us have witnessed defeat to many of the great teams that are scattered round the country and not owned by ****s, or treat the rest of the footballing world like them. . It should be a proper cup tie. The best of the round.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We’ll have a whale of a time, no plaice for negativity.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think I’ll leave NSC to its own devices for a little while, at least until all the fish puns have died down a bit…
They’ll come and visit you in your breams.

Kitcatt

Apr 7, 2017
I think it's a fantastic story. Let's face it we have been at their level and I imagine they are absolutely buzzing today. Personally I am taking nothing for granted, but at the same time I do think we are slight favourites. We are also enjoying the greatest time of our lives as Albion fans and we should enjoy it.

Hope the Grimsby fans that come down have a great time in our wonderful city and that its a great game and Grimsby give a really good account of themselves, but ultimately come up short. But then I would say that.
Question is, who from our side will have the Robbie Keane moment that made us come up short when we played spurs at theirs all those years ago… I’ll go for March

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think I’ll leave NSC to its own devices for a little while, at least until all the fish puns have died down a bit…
Come back and trawl through the thread a bit later, we don’t want a decent poster like you slipping through the net and disappearing without a trace - we know you’re hooked really so no need for any more barbs.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
They’ll come and visit you in your breams.

Come back and trawl through the thread a bit later, we don’t want a decent poster like you slipping through the net and disappearing without a trace - we know you’re hooked really so no need for any more barbs.

Deary, deary me boys. Does every Albion thread on oppo forums descend into an oblivion of seagull puns, or is it just us that gets that treatment? If you came over to the Grimsby board, I’d simply thank you for dropping in.

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
96098BE4-9D11-4BAB-98E1-F0B40625ABBD.jpeg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here