Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

If Gus got the sack, would you have him back?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No thanks, engineered his exit best not to have him back ... he will drop down the leagues again when he eventually gets the tin tack

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I was wondering this yesterday and asked myself. If Gus got the sack from Sunderland and came to Tony a humbled and changed man and asked for a second chance, would you have him back after his previous tenure?

I think if Tony was willing to have him I'd take him back in a heart beat. The pain and bitterness from his first time in charge has worn off for me.

Likewise if OG was to come back with a strong assistant I'd take him in a heartbeat also.

Nothing against CH in the slightest, but I also don't think he'll be the man to take us up. He'll give us a few seasons of mid table mediocrity IMO.

I'd rather eat my own shit than have that **** back!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
How many couples that have gone through a bitter, acrimonious divorce end up remarrying and living happily ever after? Move on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It always seems a coincidence that the 2 players who left to join Gus, left under bad terms. No similar behaviour from Leo.

Clearly they had serpent Poyet whispering in their ears, and someone was advising them on how to engineer their moves.

We are well rid of Gus, it's great that he is now someone else's problem.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I love the way you accuse some fans of selective memory disorder by focusing on the negatives, but conveniently forgetting the escape from relegation in his very first managerial position, and the record breaking (several records) season that followed to ensure that we went into the Amex in the Championship and not as a League 1 or even a League 2 team.
If you're going to discuss Gus Poyet then discuss the whole 3.5 years.

He did well at Division One level and consolidated in the Championship.
If you get the formula right, you can head straight for the PL, as did Norwich and Soton. Lambert and Adkins managed it, Poyet didn't. His career at BHA was good but not outstanding. ( Mullery did better, in a much stronger second tier )
As I said before, his innate caution will always hinder his progress.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He did well at Division One level and consolidated in the Championship.
If you get the formula right, you can head straight for the PL, as did Norwich and Soton. Lambert and Adkins managed it, Poyet didn't. His career at BHA was good but not outstanding. ( Mullery did better, in a much stronger second tier )
As I said before, his innate caution will always hinder his progress.
We were his first job. He's only in his second managerial position now, having won a relegation battle, & achieved a Wembley final.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How many couples that have gone through a bitter, acrimonious divorce end up remarrying and living happily ever after? Move on.

Exactly, but the subject keeps cropping up so all the wise ones can tell us in graphic terms how their hatred is more intense than anyone else's.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Gus was (and i suspect still is) just like Dean Wilkins

:lolol:

Forgot that Manager is part of the management team, not part of the playing squad ???

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
In a heartbeat. Brought me the best times I've experienced as a Brighton fan

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Am I alone in thinking that if Gus was sacked the only way for him would be down. Although successful while he was here, he seems to be failing at the top level and is not doing as well as our current manager? Why would we go backwards.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He has a few other bigger clubs than us to manage before he needs to contemplate a club at our current status.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Why would anyone want him at the moment? He bottled it at Brighton (or seemed to) and after initial success at Sunderland seems to have lost it there. Although I don't know that much about Sunderland, their squad look better than the bottom 5 (probably bottom 3) that they will end up in.

I'd never say never though as none of us know what will happen in the future, I certainly can't see it happening any time soon. In fact, after he is sacked at Sunderland, I can't see him managing in this country for some time. He's not going to get a PL job and thinks he's too good for The Championship.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Why would anyone want him at the moment? He bottled it at Brighton (or seemed to) and after initial success at Sunderland seems to have lost it there. Although I don't know that much about Sunderland, their squad look better than the bottom 5 (probably bottom 3) that they will end up in.

I'd never say never though as none of us know what will happen in the future, I certainly can't see it happening any time soon. In fact, after he is sacked at Sunderland, I can't see him managing in this country for some time. He's not going to get a PL job and thinks he's too good for The Championship.

Poyet is an experienced footballer person, he knows his worth.

Not sure what went on here, but just like Bridcutt, you rarely let up an opportunity to manage or play in the PL with all of its associated riches.

Both play-offs we didnt dominate the league we snuck in, an odd goal here or bad decision there would have condemned us to mid table.

So depending on his options, if sacked he will find where he is wanted and if the contract is reasonable will consider it, whichever league.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Gus did neither himself nor the club any favours in his impatience to leave.

He was building something at the Albion, he was growing with the club, and would have established both himself and the club in the Premier League, before, inevitably, moving on to a new challenge.

He left long before he was ready to manage in the top-flight.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
0f81608.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here