Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] If Man Utd did to us what we're doing to Grimsby......

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'd rather work off of ACTUAL goals rather than xG.

I see your point though and 100% agree with your last sentence.
I know xG is a bit Marmite, but I only use it in this instance to try to highlight that despite teams learning about how we play and trying to counter it - generally sitting off a bit and not pressing us as we clearly want - we are still getting through sides, breaking them down and creating very good goalscoring opportunities.

We've just not been doing the final, and most important, bit. We should have beaten both Palace and Fulham easily. As it turns out, I think Bournemouth gave us more problems than the other two combined and we were probably slightly fortunate to take all three points from that one.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
We are the perfect draw for them, Premier League, but can be beaten if the Planets align.
Southampton showed them no respect,only starting 1 of the team who lost to Dirty Leeds until they were 2 down,. Okay,both penalties and one of those were very dubious,but they still count. I hope we are not tempted to make the same mistake.
I also am old enough to remember Walton and Hersham, and Leatherhead. Weren’t we expected to win both of those at a canter?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can anyone spot themselves in these photos? I was up for the game with the 'flying squad' fans and took quite a few photos

Pub Pre Match
View attachment 157775

Is this you?
View attachment 157784

Warm Up
View attachment 157780

Silly Sod
View attachment 157781

Behind the goal
View attachment 157776

Post Match
View attachment 157777

Post Match
View attachment 157782
View attachment 157787

One for my favourite Moderator
View attachment 157785
Great weekend - smoked a spliff with a tramp on a roof. Long story.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Once bitten twice shy, after we 'murdered' Palace 0-0 in the Play off first leg in 2013, I made the arrogant, and ultimately school boy error of booking the Love Bus for Wembley for the final on the May Bank Holiday weekend.

Not this time.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What are we doing to Grimsby?

What am I missing? I've not seen anything offensive or patronising towards them. Which, if that is the case, why would we be mad at Man u for doing it?

I think the implication is that we're taking defeating them for granted.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We are the perfect draw for them, Premier League, but can be beaten if the Planets align.
Southampton showed them no respect,only starting 1 of the team who lost to Dirty Leeds until they were 2 down,. Okay,both penalties and one of those were very dubious,but they still count. I hope we are not tempted to make the same mistake.
I also am old enough to remember Walton and Hersham, and Leatherhead. Weren’t we expected to win both of those at a canter?
We were....and......Bedford Town...Barnet...Barnsley....Oxford....Kingstonian....Lincoln....Charlton.....to name a few.....I'm sure there are more.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
I'm not sure I agree with that.

In all three of those Premier League games we created a hatful of chances - we just didn't score them. Depending on which model you use, we were close to an xG of 3 each time.

Being "worked out" doesn't involve letting a side create a lot and then hoping they fail to convert.

We seem to be infected with Potter-itis - let's just hope it passes soon.
Yep agreed. A few posters have said 'we've been worked out' recently and I just dont see it. We dominated Bournemouth, won, and should have scored more. We dominated Palace, drew, and would have won if VAR had done its job, Sanchez hadnt f***ed up, or had scored another of our many chances. Fulham was a game we again dominated and were by far the better footballing team, we just couldnt take one of our chances and got hit with a sucked punch. It doesnt exactly scream 'we've been worked out'. Just an unlucky few games, and been a bit like last season in front of goal. If being worked out, is another team parking the bus but still letting us have chances then i think we're doing okay, just need to improve the ruthlessness infront of goal.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Southampton losing to them is no great surprise, when you are at the bottom of the league hardly anything goes your way. You get the odd result not enough to keep you up, getting beat by a team a few divisions below is part of the course. As Brighton fans we’ve all been there and it’s painful.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Especially if told while stoned :lolol:
Wasn’t my stuff - used to do it as a kid but when in Cleethorpes on a hotel roof with a tramp (who had somehow blagged his way into our hotel room without us being there by telling the lady he was my son - he wasn’t a real tramp), if you get offered a blast you take it. Must’ve been 17 or so too - prob still take it now tbh 🤣🤷🏻‍♂️

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think the implication is that we're taking defeating them for granted.
that's what I figured but I've not seen anything disrespectful.

Everyone whether Brighton or Grimsby or neutral will expect us to win. That's natural. And it's natural for fans to think ahead. You can guarantee that Grimsby fans will be dreaming of the semi final, dreaming that they get the winners of Sheff utd/Blackburn, dreaming that they win the whole thing. That's just being a football fan.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
What's the problem? 90% if us (at least) were hoping for a home draw with Grimsby, the weakest team left in this year's competition to lose too Manchester City at Wembley. We're odds on favourites for a reason - doesn't mean we will win; if our players turn out with the idea of a gentle stroll in the park, upsets can happen........... but, we still should win.

But come on - it's almost the perfect draw for us. Just about the only thing that could have been better would have been if Manchester City had drawn United instead of Burnley.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As it's their big day out, should we play our Under 18's and make a bit of a game of the occasion?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
What’s your Inter railing holiday got to do with the price of fish ?
Price of fish will go down due to us giving Grimsby all the money from our game against them. This will in turn allow us(the general public) greater savings on our fish suppers thus allowing us to save enough to go inter railing.

Also, we will win the f.a cup this year, the europa league next season and will almost definitely then win the champions league in 2025. I will then be able to combine inter railing with watching the Albion win the Champions league.

This will all INEVITABLY happen now we are drawn against Grimsby in the quarter finals. :eek: :ascarf:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here